RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 01:31 pm
farmerman wrote:
Quote:
Another evasion and not even glib. Do you really think folk can't recognise it as such. It seems your capacity to underestimate others cannot be overestimated and further proof that scientists couldn't run a pie shop. Toy soldiers are their playthings. Inanimate objects which will perform exactly what they will have them perform. Human behaviour is outside their ken.
. Tell me the truth spendi, youd love to do what I do and get paid for it.
All you can do is run some bakery. Now if you could bake, that , at least has purpose and is an artform.

You're both baked. (Couldn't resist it.) Laughing
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 01:53 pm
fm wrote-

Quote:
Tell me the truth spendi, youd love to do what I do and get paid for it.
All you can do is run some bakery. Now if you could bake, that , at least has purpose and is an artform.

Keep it up fm.

I love seeing anti-IDers make themselves look stupid and witless.It serves as a warning to the neutrals.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:20 pm
Rex wrote-

Quote:
Why do most you "science" obsessionists have to prefaced everything you say to me with an insult?

Instead of telling me I am babbling why don't you SPELL IT OUT.

Unless you yourself don't know how to spell things out and can only tell someone they are babbling.

I could equally say you're babbling and provide no reason or proof to substantiate my claim...

I have explained that to them already Rex and more than once.

I discovered that it is a waste of energy.

They think that only their insults have scientific validity, which discredits them in the eyes of intelligent neutrals. I even quoted Sir Anthony Eden and Sir Winston Churchill remarking on this propensity reaching the highest levels of American government circles in those years when they experienced it.

Perhaps it's "trickle down".
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:25 pm
Quote:

B-A-B-B-L-I-N-G
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:35 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:

B-A-B-B-L-I-N-G

Very funny but not helping. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:37 pm
spendius wrote:
Rex wrote-

Quote:
Why do most you "science" obsessionists have to prefaced everything you say to me with an insult?

Unless you yourself don't know how to spell things out and can only tell someone they are babbling.

I could equally say you're babbling and provide no reason or proof to substantiate my claim...

I have explained that to them already Rex and more than once.

I discovered that it is a waste of energy.

They think that only their insults have scientific validity, which discredits them in the eyes of intelligent neutrals. I even quoted Sir Anthony Eden and Sir Winston Churchill remarking on this propensity reaching the highest levels of American government circles in those years when they experienced it.

Perhaps it's "trickle down".

Maybe FM is stepping on the garden hose?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 02:40 pm
RR & Spendi . . . a marriage made in heaven . . . i'm sure you two boys will be very happy together . . .

. . . so go get a room . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:03 pm
So does survival of the fittest mean that when the skull grows bigger the teeth all fall out and bigger teeth will grow back in? What "external" biological force would cause an internal DNA mutation like regenerating teeth?

Evolution alone has allot to explain.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:11 pm
Setanta wrote:
RR & Spendi . . . a marriage made in heaven . . . i'm sure you two boys will be very happy together . . .

And Set, the "Grand Poobah" of insult.. (Aside from DYS)

Does Set stand for "set the tone"?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:37 pm
Setanta wrote-

Quote:

. . . so go get a room .

You'll need a big one to get your little band of anti-IDers in.

Rex-

Maybe they are not very well endowed in the whatsit department. I read a psychology book once by a peer reviewed scientist which suggested that there is a statistical link between little thingies and blurting insults out in deep loud tones whilst thrusting the shoulders and chest outwards.

Have you never read it. I forget who wrote it.

It might be that all their metabolism was directed to pumping their egos up and it forgot about thingies.

But what gets me is the paucity of imagination they bring to their art after all these years of practice. Their capacity to insult, and by doing it they tacitly invite reciprocation and offer opportunities for demonstrations of more stylish methods, is obviously synergetic with their dongers dongability and at a quite early stage of development.

