Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:40 pm
How very cordial of them . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm
I think the problem is the catholics do not take the word of God as literally as the protestants... The catholics will ignore things in the Bible for traditional "exceptions"... but the protestants take every word as God's absolute will. The protestants have misunderstood Genesis for years and out of frustration and fear lashed out at evolution. It will take some time but once the protestants realize that evolution is taught in Genesis they will no longer have a problem with it... I was raised a protestant and I had to learn much to reconcile Genesis with my faith in evolution... Smile

The protestant is trained to take the Bible over any other source of learning whatsoever... It is when their interpretation of the Bible is erroneous that the protestant can have problems... This is where there is hope that the spirit will guide you in grace...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:56 pm
How very surprising--you know even less about sectarian christianity than you do science . . . that was a surprise . . .

By the way, understanding a theory of evolution requires thoughtful understanding, not faith . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 02:05 pm
Setanta wrote:
How very surprising--you know even less about sectarian christianity than you do science . . . that was a surprise . . .

By the way, understanding a theory of evolution requires thoughtful understanding, not faith . . .

You make allegations but do not back them up with example.

Where was I wrong about Christianity?

I was using "faith" as rhetorical...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 02:14 pm
I didn't say you were wrong, per se . . . this is another stirling example of your abyssmal lack of reading comprehension skills.

You refer to Protestants as though they were a sectarian monolith. To which Protestants were you referring: Albigensians, Waldensians, Walloons, Hussites, Calvinists, Baptists, Congregationalists, Independents, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Dutch Reform, German Reform, Mennonites, Moravians, Silesians? Of course, that takes no notice of the many subsects of each of these. To say that all Protestants believe anything in common is only slightly less naive than a contention that life arose from starlight "falling" on the earth for aeons.

The statement "I was using 'faith' as rhetorical" is too silly for further comment . . .
0 Replies

recklesssarcastic

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:26 pm
yup...You're right, FarmerMan. I don't know much about the catholic church....I'm atheist.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 03:30 pm
Setanta wrote:
I didn't say you were wrong, per se . . . this is another stirling example of your abyssmal lack of reading comprehension skills.

You refer to Protestants as though they were a sectarian monolith. To which Protestants were you referring: Albigensians, Waldensians, Walloons, Hussites, Calvinists, Baptists, Congregationalists, Independents, Episcopalians, Lutherans, Methodists, Presbyterians, Dutch Reform, German Reform, Mennonites, Moravians, Silesians? Of course, that takes no notice of the many subsects of each of these. To say that all Protestants believe anything in common is only slightly less naive than a contention that life arose from starlight "falling" on the earth for aeons.

The statement "I was using 'faith' as rhetorical" is too silly for further comment . . .

When I was referring to protestants It was in regard to the movement started by Martin Luther of which most all protestants belong...

This started by Martin was a movement toward the literal word and away from traditional and outside influences [pope] that are "sometimes" contrary to the literal Word yet used as church doctrine anyway by the Roman Catholic Church... Although the Roman Catholic Church has acknowledged Martin Luther as a great man his methods of obtaining truth are not widely practiced by Catholic theologians... The Roman Catholic congregation was one of the last churches to adopt carrying a Bible to church by it's parishioners. Who needs a Bible when it is all in Latin anyway?

Of all of the theories of how life started on the earth... I like my star light theory the best so far... I think it explains diversity... and how the sky is a mirror of the diversity on earth.. Of course our own moon and sun had something to do with life coming to the earth too... But I think of them as balancing factors and not so much the thing that made life... The moon and sun help sustain life and enable it... But the star light made life... Only a theory...

The starlight would have made a very primitive influence on the earth over a billion years... There are many intensities of light spectrums hitting the earth every day even now... This same light was here on the earth before we were or the moon... This could have made early DNA over billions of years... Just like the wind smooths a rock over time... The stars light like a "laser bridge" attracted and charged patterns of chemicals to arrange and interact subtly night after night over the face of the earth... The stars light was this primitive life's energy source or source of "nourishment" to the earth... light crossing an endless nothing of time and space and touching down upon our earth...

This is rather believable to me...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 04:06 pm
I think "light" is where Christianity and science converge...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 05:05 pm
Quote:
Setanta wrote: You have started a thread entitled "Evolution? How?" which begs a scientific question, yet you have placed it in Spirituality & Religion. The theory of evolution does not entail religious questions. I have a very great problem indeed with what you purport to be your knowledge of science, especially in view of your most recent crackpot statements--i suspect the same applies to Rosborne. Once again, when you put a thread like this in the Religion forum, you're asking for trouble, and deserve the responses you get. If you just wanted to chat with other religious fanatics about why science is unreliable and why the theory of evolution is "untrue," you ought to have gone to a religious web site where the choir preach to one another on a daily basis.

Comment:
I just thought I might say that this is not my thread... I have felt honored to be a member of this thread but I am not responsible for either it's title or it's placement in the topic of religion and spirituality... I applaude the person who made this thread because it aptly expressed the way I felt about the subject of evolution/God... evolution in a religious forum rather than creation in a scientific forum... Evolution, how? My answer? starlight... and starlight is a product of God creating the sub atomic particles. Science is only a small part of what the Bible reveals... the Bible mentions the word light alone 235 times... That is allot of times for a book about God...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:25 pm
RexRed wrote:
You and Rosborne's problem is not my knowledge of science but that you have to jump over into a religious post... not with the intention of teaching science but of bashing a few Christians.

