Lightwizard

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 07:08 pm
timberlandko wrote:
farmerman wrote:
timber's zoonomia includes
Quote:
the labradoodle;

SAY WHAT? Was I absent for that lecture?

The Labradoodle ... honest to god, its real - more's the pity.

Oh, come on, timber -- we knew all along you were labrapoodle. Arf, arf.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 19 Jun, 2006 07:57 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
It does, however, raise the question of why "real life's" imaginary friend was at such pains to dupe so much of the population. It does not speak well for the character of him/her/it.

Your assumption of an 'intent to deceive' is not well founded, when in fact the Creator went to great lengths to make it clear when the heavens and earth had actually been created.

---------------------------------------

The alternative of creating without an appearance of age may be seen as impractical.

Instead of creating trees and plants, would the Creator simply scatter seed on the ground?

Instead of creating a 'full grown' man and woman, would He deposit an infant, or a fertilized egg on the newly created surface of the planet?

On the "appearance of age" argumement, from a Christian website:
http://www.geocities.com/darrickdean/age.html
What is the evidence from creation?

· If we see a star explode in a distant galaxy, is the event real? If real, how did we come to see it if the star is millions of light years away? Or did God create the appearance of an explosion? If God created the light enroute then the star never existed in a pre-explosion state then the event is fictitious. The heavens, which declare the glory of the God of Truth, become a fiction.
· If light from a distant galaxy shows attenuation by dust, did the light actually pass through the dust? Or did God create it to look like it went through a dust cloud? Why would God do such a thing?
· When creation shows us an ion jet stream a million light years long, did it form over time or would you say God created it in place? How long did it take for the light to get to us? How about galaxies that appear to have been colliding for eons? Did God create them in mid-collision?
· How long did it take for mile thick lava on earth to cool? The thermodynamics says over a 100,000 years. Lava this thick exists on both the earth and the moon. Some have attempted to explain all such earth geology in terms of Noah's flood. But, the thermodynamics don't work on earth and no one claims the flood affected the moon. Did God create a "mature" earth and "mature" moon? Does a mature earth/moon somehow require lava flows more than a mile thick? Placing such features in a young earth would be such a gratuitous distortion of fact that it qualifies as perjury.
· How and when did the craters on the moon get there? Use binoculars or a good poster to count the craters on the moon and ask, "When in the Genesis 1 account did the craters form on the moon?" Over what period of time did they form? If the moon had so many impacts, how many did the earth have? Did God create the moon instantaneously in its present state so that it appears to have had thousands of meteor impacts? If so, he falsified not only the craters themselves but also radioactive elements which show that more impacts occurred long, long ago and only a few have occurred recently.
· How about craters on the earth? It is not speculation that a massive impact occurred - an impact so massive that it would have filled the atmosphere with dust and changed the climate, killing most life. I expect some to question the date - 65 million years ago. But, can we all accept that the crater exists? When did the impact occur? Before Adam was created or after? What are the implications of each answer? Would you claim that God needed such a crater for his miracle to be mature?
· What about coral reefs with annual growth markers going back continuously for over one million years? What is the point of such historical evidence if it is false?
· Other evidences abound. How much evidence would make a difference? Does evidence count at all?

Just thought I'd throw it in.
P
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 08:09 am
Quote:
Science From The Bible
© Copyright 1997, Jim Loy

Some people (the creationists in particular) get their science from the Bible. Let's see what kind of science is in the Bible.

In Genesis 1, we have the creation of the entire universe in six days about 6000 years ago. 6000 years is an incredibly short length of time for civilization to have been around, let alone the entire universe. The creationists fudge by saying 10,000 years, but the genealogy given in the Bible implies 6000 years, without gaps. Creation in only six days also conflicts with overwhelming scientific evidence. For example, we see distant galaxies as they were billions of years ago, it takes light that long to get to us. The creationists resort to light traveling much faster in the past, or to the creation of this light already on its way to earth.

We notice a couple problems with the events of creation. For example, on day one, we have the creation of light and dark, day and night. The sun and moon are not created until day four. Many Christians assume that the days of creation are actual geologic ages. Even then, the creation of grasses, and whales, and birds (which are all fairly recent in the history of life) are out of order.