They will, of course, assert the opposite but I doubt anybody is taking any notice of anything they say anymore as it's all a load of (fill in as wish).
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:38 pm
Survival of the Fittest?

Quote:
Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.

Well now we know, God doesn't exist. Hence, there was nothing to design anything.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:45 pm
spendius wrote:
Setanta wrote-

Quote:

. . . so go get a room .

You'll need a big one to get your little band of anti-IDers in.

Rex-

Maybe they are not very well endowed in the whatsit department. I read a psychology book once by a peer reviewed scientist which suggested that there is a statistical link between little thingies and blurting insults out in deep loud tones whilst thrusting the shoulders and chest outwards.

Have you never read it. I forget who wrote it.

It might be that all their metabolism was directed to pumping their egos up and it forgot about thingies.

But what gets me is the paucity of imagination they bring to their art after all these years of practice. Their capacity to insult, and by doing it they tacitly invite reciprocation and offer opportunities for demonstrations of more stylish methods, is obviously synergetic with their dongers dongability and at a quite early stage of development.

They will, of course, assert the opposite but I doubt anybody is taking any notice of anything they say anymore as it's all a load of (fill in as wish).

It was a little book with a schlong story I heard...

Perhaps... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 03:47 pm
xingu wrote:
Survival of the Fittest?

Quote:
Lioness in zoo kills man who invoked God Mon Jun 5, 8:31 AM ET

A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.

Well now we know, God doesn't exist. Hence, there was nothing to design anything.

God doesn't exist in idiocy...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 05:39 pm
So God formed the amoeba and said, be fruitful and multiply, so it split into two and so on and God was pleased. But the amoeba ate from the tree of knowledge and it changed it's structure into more complex interdependent creatures. Until the amoeba tower fell and the amoebas tongues were confused. Then the lord of the amoebas was nailed to a tree and died was buried and God raised the amoeba from the fiery pit. Now the amoeba is seated in heavenly places with God and all amoebas are saved by DNA.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 5 Jun, 2006 11:29 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
What we have here is "real life" attempting to play a word game--to substitute an argument about nomenclature for an argument about the process.

Yes. I think I said about the same thing in my previous post to RL:

rosborne979 wrote:
Unlike real animals which have a very detailed definition (as defined by their DNA), words are very crude. The word "fish" covers a myriad of types of fish, and the word "dog" covers a huge range of breeds.

Unlike the DNA which is specific, the words we use to describe things are somewhat arbitrary.

Each time a fish reproduces, the offspring is slightly different than it's parent, even though it's still close enough to be called a fish. Over many generations the changes accumulate, especially with natural selection honing them to new environments. Eventually, when we look back in hind sight, we see that one of those generations of fish no longer resembles the ORIGINAL fish, even though it closely resembles its PARENT.

You are trying to apply the arbitrary generalization of words to the specific world of reality.

You can not box evolution out of the game simply by claiming that it doesn't fit an arbitrary structure which we humans use to categorize things (for convenience).

If you really want to be specific, then each individual is completely unique and deserves a unique name (this is exactly what DNA does). There is no thing which is uniquely "fish", or uniquely "dog".

I haven't seen RL post an answer to this yet.

It is quite revealing that you routinely talk about fish 'evolving' into amphibians, etc but now you do not seem to know quite how to define what is 'uniquely fish'. Laughing

Yes all definitions are arbitrary, but definitions are commonly agreed upon to aid in communication. I know you think evolution is too wonderful for mere words, but unfortunately you are stuck with having to define it and defend your definition of it.

If a fish produces a series of offspring that eventually culminates in non-fish, then in one of the intervening generations, a specific fish produced what is specifically non-fish. Correct?

(Sorry I couldn't help posting it again, just to watch you squirm away from it.)
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 12:12 am
Hi Setanta,

Good to hear from you.

Regarding your question about the fossil record, there is no fossil that 'only evolution explains'.

Since fossils are not time stamped and are not accompanied by any evidence as to their ancestry, these things are inferred not observed.