Get a grip Rex, we don't care what you believe. We only care that you are coherent with the discussion, and you're not.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:35 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
RexRed wrote:
You and Rosborne's problem is not my knowledge of science but that you have to jump over into a religious post... not with the intention of teaching science but of bashing a few Christians.

Get a grip Rex, we don't care what you believe. We only care that you are coherent with the discussion, and you're not.

You accused me of "babbling" and I took offence... and still do...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:37 pm
RR wrote:
But I might add that you put science education with theology education and they pull on you and do not let your mind rest till it sees all of the unique common possibilities...

Setanta wrote
Quite apart from the logic that that which is unique cannot at the same time be common, this condenses your problem into a size commensurate with being transported in a nutshell.

Comment:

Nutshell?

This is my argument for parallelism... scientists are too pure and many theists are too literal...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 06:45 pm
Setanta wrote
Quite apart from the logic that that which is unique cannot at the same time be common,

Comment:

babble babble mumbo jumbo

Are you saying that matter cannot occupy the same place? Now look who is hurling superlatives...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
You apparently do not know the definition of superlative.

In saying that that which is unique cannot at the same time be common, i am referring the ordinary definitions of the words.

You display an increasing ignorance of what one might refer to as your native language. It's not simply you are terribly confused and ill-informed about religion and science--you can't even properly use the language in which this debate has been further.

Here is a glaring example:

Quote:
Are you saying that matter cannot occupy the same place?

No, i'm saying that the words unique and common are mutually exclusive terms: something is either unique, or it is common--it cannot be both. As for matter occupying the same place, the same place as what? You grow more incoherent as this progresses.

You comments about Luther and Protestants on the previous page displays a profound ignorance of what Luther was all about, and both the causes and the results of his defiance of authority. By now, of course, that doesn't surprise me.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 07:59 pm
Setanta wrote:
You apparently do not know the definition of superlative.

In saying that that which is unique cannot at the same time be common, i am referring the ordinary definitions of the words.

You display an increasing ignorance of what one might refer to as your native language. It's not simply you are terribly confused and ill-informed about religion and science--you can't even properly use the language in which this debate has been further.

Here is a glaring example:

Quote:
Are you saying that matter cannot occupy the same place?

No, i'm saying that the words unique and common are mutually exclusive terms: something is either unique, or it is common--it cannot be both. As for matter occupying the same place, the same place as what? You grow more incoherent as this progresses.

You comments about Luther and Protestants on the previous page displays a profound ignorance of what Luther was all about, and both the causes and the results of his defiance of authority. By now, of course, that doesn't surprise me.

Luther? You are just accusations and no examples... How about a thesis?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
Why bother, you spun a fantasy about Luther which shows that you don't know what simony is, nor how quickly the Reformation fragmented christianity. You especially display an ignorance of what lead to the fragmentation.

Your performance here shows that you fail to read and comprehend. So why both giving you a lesson on Luther, the reformation, the counter-reformation, Charles V, Calvin and Zwingli, the Anabaptists, Henry VIII, Bloody Mary, the Edict of Nantes, the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, the Thirty Years War . . . you'd only spin more linguistic and intellectual fantasies as you struggle, and fail, to use the language properly.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 08:34 pm
Setanta wrote:
Why bother, you spun a fantasy about Luther which shows that you don't know what simony is, nor how quickly the Reformation fragmented christianity. You especially display an ignorance of what lead to the fragmentation.

Your performance here shows that you fail to read and comprehend. So why both giving you a lesson on Luther, the reformation, the counter-reformation, Charles V, Calvin and Zwingli, the Anabaptists, Henry VIII, Bloody Mary, the Edict of Nantes, the St. Bartholomew's Day Massacre, the Thirty Years War . . . you'd only spin more linguistic and intellectual fantasies as you struggle, and fail, to use the language properly.

How about a comparison of "certain" religions "statement of faith"... It might confirm what I say...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 09:08 pm
How about you go spend twenty years reading history and comparative religion . . . but above all else, learn to use the English language properly. Then a conversation with you on the subject might not be a waste of my time.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 09:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
How about you go spend twenty years reading history and comparative religion . . . but above all else, learn to use the English language properly. Then a conversation with you on the subject might not be a waste of my time.

Considering you have no examples... but hot air? hehe you are a poor advocate for your left wing hehe "mumbo jumbo"... Embarrassed ..

I am just trying to present some plain ideas..
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 09:32 pm
You continue to assume that i am "left wing," although you have no evidence.

Your presentation of "plain ideas" as it has played out in this thread are a set of disjointed, linguistically butchered statements apparently arising in your fevered imagination--your description of Luther and what the basis of the Protestant Reformation was constitutes a prime example. Do you know what simony is? Do you know about the ninety-five theses? Do you know who Charles V was? Do you know who John Calvin and Ulrich Zwingli were? Do you know who the Hussites were?

Any attempt at conversation with you would be an exercise in futility. You'd have so much to learn before the discussion could begin that i'd grow old and be living on Social Security before that time arrived--if it ever arrived: you've demonstrated in this thread that you cannot or will not read and understand what others have to offer to you.
0 Replies