timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:16 am
What it indicates Rex, and unambiguously, is that theologic constructs erect a barrier to education, serving only to hinder honest inquiry and legitimate discovery.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:22 am
rosborne979 wrote:
farmerman wrote:
ros, Im sure spendi misses the elegant truth youve presented so elegantly.but spendi does say
Quote:
He's simply trying to lay his city views on them and I'm sticking up for them. If the situation was reversed I'd stick up for his side.

Why am I "clogging up the thread" and not you lot?.

It has to do with making sense. Being a contrarian (like you are) requires no thought since you go into an "autorefute mode" with almost every post. That, to me, defines clogging. Then, to icing it a bit, you offer nothing but a snide remark that you (alone I may add) find "witty".

Imagine a classroom with Spendi and Rex in it. If the teacher were required to address each of their comments, as RL suggests, science education for the entire class would come to a grinding halt.

A2K of course is a chat board, with a bunch of adults seemingly wrangling for the pure pleasure of it. Every now and then, scraps of real knowledge slip into the mess, but at least this is a voluntary forum. School science classes deserve better.

I have been in many of those classrooms, there is a time to listen and there is a time for discussion, I know the rules... Smile

If I have a question I write it down and bring it up later. That is a good rule. But I love to raise my hand. hehe

If I think the teacher is talking complete nonsense I will drop the class.

I dropped a "biblical thought" class once because the teacher said the OT did not prophecy of the coming of a messiah. I didn't say a word...

I figured well that's it, that was the last straw and I dropped his class.

I kind of of regret it now. I did learn a few things but he just irked my nerves.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:26 am
timberlandko wrote:
What it indicates Rex, and unambiguously, is that theologic constructs erect a barrier to education, serving only to hinder honest inquiry and legitimate discovery.

No it indicates improper theological constructs become a barrier just as dumbed down science is a barrier to spiritual truth.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:31 am
Dumbed down science is an oxymoron.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:45 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Dumbed down science is an oxymoron.

Good call but not completely accurate.

It should not be an oxymoron but science is more a religion today than a pure science. They play God with peoples bodies yet are oblivious to life (soul) and the spirit.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:47 am
spendius wrote:

Setanta wrote-

Quote:
This is sad for the students themselves.

I don't accept your attempts to weasel out of that. It is a complete sentence. It is untrue.

There is no "weaseling" going on here, apart from your pathetic attempt to warp what i wrote. I did not write that the students were sad, but that a situation in which their science education is hindered is sad. And that is true, despite your unwillingness to acknowledge it, or, what is more likely, your inability to comprehend the thought. What is truly ludicrous is to see you write about "proofs"--you, who blather on about the superficiality of relationships in urban society (a contention for which you offer no "proof") when the topic is employment in science-related fields. That you idiotic maunderings about urban relationships bears no relation to employment criteria in science-related fields requires no proof--it is self-evident.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 08:49 am
RexRed wrote:
It should not be an oxymoron but science is more a religion today than a pure science.

No it's not.

RexRed wrote:
They play God with peoples bodies yet are oblivious to life (soul) and the spirit.

Oh brother, that's exactly why it's not a religion. Sheesh.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:26 am
ros, We call what Rex said "speacking with forked toungue." He just doesn't realize why being oblivious to soul and spirit is science.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:43 am
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
reference to the idiot from Hibbing, Minnesota who makes so many millions selling meaningless drivel of the kind you love to lap up to those so credulous that they rely upon such sources for wisdom.

The only reasons I can suggest for such a stupid and ignorant remark being allowed to pass uncommented on by A2Kers are-

1- Nobody reads Setanta's posts seriously,which is understandable or

2- That Setanta,by his mode of discourse, has cowed A2Kers into silence.

Well-He doesn't cow me.

What does Dylan making millions have to do with his artistic integrity?