In Genesis 3, we are told of Adam's sin. And we have the beginning of sickness, pain, death, misery, thorns, etc. There supposedly was no death before this, so all of the dinosaurs and trilobites were alive in Adam's time.

In Genesis 6 and 7, we have the world-wide flood of Noah. There is plenty of evidence for many regional floods, but not for a world-wide flood. We read of water covering all but the highest mountains. Where did all this water go? Noah's boat was too small to hold all of the species in the world. This Ark apparently did not carry fish, and most saltwater fish cannot survive long in fresh water, and most freshwater fish cannot survive long in salt water. After the flood, the various species dispersed to their current homes, with kangaroos hopping all the way to Australia, without any evidence of their trek.

In Joshua 6, we have Joshua commanding the sun to stand still, so the children of Israel can defeat the Amorites. To be accurate, he should have commanded the earth to stop spinning. To stop the earth's spin, and then start it up again, is a miracle of creation or flood caliber. It should have produced devastating effects, enough to wipe out life on earth.

On a smaller scale, we have bats and locusts (which walk on "all four legs") listed as birds in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14. This sloppy classification may be all right for some purposes. But from a scientific point of view, it is silly.

In Job, Psalms, Proverbs, and Isaiah, we find that God laid the foundations of the earth, and that it does not move (Psalms 104:5). This is one of the reasons that Galileo was convicted of heresy for saying that the earth moves around the sun.

In I Kings and II Chronicles, we find a circular vessel which has a circumference that is three times its diameter, implying that the author thinks that pi is 3. Pi is about 3.14159..., fairly close to 3. But for any practical purpose, 3 is a perfectly worthless value for pi.

The Bible is, of course, a wonderful source of religion and philosophy. But the authors were not knowledgeable scientists with 20th century information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Addendum #1:

I received the following email (entitled, "Thank You, Mr. Wizard"):

"The Bible is, of course, a wonderful source of religion and philosophy. But the authors were not knowledgeable scientists with 20th century information." You are correct, sir...they weren't knowledgeable scientists. The writer's of the Bible were merely inspired by the Holy Ghost. Maybe you would like to read a little Job before your next attack of the Bible...were you there when the heavens and Earth were created?

My Response:

I didn't know that I was attacking the Bible. I was clearly attacking creationism. The creationists seem to say that you cannot believe in God and the Bible, unless you believe that the universe was created in six 24-hour days, 8000 years ago, as is described in Genesis. I think creationism is driving many thinking people from God.

Can we get our science from the Bible? The book of Joshua says that the sun stood still. That is wrong. The sun did not stand still. The implication is that earth stopped spinning. But the Bible does not say that. Am I being picky? I am not the person who tries to get science from the Bible. The Bible's description of this event is wrong.

Creationists repeatedly ask their critics, "Were you there?" (a quote from Job, it would seem). Creationists seem to think that we cannot deduce facts about the past, because we weren't there. If we see a piece of lava, can't we deduce a volcano? Geology, biology, and astronomy tell us much about the past.

I once wrote that millions of years ago, South America and Africa were touching (another email writer asked me if I was there, in connection with this statement). Of course we cannot match these continents rock for rock. And none of us was there. But there is certainly a lot of evidence of millions of years of sea floor spreading between these two continents (and between Europe and North America). And some species of dinosaurs lived on both South America and Africa. Why do we have to be there to deduce all of this?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The creationists claim that they believe the Bible, word for word, as it was written, and yet they don't. If the Bible says that a locust or a bat is a bird, then they will say something like this: "God is saying that in nontechnical language that the readers back then could understand." Fine, but that is an admission that some interpretation is necessary. Sometimes the Bible does not say what it means precisely, and we have to guess or explain what it does mean. When God says that Adam will die on the day he eats the forbidden fruit, we need to figure out what He meant by that, because Adam is recorded to have lived many hundreds of years after that. The meaning may or may not be obvious, but the Bible does not mean exactly what it says in this case.

