Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 08:55 pm
"God kept it light?" Was he getting bit heavy and now he's on light? Is that light beer? Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:01 pm
OK - for the sake of argument, lets say there was an unprecedented, never-since-repeated solar flare which extraordinarilly increased the sun's luminence output over a period of some several hours - even though no such event is known to have happened, and lies outside probability given what we know of stellar mechanics in general and our sun in particular. No matter how bright the sun got - short of going nova and incinerating the inner planets, Earth among them, which we may safely assume has not happened - for approximately a half day, give or take depending on season and lattitude pertaining to Joshua's purported exploit, roughly half the planet would be facing more or less away from the sun - the light source - and thus would receive no solar illumination. Even Mercury - which receives millions of times the solar radiation across all spectra compared to that received by Earth - spinning on its axis undergoes the darkness of night over that portion of its surface turned away from the sun.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 09:07 pm
Timber, don't bother anyone with scientific fact or the undeniable laws of physics -- they will say that is all false because of what they believe. There's an insane asylum in their neighborhood but they will never recognize that they belong there.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:24 pm
http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/upper_peninsula_photos_aurora_northern_lights_11_7_04/35.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 13 Jun, 2006 11:52 pm
http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-01/gsu-as011805.php
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 12:41 am
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/5075516.stm

And God created the holy spirit from a black hole...
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 03:50 am
RexRed wrote:

Read the article again. I think you won't find any mention of God, Holy Spirit or anything coming out of anything.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 05:56 am
Quote:

Rex, yor previous post worries me. How does the proposed Hawkings' book have anything to do with your conclusion? Your getting a bit like the Cheshire Cat and the MArch Hare, where not only words , but entire phrases can mean whatever you wish them to mean.

This then affects your credibility as a professed Biblical scholar. If you cant get a book announcement correct, what can we expect from your Bible quotes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:11 am
As for Rex's contentions about being a biblical scholar, i've just re-read all of Joshua in the King James Version, just to be sure, and it nowhere states that he was outnumbered. RR has to infer that from a single passage which describes the troops available to Hazor as "even as the sand that is upon the sea shore in multitude, with horses and chariots very many." (Joshua 11:4) However, that refers to the conquest of Canaan after the fall of Jericho. So Rex just makes it up as he goes along, as it will be convenient to his feeble argument.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:37 am
Confused Very Happy PICTURING SET actually spending time cross referencing one of Rex's posts.

What, nothin on TV?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 06:39 am
No, it's just that when i read his off-hand comment that Joshua was outnumbered in the seige of Jericho, i knew he was just makin' **** up. So, i went to the source to be certain before i pointed it out. Joshua is not actually that long of a read.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:15 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Read the article again. I think you won't find any mention of God, Holy Spirit or anything coming out of anything.

That is exactly my point... Dumbing down the universe.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:19 am
rex
Quote:
However,Theres no requirement that you do all the dumming down by yourself.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:41 am
farmerman wrote:
rex
Quote:
However,Theres no requirement that you do all the dumming down by yourself.

How is recognizing the life and spirit of the universe dumbing it down?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 09:45 am
By anthropomorphing it down to your level which, of course, you never can do.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:12 am
Setanta wrote:
No, it's just that when i read his off-hand comment that Joshua was outnumbered in the seige of Jericho, i knew he was just makin' **** up. So, i went to the source to be certain before i pointed it out. Joshua is not actually that long of a read.

Set, thanks for checking that out. I don't like to be inaccurate especially concerning what is written in the good book. Where I am in question I do like to correct my errors.

The story of Joshua is recorded in a couple different places in the Bible if I am not mistaken. My OT knowledge is not that good. Moses gives a poll and lists the size of the Hebrew armies.

I cannot recall if it is 1 + 2 Chronicles 1 +2 Kings or Joshua, Judges but one set of books tells the exact same stories from man's perspective and another set of the books mentioned tells the stories (I believe the story of Joshua's battles too.) from God's perspective.

For instance in the chapter telling of a battle from man perspective would be worded, "God led us through this holy battle with such and such." but from God's perspective it will read the "Philistines" (as an example) fell upon their own swords.

As for this particular battle with Joshua, from my studying of it years ago I learned that the king whom Joshua was fighting had reinforcements that he was going to send under the cover of night. Since the night never came the reinforcements did not arrive. God would not have kept the sun shining if it had not been critical to the battle. Had Joshua had sufficient forces to defeat the king he would not have needed a "miracle"...

I believe there are two battles in the OT where God "holds the sun in the sky" also... I thought the other battle was with Elijah or Elisha. So I could theoretically be confusing them both. If my memory is correct, in total in the OT there are two days (or maybe 2 and 1/2 days) the earth has supposedly stopped (or a sun flare) not just one day. The are two separate instances and battles.

My knowledge of the OT is spotty at best. I will admit the NT is my long suit. Even some scriptures in the NT can be surprising to me from time to time. I am capable of making serious blunders in my OT recollection. I am in this forum to learn also.

Set, I liked the piece you wrote on the emergence of the religions of the various peoples of the earth.

I do wonder that ancient China may understand the spirit in spite of them being seemingly locked into the yin yang thing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:20 am
Rex-

I ought to warn you that Setanta considers it disrespectful to be addressed by familiar diminutives.

That's what he told me anyway and I have seen him tell others as well.

He gets quite shirty about it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:22 am
spendius wrote:
Rex-

I ought to warn you that Setanta considers it disrespectful to be addressed by familiar diminutives.

That's what he told me anyway and I have seen him tell others as well.

He gets quite shirty about it.

I have gotten used to Set's wrath. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:26 am
spendius wrote:
By anthropomorphing it down to your level which, of course, you never can do.

Just because the biological is observably the most evident does not negate the spiritual and the living forces that accompany the physical.

Just because we perceive light as a particle does not mean it is not made of "energy" and matter.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 14 Jun, 2006 10:28 am
Never give up Mr Red, there are readers here who find you entertaining. I just don't happen to be one of them.
0 Replies