In our discussion of bears recently, I asked the question: isn't it possible that many fossils regarded as 'transitional' could be examples of interbreeding between two similar creatures. (And the example of the polar bear was discussed at great length.)

Well, the obvious answer (but an uncomfortable admission for the evolutionist) is yes, they certainly can be.

So this is an example of how inferences drawn from the same evidence can differ widely.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 04:03 am
An important message for all neutrals.

Yesterday,for the first time, Rex Red and myself expressed a modicum of agreement on a minor matter.

This odd event, a first, provoked the following reaction, a pop-out, from Setanta-

Quote:

Now neutrals ought to be aware that on this thread and on another one on Science and Mathematics Setanta has expressed agreement, and been agreed with, on a regular basis over many months with timberlanko, farmerman, cicerone imposter, and one or two others.

In all that time such a thought as Setanta expressed on this singular occasion has never even entered my head regarding himself and members of his faction.

This is rather odd to say the least and I am content to leave it to interested neutrals to draw their own conclusions from it regarding the type of debating technique Setanta employs and on whether they think his approach is one they wish to see having any influence on school policy or any other policy.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 06:14 am
real life wrote:
Hi Setanta,

Good to hear from you.

Regarding your question about the fossil record, there is no fossil that 'only evolution explains'.

That is not the question, which you continue to evade. How does the mere existence of a "fossil record" (the use of fossil as an adjective modifying the noun record is telling) constitute circumstantial evidence for a creation by a deity?

Quote:
Since fossils are not time stamped and are not accompanied by any evidence as to their ancestry, these things are inferred not observed.

Fossils are "time-stamped" in that they are found embedded in rock formations, many of the various isotopes of which can be dated by the evidence of atomic decay. The state of decay of the isotopes can be observed.

Quote:
In our discussion of bears recently, I asked the question: isn't it possible that many fossils regarded as 'transitional' could be examples of interbreeding between two similar creatures. (And the example of the polar bear was discussed at great length.)

Fossils constitute morphological evidence. Even were any given fossil the product of what you are pleased to describe as interbreeding, the evidence that this has occurred would likely not be obvious in the fossil record, if only a single example were forthcoming. That is why every datum upon which a theory is based is subject to falsification. "Lucy" was only tentative evidence unless and until more evidence were found--and it subsequently was found. In the case of your bear example, to turn a favorite dodge of yours on its head and throw it back at you, this mating did not result in anything which were not a bear. The ability to determine that there had been breeding between a grizzly and a polar bear arose from being able to see the bear--it cannot be said with certainty (without killing and skinning the critter), that any significant morphological differences were present.

To that extent, it might be possible to suggest that singular examples in the fossil record were the product of "interbreeding" (although by definition, any two critters which can successfully breed are not members of different species)--although every iteration of evidence of a particular species makes the probability more remote, and the most you could hope to insist upon in the face of mounting evidence would be that "interbreeding" were one of the processes upon which evolution depends, in a feeble attempt to account for the proliferation of fossils which are morphologically the same.

In none of the foregoing have you established circumstantial evidence for a deity having created the diversity of life forms which one finds on this planet.

Quote:
Well, the obvious answer (but an uncomfortable admission for the evolutionist) is yes, they certainly can be.

See all of the above. No, that would not be "an uncomfortable admission" for those who accept the validity of a theory of evolution. (Once again, "evolutionist" is a false label--it only exists to the extent that those who by policy insist on creation insist upon it [the label "evolutionist]; creationist is a valid term because it derives from the insistence upon a religious creed, while "evolutionist" does not apply to those who accept and understand a theory of evolution, because they are reacting to the inferential meaning of the evidence. You attempt to "shoehorn" the evidence into your creed; those who accept a theory of evolution view the evidence as confirming the theory, or falsifying the details of the theory. If the latter takes place, the theory is not thrown out like a hapless baby in the bath water, the theory is refined thereby, and restated so as to more accurately describe the thesis in terms of all the available evidence. This is a crucial distinction in that religious creeds are not subject to revision, and must be accepted as they are--no amount of evidence can acceptably alter the credo, and all evidence to the contrary must be explained away or denied.)