Addendum #2:

I have occasionally heard the following argument from creationists. This one is a quote from Life--How Did It Get Here? from the Watchtower people:

The science of mathematical probability offers striking proof that the Genesis creation account must have come from a source with knowledge of the events. The account lists 10 major stages in this order: (1) a beginning; (2) a primitive earth in darkness and enshrouded in heavy gases and water; (3) light; (4) an expanse or atmosphere; (5) large areas of dry land; (6) land plants; (7) sun, moon, and stars discernible in the expanse, and seasons beginning; (8) sea monsters and flying creatures; (9) wild and tame beasts, mammals; (10) man. Science agrees that these stages occurred in this general order. What are the chances that the writer of Genesis just guessed this order? The same as if you picked at random the numbers 1 to 10 from a box, and drew them in consecutive order. The chances of doing this on your first try are 1 in 3,628,800! So, to say the writer just happened to list the foregoing events in the right order without getting the facts from somewhere is not realistic.

First of all, the above list is a significant rewording of the Genesis account of the creation. See Genesis chapter 1 for a comparison. In particular, the above list says, "sun, moon, and stars discernible in the expanse." Genesis says that God made these lights on the fourth day. Secondly, the Genesis account is clearly not in the order that science would predict, as day and night are created on day one, while the sun is created on day four (after plants were created). And thirdly, the above list is in a fairly logical order; a wild guess by any writer would have to be roughly in the above order. For example, one of the steps is "a beginning." Where would you put that step? I would make it step #1, wouldn't you? And I would probably make my list go from simple to complex, probably ending with man.

Since the writer of the Genesis account of the creation got some of the steps wrong, it is hard to say what the probability is that he got some of the steps right; certainly nowhere near one in 3,628,800, probably very close to one in one. The writer of the above list was certainly naive (or lying) to call it a "striking proof."

SOURCE

Just thought I'd throw this in as well.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:02 am
BDV wrote:
Quote:
Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

King James Version of 1769 with Strongs Numbers and Morphology

I think this line is pretty black and white, except nobody seems to have a clear answer on what is heaven? and what is earth? surely it has to be physical, otherwise there would be no water, as noted in the next line.

Quote:
Genesis 1:2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

King James Version of 1769 with Strongs Numbers and Morphology

I am surprised yous missed this, it is the 2nd line in genesis, that is before the 7 days, so why quote Genesis 1:7 (Where it quite clearly states nothing to do with creating water, otherwise "God" would say "Let there be water") ? I'll ask the question again, where did this water come from ? Once I get a clear answer on this i will move to the next parts,

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth...

Isn't water part of the heavens and the earth?

What's the rub?

Eden's seven days is a "revamping" of the earth and heaven millions of years after the initial creation in Genesis 1:1.

This why God does not create light in Eden because he already created it in Gen. 1:1.

He just spoke it back into being...

After Gen 1:1 the earth "became" without form and void... God did not create it that way...

This is why God took 7 days after the initial creation of Gen 1:1 (millions of years later) to revamp the world and make it liveable.

Over millions of years the earth "became" without form and void and dark. And God said let there be light.

Water had already been created, life had already been created (before Eden).

It was the spirit in humans that had not been created...

Spirit is the only substance that needs to be "created" every time it appears.

So God created man in his own image...

People seem to read right over Gen. 1:1 as if it is not even there.

They relate Gen 1:1 to Eden and not millions of years before.

Before the "first day", time was not measured in days... consider that.

The human calendar is only about 6000 years old.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:30 am
Xingu

The only problem with the Genesis story is the sloppy way the western mind interprets it...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:39 am
RexRed wrote:
Xingu

The only problem with the Genesis story is the sloppy way the western mind interprets it...

Yup...if only everyone were as terrified of the barbaric boogeyman of the Bible as you are...we would have no bone of contention here.

If only everyone were so frightened...they would dream up scenarios that work.

If only!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:41 am
Y'know, I'm starting to wonder if mebbe Rex does his whole act without a net ... couple headbounces would go a long way toward explaing things.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:48 am
min·er·al

n.

A naturally occurring, homogeneous inorganic solid substance having a definite chemical composition and characteristic crystalline structure, color, and hardness.
Any of various natural substances, as:
An element, such as gold or silver.
An organic derivative, such as coal or petroleum.
A substance, such as stone, sand, salt, or coal, that is extracted or obtained from the ground or water and used in economic activities.
A substance that is neither animal nor vegetable; inorganic matter.
An inorganic element, such as calcium, iron, potassium, sodium, or zinc, that is essential to the nutrition of humans, animals, and plants.
An ore.
minerals Chiefly British. Mineral water.

