rosborne979

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:15 am
farmerman wrote:
or else this thread will die of terminal weirdness.

I think Terminal Weirdness is all that's keeping this thread going at this point Wink
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:29 am
I'd be glad to see someone pronounce the obsequies, but i rather suspect that weirdness might prevail for some time to come . . .
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:09 am
Quote:
It's consistent with everything we have seen, measured, studied.

Scientist have never been able to measure, see, or study the actual cross-species event.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:43 am
thunder,

I am not sure what you mean by "cross-species". Scientists generally refer to species with a common ancestor.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:46 am
What I meant is that scientists have never been able to find any evidence that actually shows that one animal actually had a common ancestor with one of another species.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
thunder,

That evidence involves several specialized scientific fields. Rosborne and farmerman could explain it but I feel they already have.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:54 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
What I meant is that scientists have never been able to find any evidence that actually shows that one animal actually had a common ancestor with one of another species.
They have also never been able to produce a photograph of an atom with a sign pointing to it saying "ATOM. TICKETS $10. ====>." You are pitting utter superstition based on the supernatural, and ancient texts written by our pre-scientific ancestors, against science and the scientific method. If you need this to comfort you, I suppose you will continue, but it's a foolish, losing battle. History has more than adequately demonstrated that science works. You are, after all, communicating with us by Internet, not by prayer. When you get sick, I presume that you use a doctor of medicine, rather than a faith healer. The one technique works verifiably. The other does not. Now rearrange the words of my post in some puerile manner to give the superficial appearance of a snappy comeback.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:25 am
EVOLUTION IS NOT SCIENCE, it is nothing more than another religion. It is a guess at something that cannot be tested, experimented, or anything else. It is a big guess that is sugar coated with "science" The only reason anyone still believes it is because it is the only thing that they can claim as evidence to the nonexistance of God. They want to do whatever they want, and if the "logical thought" b.s of "science" says that there doesn't have to be a God, everyone will jump on board.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
That has got to be the most succinct statement of the religiously fanatical paranoia about a theory of evolution which i have ever read . . . thanks, Boss . . .
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
EVOLUTION IS NOT SCIENCE, it is nothing more than another religion. It is a guess at something that cannot be tested, experimented, or anything else. It is a big guess that is sugar coated with "science" The only reason anyone still believes it is because it is the only thing that they can claim as evidence to the nonexistance of God. They want to do whatever they want, and if the "logical thought" b.s of "science" says that there doesn't have to be a God, everyone will jump on board.

The basic theory of evolution, inspired by countless observations of nature both in the past and the present, consists of two and only two principles, which are pretty much self-evident:

1. In large populations, over long periods of time, genetic characteristics which have a survival value come to dominate the gene pool, and crowd out competing traits which provide less survival advantage.

2. Mutation - from time to time a mistake is made in inheritance, and once in a blue moon it is beneficial. Thus, there is a source of new traits in a gene pool.

Therefore, over long periods of time, a species will become better able to survive in its environmnt and compete with predators and competitors. Generally this means a continuing increase in complexity. This view of nature is kind of superficially obvious, but is also visible directly for any species with short generations, e.g. the way bacteria develop immunity to medicine. Of course, your crowd simply labels any situation in which you can see evolution functioning in your face as "micro-evolution." It's science. It is studied by scientists. There is a huge amount of accumulated evidence being studied by a large number of peope. But you stick to your ancient text written thousands of years ago. Now that's real science.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:40 am
Quote:

1. In large populations, over long periods of time, genetic characteristics which have a survival value come to dominate the gene pool, and crowd out competing traits which provide less survival advantage.

That's why we evolved love right? Because it helps us survive...ok
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:43 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

That's why we evolved love right? Because it helps us survive...ok

I compliment you on your masterful disproof of the theory of evolution. How generations of scientists could have missed this, I do not know.

Most likely, the capacity for love is a survival trait, or was in our prehistoric environment. However, not every trait that we have is a survival trait. Some traits are mere accident, and some are counter-survival traits that evolution has not yet extinguished.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:25 am
Quote:

I compliment you on your masterful disproof of the theory of evolution.

Thank you!

Quote:
However, not every trait that we have is a survival trait. Some traits are mere accident, and some are counter-survival traits that evolution has not yet extinguished.

Do we see traits appear out of nowhere today? Think of how wierd it would have been to have the first child that could love. The rest act like monkeys yet the one child tries to show affection.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:58 am
CodeBorg wrote:
RexRed,

How would you relate that information
to the topic of this thread?

Have you read the whole thread?

I relate it because magnetism surely played a part in how evolution started...

I would suggest anyone who is interested in carrying on a conversation that is relevant to this actual discussion to read the entire post...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:00 am
Translations: This thread is about whatever RR says it is . . .

