neologist

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 02:11 pm
Or as Setanta would say: The sage of snide silliness
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 09:47 pm
RexRed wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Also there are giant dents in the moon but only on one side... the side that faces the earth.

The Article wrote:
Maria are concentrated on the side of the moon that faces the Earth; the far side has very few of these plains. Scientists don't know why this is so.

Comment:
Wrong on two points... the craters are "concentrated" on the near side facing the earth and scientists don't know why this is so...

I guess "scientists" forgot to ask you rosborne... Smile

Rex, if you meant to say that something was *concentrated* on one side of the moon instead of the other, then you should say that in the first place instead of saying that there are giants dents only on one side of the moon, which isn't what the article says at all.

The Lunar Maria are large ancient impact sites which filled with magma eons ago. The fact that the moon is tidally locked with the Earth seems like a fairly obvious reason for an uneven dispersal of impacts on the surface, whether it be ancient ones, or younger ones, which have obscured the ancient Maria.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 10:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
RexRed wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Also there are giant dents in the moon but only on one side... the side that faces the earth.

The Article wrote:
Maria are concentrated on the side of the moon that faces the Earth; the far side has very few of these plains. Scientists don't know why this is so.

Comment:
Wrong on two points... the craters are "concentrated" on the near side facing the earth and scientists don't know why this is so...

I guess "scientists" forgot to ask you rosborne... Smile

Rex, if you meant to say that something was *concentrated* on one side of the moon instead of the other, then you should say that in the first place instead of saying that there are giants dents only on one side of the moon, which isn't what the article says at all.

The Lunar Maria are large ancient impact sites which filled with magma eons ago. The fact that the moon is tidally locked with the Earth seems like a fairly obvious reason for an uneven dispersal of impacts on the surface, whether it be ancient ones, or younger ones, which have obscured the ancient Maria.

You are probably right.. But I don't dismiss the idea that life could have been more plentiful on the moon at one time... This life would have avoided the exposed side of the moon. If you look at the low small plains on the moon they looks like they were made by bacteria or fungus, like it is a blemishes on an apple. The old impacts that you are referring to that you say filled with lava are also concentrated on one side. So if one uses logic the scared up surface would not be the side facing toward the earth. It is the other side that is the side exposed to outside impacts... So your ideas of how these "dents" came into the moon is a bit curious... I would only surmise that if the outside of the moon was dented and then something turned the moon just enough to turn it completely around. I tend to think the dents are due to life that could survive because the moon's inner side was shielded from the sun.

When I look at the moon the dents look like they are a place where a huge deposit of life was present. It looked that way to me but that does not make it so... But I can also speculate... and I do not think there is one scientist that would argue with me that, life could have existed on the moon at some time in it's billion year old history... There may be unknown species of life that we cannot detect yet. Like rocks that are animals... There are animals in the deepest parts of the ocean that look exactly like ferns... animals can look like rocks too...

I am just saying it like I see it and I think the moon was "possibly" once inhabited by life that made these "trenches".

If you look at the picture of the moon look at the impact crater at the bottom. It is white a like a star and smaller. But the planes look like they were made by acid. These bacteria can digest rock and they excrete acids. They could theoretically survive on the moon but possibly only one side...

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/mgifs/Moonsurface.GIF
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:30 pm
I think it is interesting to consider that the interior of the sun may at one time have been inhabited by life.

There are many aspects of this possibility that are often overlooked by our textbooks, but it certainly looks like it may have happened at one time. There is matter there, and also great quantities of energy, and when I look at images of the sun it often seems to be teeming with movement and quite lifelike.

It would certainly be worthwhile to know what types of animals (would they be classified animals?) might be able to exist and evolve there, and whether or not they use calcium carbonate in sufficient quantities to accelerate cranial growth, which may lead to other further interesting things.

The possibilities of what may really be happening are quite amazing once you think about it what chemical and physical events may truly account for the images that keep coming to mind when we investigate the universe!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 30 May, 2005 11:38 pm
Whew. Joe Sixpack and I need to retreat.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/cheers.gif
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 06:17 am
CodeBorg wrote:
I think it is interesting to consider that the interior of the sun may at one time have been inhabited by life.

_Sun Diver_ by David Brin.

(Plasma based life in the Sun).
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:18 am
Brin is an interesting writer--that's one i've not read, although i've read his other stuff.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:22 am
Plasma based life? I just left the room for a haircut.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:16 am
farmerman wrote:
Plasma based life? I just left the room for a haircut.

David Brin writes fiction, but then again, so many of the posts on this thread are fiction that it fits. Smile
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:22 am
Setanta wrote:
Brin is an interesting writer--that's one i've not read, although i've read his other stuff.

I didn't like _Sun Diver_ very much. But I loved _Startide Rising_.

His other books are good, but not *as* good as _Startide Rising_ (in my opinion of course). Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:23 am
rosborne and CodeBorg, Life on the sun is a possibility. It wasn't until recently I learned about the life source close to vulcanic activity in our oceans - with temperatures that would normally cook/kill anything else. Interesting question; maybe there will be a time when our scientists will be able to confirm or deny that aspect of our sun and/or other planets.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:29 am
rosborne979 wrote:
David Brin writes fiction, but then again, so many of the posts on this thread are fiction that it fits.

Except for me. As you know, I am totally serious and never confused by anything - except for Setanta's avatar slide show. Could that really be him posing with Miss Cleopatra? I shall ponder this interminably.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 10:26 am
For awhile, I thought Setanta was a woman...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 02:28 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
CodeBorg wrote:

_Sun Diver_ by David Brin.

(Plasma based life in the Sun).

It is hard to imagine life living "in" the sun where fusion is taking place.

But, there could be a plasma layer that is somewhere in the space outside of the sun and this plasma may be a side effect of the sun's activities. Light particles or living photons may be a side effect of a sun... I see so many possibilities for life being made by the big bang/sun/earth/light/atoms but it is more like many possibilities all interacting in concert. I feel safe in assuming that life is a product of the physical world. To me this proves God is in nature... perhaps even in the fusion of the sun...

1 John 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light [phos], and in him is no darkness at all.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:24 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
For awhile, I thought Setanta was a woman...
Obviously you didn't read his enlightening post about a run in with a rabid scientologist.http://web4.ehost-services.com/el2ton1/boxing.gifYo mama!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:27 pm
Quote, "For awhile, I thought Setanta was a woman..." I posted an article recently on the ability of some animals to change their sex. Who knows? LOL
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:33 pm
Yer in big trouble now, C.I.. Setanta is nearly as big and almost as ugly as I am.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:43 pm
He wouldn't dare hurt an old man like me; he'd be in bigger trouble. Wink Besides, he knows me well enough to know that I mean it as a joke.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 07:50 pm
Are we all a bunch of old geezers?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 31 May, 2005 09:17 pm
I am in the bright dawn of my geezerhood
0 Replies