Comment:
Wow that is rather specific. (sarcasm)

Just about anything could be considered a mineral if you bury it or eat it and live.

Xingu
Are you saying that locusts don't have bird and insect DNA?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:51 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Xingu

Yup...if only everyone were as terrified of the barbaric boogeyman of the Bible as you are...we would have no bone of contention here.

If only!

No Frank, they are frightened of their own twist that they have imposed upon the most holy of faith. I am not frightened because I have not treated the word haphazardly. You have imposed you own twist upon the meaning of the Bible and thus you are the anomaly of your own making.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 10:52 am
timberlandko wrote:
Y'know, I'm starting to wonder if mebbe Rex does his whole act without a net ... couple headbounces would go a long way toward explaing things.

Yep, I have no friends when it comes to God's word.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:12 am
Rex says "god's word" like he knows what he's talking about; an imaginary terrorist that would send him to hell for eternity if he doesn't believe.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Rex says "god's word" like he knows what he's talking about; an imaginary terrorist that would send him to hell for eternity if he doesn't believe.

You say the word "terrorist" with such personal experience. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:29 am
2Ti 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed [terrorized, afraid], rightly dividing the word of truth.

Comment:
The Greek word for "rightly dividing" is "Orthotomeo"..

The concordance defined it as this...
1.) to cut straight, to cut straight ways
to proceed on straight paths, hold a straight course, equiv. to doing right
2.) to make straight and smooth, to handle aright, to teach the truth directly and correctly

Comment:
But I know that this word Orthotomeo is from Euclidian geometry...

It means to divide to the extent that there is no remainder.

Or, to study the Bible until there is no contradiction, until it fits with itself.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:45 am
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Xingu

If only!

No Frank, they are frightened of their own twist that they have imposed upon the most holy of faith. I am not frightened because I have not treated the word haphazardly. You have imposed you own twist upon the meaning of the Bible and thus you are the anomaly of your own making.

You are terrified of this barbaric god, Rex...so terrified that you cannot see that you are terrified. But listening to you twist and torture logic and the English language in order to ass-kiss the god makes this so obvious to anyone on the outside of your fear...that you might as well take out ads in newspapers proclaiming it.

I love, Rex. I'd love to help you get this anvil off your neck.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:53 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Xingu

If only!

You are terrified of this barbaric god, Rex...so terrified that you cannot see that you are terrified. But listening to you twist and torture logic and the English language in order to ass-kiss the god makes this so obvious to anyone on the outside of your fear...that you might as well take out ads in newspapers proclaiming it.

I love, Rex. I'd love to help you get this anvil off your neck.

The fact that you associate fear with religion is not uncommon. But the truth is not a fearful thing... God has his tender "spiritual" side which you are oblivious to.

The truth liberates. You need to learn the difference between religion and truth... then you will not be trying to extract truth from people when it is religious error that is the culprit.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 11:58 am
GOD IS LOVE... Now that is "truth" not religion.

Let's start there first.

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Comment:
Frank, you have not sought "first" the kingdom of God's "righteousness", you have sought instead the kingdom of God's perceptible unrighteousness.

And so these "things" (understandings) have been "subtracted" from you...
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:13 pm
RexRed wrote:

That's not truth or religion, it's just self serving warm fuzzy pap. Yuck.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 01:33 pm
I bet we could all leave this thread for good, and Rex would continue to post for weeks before he noticed . . .
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:11 pm
RexRed wrote:

Let's start there first.

Matthew 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Comment:
Frank, you have not sought "first" the kingdom of God's "righteousness", you have sought instead the kingdom of God's perceptible unrighteousness.

And so these "things" (understandings) have been "subtracted" from you...

In other words, Rex...you are suggesting that because I am not willing to delude myself...something is being taken away from me?????
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Tue 20 Jun, 2006 02:17 pm
RexRed wrote:

He must have off days from his love

Quote:
And he said unto them, Thus saith the LORD God of Israel, Put every man his sword by his side, and go in and out from gate to gate throughout the camp, and slay every man his brother, and every man his companion, and every man his neighbour. Exodus 32:27
0 Replies