It got interesting again for a while there, RR . . . while you were gone . . .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:19 am
A school board election which will take place on May 17 reflects some of the issues discussed in this thread.

In October 2004, the Dover, Pennsylvania school board voted to include intelligent design theory with the teaching of evolutionary theory in high school biology classes. In December, eleven parents filed a First Amendment lawsuit against the Dover school district stating that intelligent design theory represents a religious view and may not be included in public school science education.

Seven seats on the Dover school board will be decided in the May 17 election. There are 18 candidates for those 7 seats. Nine candidates support intelligent design: Leber, Short, Riddle, Cashman, Bonsell, Rowand, Harkins, Kline, and Arnold. The other nine candidates oppose intelligent design: Yingling, Brown, Rehm, Gurreri, Reinking, Emig, Dapp, Rob McIlvaine, and Judy McIlvaine.

Source: York Daily Record (York County Pennsylvania)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:25 am
I have a treat for you all... here boy! hehe

There is a new movie out called "What the bleep do we know?" I just watched half of it this morning for the first time... It is produced by leading physicists.

It turns out I am right any you are all (maybe not all) wrong... I am right to speculate on reality and quantum physics is "a school of unending possibilities"...

You need to see this film and you will maybe finally start thinking outside of the "box".

If you have bit torrent and on torrentspy.com and a fast connection you can search and download the 700mb film there. Or you can go out and pay and see it in the movies at the theatre just released this week (I suggest this option)...

Some of the interesting things said in the movie is that the universe in nearly empty... Didn't I in so many words just say that?

They say water is the most receptive of all four elements. Water can respond to thoughts.

They also say that the atom is I think it was 80% vacuum and only a minute amount of actual matter. And the atom only materializes when we attempt to look at it but in it's other state it is in several if not many places at one time. Sounds like God...

They say that an object can occupy two places at one time and in essence that reality is only a small part of what is possible.

They also say that the atom is pure intelligence... They also say that most people cannot perceive reality because their mind is not trained to recognize it. Sounds like some in this post... They say people need a shaman to help them see... We only perceive about 20% of what our eyes see.

This is even weirder but they say they cannot find the "observer" part of the mind... They say it is absolutely no where in the body they have checked everywhere... So they relate this observer to "thoughts" that are like karma and a spirit...

I will not give away more of the movie but it is definitely a good show...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:31 am
Setanta wrote:
Translations: This thread is about whatever RR says it is . . .

It got interesting again for a while there, RR . . . while you were gone . . .

Beauty/interest is subjective and in the eye of the beholder...

But you cannot resist to slam me again... what the hell is your problem?
People can talk about anything they choose and I have not tried in any way to change or forcibly direct the subject matter other than to shut off your insults which have absolutely nothing relative to add to this discussion. I have the right to give my opinion in this post and you are really looking foolish in trying prevent me from this civil right....

This discussion "was" going fine till you decided to come in and toss yet again another insult at a member of the discussion... namely myself. The reason why the discussion was going fine was because you were not in there insulting me or anyone else.

And if you noticed I have made a few comments since your last post and after my comments, that was when the discussion resumed... because there was a slight hope that you would stop badgering me and people could get back to the subject matter...

I tried to clean up the air of this post so that people could resume the discussions constructively and you come in and attack me again.

Well if you just don't want to hear my own humble opinion well you don't have to read them. Sound fair enough? I am not spaming this thread or I would have been booted by now. What I say is relative to the discussion and I may in the end be proven right. If I am right don't think about your own closed mind but think about those in the discussion who have an open mind... I try to keep my opinions relative to the discussion. You may argue that I drift sometimes into the metaphysical... that is your only criticism of me... Well this is a religious thread... So why don't you go and post your stuff in an anger management thread and let's let the discussion continue here... You don't even know me and all you are is rash judgments and insults... can someone else here help me out and tell Setanta to chill out?

strike 1
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:19 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Quote:
However, not every trait that we have is a survival trait. Some traits are mere accident, and some are counter-survival traits that evolution has not yet extinguished.

Do we see traits appear out of nowhere today? Think of how wierd it would have been to have the first child that could love. The rest act like monkeys yet the one child tries to show affection.

Complex traits certainly did not appear in one generation. As our ancestors made a transition from unicellular organisms to homo sapiens over millions of years, undoubtedly our psychological characteristics gradually formed and became more complex. There is very likely a survival advantage connected to the ability to form emotional attachment.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:23 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:

Thank you!

Quote:

That is your whole premise that "traits come out of nowhere"... God... You are trying to disprove what you are proving... or am I not seeing something here?
0 Replies