Dylan sang in Greenwich Village for a long while when there was no money in the game. He was signed up by Columbia Records on the say so of John Hammond. His records sold because people like them. He has played thousands of concerts in dozens of countries. He has produced close to 60 albums and a handful of movies. He was awarded the French equivalent of our Order of Merit and something similar by the Swedish culture ministry. Philip Larkin said that Mr Tambourine Man is the best song ever written. Norman Mailer said that Dylan was the best user of the English language. Segovia said he had been "touched by the hand of God".He topped the bill at Live Aid. He has a Grammy and is in the Hall of Fame.Blowin' In The Wind and Times They Are A Changin' are world wide anthems and Sir Edmund Hilary said that Blowin' was his No 1 for Desert Island Discs. Andrew Motion,the Poet Laureate of Great Britain is a big fan.

To properly read the Wikipedia biography would take months. There are hundreds of books and magazines based on Dylan's works.

And all that,and much more, is lined up by Setanta as "meaningless drivel" and "idiotic" and "credulousness".

I am proud to be called a "contrarian" by such a person as Setanta. I would hate it if the guy said anything good about me and if A2Kers can't see that the above quote discredits, indeed trashes, everything Setanta writes, and no doubt says in his daily life, so much the worse for them

I wouldn't ask the guy the time and as for designing a national education policy on the thoughts of Chairman Setanta-you can feewking forget it.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:46 am
And the quote-

Quote:
reference to the idiot from Hibbing, Minnesota who makes so many millions selling meaningless drivel of the kind you love to lap up to those so credulous that they rely upon such sources for wisdom.

Is terrible English.It's incoherent big time.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:50 am
spendius wrote:
Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah
blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

You never disappoint, Boss . . .
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:57 am
Setanta wrote-

Quote:
. Even the religionists arguing here are better informed on the topic than is Spendi.

What an admission. Religionists have me to thank for Setanta allowing that they might be slightly informed. He had been saying they were idiots.
Now he is so desperate to **** on me that he gives them a slight nod of approval.

What an intellectual he is.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 09:58 am
Ahhhh, spendi - would that such education as you may have received had imparted to you the skills and abilities requisite to reasoned discourse. Learning better is employed as a tool of discovery and understanding than as a gaudy bauble to flaunt with intent to dazzle the undiscriminating.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:00 am
Actually, i've not said they are idiots, just that their propositions are idiotic. To that extent, they have something in common with you. As usualy, you need to misrepresent what others say in order to attempt a criticism.

I've never claimed to be an intellectual, i leave that manure-shovelling exercise to the likes of you . . .
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:02 am
Hey, Spendi - how's it hangin', bud?

Been in any stimulatin conversations lately? How're your spirits - pretty good?

Well, just thought I'd drop by to say howdy - just in case you felt ganged up on or anything.....
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:11 am
spendi is immune to "gang ups" on his most stimulating, intellectual, posts. His words are Shakesperian, and his wit Gomer-like. He is without equal in that regards.
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:33 am
Another bag of pop corn please Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:49 am
Hi snoodie old chap.

No, I don't feel ganged up on. I'm not having Bob slagged off as cheep-cheep as that. He's great. Really great. One of the all times tops.

What amazed me was that a Limey has to come in defending him.

Not that he needs defending of course. It was just an opportunity for you Americans to see who they are sharing a platform with.

Willie Nelson took Bob's fantastically brave speech at Live Aid as the inspiration for Farm Aid at which Bob,again, topped the bill. I get the impression that Bob has more fans outside America than within it.

I forgot to mention his Oscar before.

Fancy a contrarian like Setanta calling me one and thinking he's going to get away with it. He's using Science to beat people up on. He hasn't a clue what Science is.

I could give him some science that would have him galloping down the road as if his pants were full of mad wasps.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:53 am
spendius wrote:
I could give him some science that would have him galloping down the road as if his pants were full of mad wasps.

Give it a shot - this I'd love to see.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Jun, 2006 10:54 am
timber, I hope you're not expecting anything of substance.
0 Replies