cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:33 pm
Gee, the bible interprets itself now? All them bible scholars been wasting all that time trying to decipher it for almost two thousand years! I know that the catholic church has been revising the meaning of the bible for centuries. LOL
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:35 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
RexRed wrote:
I am not interpreting the Bible I am letting the Bible interpret itself.

Great stuff Rex.

And what do you expect to get out of a coconut...orange juice?

It's great stuff, indeed.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:57 pm
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Just for laughs, Rex...

...let's you and I do an "interpretation" of a particular biblical passage...and let the others decide which of us sounds more like a "misinterpreter."

Here's the passage:

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
lives." Leviticus 20:13

Now I say that this passage tells us that the god of the Bible considers homosexual conduct to be such an abominable deed...that anyone who engages in it has voluntarily forfeited his life...and that "the faithful" should put him to death.

Now...you tell us how you interpret that passage.

I interpret that passage as addressed TO SPECIFICALLY a Hebrew tribe in the desert by a fallible prophet of God, Moses. (God knew Moses was fallible) I do not consider that passage ADDRESSED to me. Different parts of the Bible are addressed to different people. As for the meaning of it, considering that since adultery was judged by the same punishment of death it was less the homosexuality and more the dangers of extramarital sex in a small tribe that brought about that rule.

There is a simple reason... even TODAY, an entire countries tribal people of "Africa" are dying, from "extramarital sex".

God had foreknowledge and if extramarital sex had been able to run rampant then it may have interrupted the Christ seed? Jesus may never have been born. Only God knows NOT YOU Frank. Regardless this is not TO US and the Hebrew people took the burden willingly upon themselves.

And you claim the problem is that those of us on this side of the argument are misinterpreting the Bible??????

You can pick out a specific passage and determine that your god "addressed" it to someone...some specific someone else, but not you??????

Rex...your thinking and distortion is so bizarre, contrived, tortured...that even you should be able to see through it.

Now all you have to do is to figure out why you would go to such lengths to rationalize such an obvious fairytale.

(Lemme give you some help with that: Go back and read the posts talking about how afraid and superstitious you poor folks are!)
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 04:42 am
I find it bizarre that so many Christians will go to so much extent to prove something which is quite obviously wrong, there is a God who ages the galaxy to make it look old, while at the same time can't be bothered stopping modern day mass murders and exterminations, the excuse being that we are free willed, yet in the old testament had quite a "hands on" attitude, and without any kind of remorse would willfully kill and murder just to help out a minority of a population (Kinda cheating don't you think).

Then you say t-rex's and other dinosaurs existed at the same time as the old testament, so where did noah put them in the arc ? and how did he feed them, surely these massive creatures would have been hard to keep up on just fish, or did Noah not bother to bring them?

Maybe your God is the one who is evil, he allows so much suffering yet only helps privileged americans, while neglecting his aids/hunger ridden followers in africa or is the stigma of slavery still in the mind of many americans, which deems these fellow human beings worthless? or has things become so bad that God only accepts the whiteman or african americans now?

Many believe the chosen people of Israel left and went to europe and then on the states, so is the reason that the rest of the world must suffer while the west over indulges in materialism and greed?

I do believe that many christians spend their lives in hope of saving souls, giving them the equivalent of a celestial wank when the succeed, but do you never think that it could be possible that you are damning them. Your book is not infallible nor perfect, it was not written by God but by man, and if the age of an item is to be taken into account for authenticity then ignoring every other ancient writing on the planet is just pure negligence.

I doubt I will get an answer to any of the above, I am well versed in the bible so if you want me to quote mass murders/sacrifices/anti-disability sections of the old testament then i will, I just see it pointless as the christian mind eraser will just jump into action, and the blissful ignorance to what is actually written and your praise of a God who seems to lack any sort of self-esteem and confidence will continue.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 06:13 am
Quote:
I find it bizarre that so many Christians will go to so much extent to prove something which is quite obviously wrong, there is a God who ages the galaxy to make it look old,

The question is why would God do this? Is he trying to fool us? Is he paranoid and wants to test our faith, to see if we believe in the proper way? Is this one of his methods to see who can be sent to the fires of hell and who will live in his city of gold, silver and pearls?

On one hand he is giving us a picture of a universe billions of years old. On the other he is saying it's not. Not only is he saying it's not but the whole story of creation is wrong. Are we to believe a phony story or what he shows us?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 07:57 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Just for laughs, Rex...

...let's you and I do an "interpretation" of a particular biblical passage...and let the others decide which of us sounds more like a "misinterpreter."

Here's the passage:

"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them shall be
put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their
lives." Leviticus 20:13

Now I say that this passage tells us that the god of the Bible considers homosexual conduct to be such an abominable deed...that anyone who engages in it has voluntarily forfeited his life...and that "the faithful" should put him to death.

Now...you tell us how you interpret that passage.

I interpret that passage as addressed TO SPECIFICALLY a Hebrew tribe in the desert by a fallible prophet of God, Moses. (God knew Moses was fallible) I do not consider that passage ADDRESSED to me. Different parts of the Bible are addressed to different people. As for the meaning of it, considering that since adultery was judged by the same punishment of death it was less the homosexuality and more the dangers of extramarital sex in a small tribe that brought about that rule.

There is a simple reason... even TODAY, an entire countries tribal people of "Africa" are dying, from "extramarital sex".

God had foreknowledge and if extramarital sex had been able to run rampant then it may have interrupted the Christ seed? Jesus may never have been born. Only God knows NOT YOU Frank. Regardless this is not TO US and the Hebrew people took the burden willingly upon themselves.

And you claim the problem is that those of us on this side of the argument are misinterpreting the Bible??????

You can pick out a specific passage and determine that your god "addressed" it to someone...some specific someone else, but not you??????

Rex...your thinking and distortion is so bizarre, contrived, tortured...that even you should be able to see through it.

Now all you have to do is to figure out why you would go to such lengths to rationalize such an obvious fairytale.

(Lemme give you some help with that: Go back and read the posts talking about how afraid and superstitious you poor folks are!)

Frank

You seem to forget the Bible is full of Epistles (letters)... Do you address your letters or are all of them open ended?

Do you know the difference between the words TO and FOR?

Some things can be TO you and some can be FOR your learning but not TO you...

Again one scripture unlocks the mystery of "To Whom The Word Is Addressed..."

Ro 15:4
For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope.

Comment:
FOR our learning not TO us...

Now that is why I believe the way I do...

It is the people who pay attention to Biblical details that are freed from it's pitfalls.

Addresses Frank...

Romans 1:7
To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1Co 1:2
Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Ephesians 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

Comment:
Frank you need to distinguish the difference between the prepositions FOR and TO...

Something can be FOR you to learn from but not TO you...

This is why there is so much contradiction... the books are written TO different people of God's time line.

This is a very basic Biblical principle...

One must understand TO WHOM the word is addressed before they apply it to their lives?

I am using the Bible to interpret itself instead of just reading it and applying selectively what I want to apply... The Bible itself directs me to what is FOR me and what is TO me...

Again if people did not read the words of the Bible haphazardly they would not have a haphazard faith... (and the understanding would be "added" unto them)

God may have made it hard on purpose to weed out those whose heart were not in the right place...

It is not the self made ego and the rich in worship of monetary wealth that are susceptible to giving God credit and treating his word without hypocrisy...
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:11 am
BDV wrote:

Then you say t-rex's and other dinosaurs existed at the same time as the old testament, so where did noah put them in the arc ? and how did he feed them, surely these massive creatures would have been hard to keep up on just fish, or did Noah not bother to bring them?

hi BDV,

This is an old and rather silly objection, don't you think so?

Have you ever considered (possibly not) that Noah did not have to bring full grown specimens, but could have (and probably would have preferred to) brought along young, small representatives of most of the species?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:16 am
xingu wrote:
Quote:
I find it bizarre that so many Christians will go to so much extent to prove something which is quite obviously wrong, there is a God who ages the galaxy to make it look old,

The question is why would God do this? Is he trying to fool us? Is he paranoid and wants to test our faith, to see if we believe in the proper way? Is this one of his methods to see who can be sent to the fires of hell and who will live in his city of gold, silver and pearls?

On one hand he is giving us a picture of a universe billions of years old. On the other he is saying it's not. Not only is he saying it's not but the whole story of creation is wrong. Are we to believe a phony story or what he shows us?

If God created the world and Adam in a few days, and then plainly told Adam "I created this in six days" , how is that deceptive ?

Unless he simply chose not to believe what God said, how could he be misled in any way?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 08:52 am
real life wrote:
...If God created the world and Adam in a few days, and then plainly told Adam "I created this in six days" , how is that deceptive ? Unless he simply chose not to believe what God said, how could he be misled in any way?
Perhaps Adam was somewhat overawed by God. Perhaps he thought, you know this guy is quite impressive really, having created all this, and me and the missus. I dont think I'm going to second guess what he says. So yeah I'll go along with it, 6 days if he says so. Moreover Adam, cogniscent of all the moral imperatives just delivered to him, would never suspect God of blatantly lying about how things came about. Perhaps there was a fundamental breech of trust here. Not by Adam who let himself be deceived, but by God who deliberately told him a load of porky pies.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:11 am
Real wrote:
If God created the world and Adam in a few days, and then plainly told Adam "I created this in six days" , how is that deceptive ?

It's deceptive if all evidence points to a world that was not created in 6 days or in the order the Bible states.

Do you believe that plants were created and established on earth before the sun, moon and stars were created?

Quote:
1:11
And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

1:12
And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.

1:13
And the evening and the morning were the third day.

1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

1:15
And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

1:16
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

1:17
And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

1:18
And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.

1:19
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Not only that there was there plant life but liquid water. Where did the heat come from? Why wasn't everything frozen? Maybe you believe we don't get our heat from the sun, could that be?

Where did the light come from if sun, moon and stars were absent?

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:17 am
Funny how god created those things in day one, two, and three without the sun. Without the sun, everyting on this planet woud have frozen.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:24 am
xingu wrote:
Real wrote:

It's deceptive if all evidence points to a world that was not created in 6 days or in the order the Bible states.

Do you believe that plants were created and established on earth before the sun, moon and stars were created?

Quote:
1:11
And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, [and] the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed [is] in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.

1:12
And the earth brought forth grass, [and] herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed [was] in itself, after his kind: and God saw that [it was] good.

1:13
And the evening and the morning were the third day.

1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

1:15
And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

1:16
And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: [he made] the stars also.

1:17
And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

1:18
And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.

1:19
And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

Not only that there was there plant life but liquid water. Where did the heat come from? Why wasn't everything frozen? Maybe you believe we don't get our heat from the sun, could that be?

Where did the light come from if sun, moon and stars were absent?

IT'S A MIRACLE!!!! Rolling Eyes

Where does it say God "CREATED" the sun on any day other than Gen 1:1?

Ge 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

Comment:
God spoke the sun "back" into a functional earthly ability he did not "create" the sun on the fourth day... Causing the sun to shine could have been as easy as clearing away clouds from an asteroid impact after an "ice age"... (See the Bible even agrees with science when one does not interpret the holy words haphazardly.)

The first "let there be light" is not light as in physical light but it means let there be "logos" or words and communication.

The logos lights up the intellectual darkness first then the restored sunlight lights up the physical world "again".

All of this again stems from a confusion of the terms "formed, made and created".

How really can God's word be understood without first a clear distinction between these terms?

The earth "became" without form (evolution) and void (spiritually) and dark (ice age) it was not created that way...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:33 am
Oh, fer chrissake - can the biblethumpers get any sillier? Rhetorical question, of course; of course they can - and will.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:39 am
timberlandko wrote:
Oh, fer chrissake - can the biblethumpers get any sillier? Rhetorical question, of course; of course they can - and will.

I think, that was interesting. Espeially, I like the idea of "God the cloud pusher".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 09:40 am
real life wrote:
BDV wrote:

hi BDV,

This is an old and rather silly objection, don't you think so?

Have you ever considered (possibly not) that Noah did not have to bring full grown specimens, but could have (and probably would have preferred to) brought along young, small representatives of most of the species?

Even a small brontosaur would be a hulking monster at the end of a year. You need to pull another divine miracle out of your rectum to cover that one . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:03 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

I think, that was interesting. Espeially, I like the idea of "God the cloud pusher".

God did not have to "push the clouds" (God does not posess) he just had to plan it before the foundations of the universe. They cleared when he needed them clear. God sees everything ahead...

How you underestimate God yet God's estimation is perfectly precise.

Consider the PERFECT position of the moon, sun and stars from the earth and then boast at what God can and can't do...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:12 am
The sun, moon and stars are not in "perfect" relationship to the earth. Conditions on the earth are a result of the proximity of other celestial bodies. Were things radically different, you wouldn't be here to peddle your horsie poop. Serendipity only exists in the eye of the beholder.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:19 am
Setanta wrote:
The sun, moon and stars are not in "perfect" relationship to the earth. Conditions on the earth are a result of the proximity of other celestial bodies. Were things radically different, you wouldn't be here to peddle your horsie poop. Serendipity only exists in the eye of the beholder.

So are you suggesting to God that the earth be a bit farther from the sun or closer? Too darn much gravity?

Is the moon the right parameters to your liking Set?

What does your omniscient, omnipresent and omnipotent foreknowledge tell us today of the physics of the universe?

Maybe the earth is just not big enough for your head? Smile
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:21 am
Uhhhh .... Rex, if at the supposed time of your purported creation, the moon were positioned "perfectly" in relationship to the Earth, why might it be that the moon in its orbit gradually is spiraling outward, away from the Earth?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 21 Jun, 2006 10:21 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Funny how god created those things in day one, two, and three without the sun. Without the sun, everyting on this planet woud have frozen.

Bingo, it was called the ice age...

Arrggghhh.

When is this stuff going to click?
0 Replies