On the basis of a single instance in which a grizzly and a polar bear appear to have successfully interbred, you wish to make an attempt to invalidate all fossil evidence. You have not done so. The most you can hope for is to show that some morphological change might be the product of interbreeding, and each new example of fossil evidence for a particular species serves to invalidate your thesis.

Quote:
So this is an example of how inferences drawn from the same evidence can differ widely.

No, that is an example that demonstrates only that grizzly and polar bears are not different species, at least to the extent that these two examples of bear can successfully interbreed, and are therefore by definition not separate species.

Which beings us back to the question which you so sedulously avoid. That question is what circumstantial evidence you have for a deity having created all of the life forms which are to be found on this planet, and since you insist, in the fossil record. Proving that any particular assumption of a theory of evolution is flawed (something which you have not accomplished) simply functions as falsification, requiring a revision of the theory to more accurately account for the evidence. Any such "proof" does not function to establish your contention that a creation has taken place. If you want to insist upon the fossile record, all it does is make the question more detailed--as is the case with the scientific method, any putative falsification simply requires an effective revision.

What evidence do you have that a creation by a deity is responsible for the diversity of life found on this planet?

If you assert the fossil record, what is it about the mere existence of fossils which serves as circumstantial evidence of a creation?

If you assert stratigraphy, what is it about stratigraphy which serves as circumstantial evidence of a creation?

If you assert "etc.," what is it about "etc." which serves as circumstantial evidence of a creation?

Upon what basis do you assert that the inability of someone here to explain a theory of evolution to your satisfaction constitutes evidence of a creation?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 07:40 am
Evolution is not a story of creation so it cannot tell us how the universe came to "exist".

Creation is the only science that tries to explain that the universe came to exist because of an illusive power even greater.

Yet science has no theory for the beginning. (Except for some new string theories.)

The universe is or the universe is not. I tend to think the universe is.

Science nearly unanimously proposes we all came from some zero event.

Yet science will not even speculate as to what was before zero.

Science says there is nothing observable before the big bang or before the beginning of the physical world.

So what science is inclined to have us believe is that if there is nothing physical that there can be no God before the big bang. So science has made a pretense that all things are physical.

All things are not physical.

Science even has their E=MC2 to prove that even "energy" is mass..

This is simply not true. There is energy that existed long before the big bang and this energy has zero mass because it is "possibility itself" or constructs (like a triangle, pi, symmetry). Symmetry in the absence of the physical world is the big bang. God is pure symmetry.

Symmetry writes itself where it is needed because symmetry is eternal and symmetry is possibility. Symmetry is the fabric of all that is. nothing is outside of symmetry because all that is requires symmetry to be.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 6 Jun, 2006 08:23 am
I did not mean my remark that, "I am not here for friends" to seem callused and cold. I do care about you all, that is why I put up with it. Your soul is good hands with me.

It is just that friends are not my focus. I feel that if the admiration of people were to become my obsession then the truth could be compromised by my need for adoration. One cannot love God too much. The greatest part of loving God is obedience to reasonable, rational truth.

If one of the unintended benefits is that I should make friends then that would be only out of God's bounty again.

I cannot make friends until I am in step and I do not feel I can really be in step with anyone yet. There are too many errors in this world that are propped up and believed. Error upon error compounded with each new idea.

Sure, occasionally I say something that nearly everyone here "openly" believes. But then I will open my mouth and spoil it. I will say something that none of you believe. I do this on purpose. Why don't you believe it? Because of fear and deeply engrained highly enigmatic perceptions, perplexities and stigmas. Why should I say something you all know anyway? I have so many things that I am sure you don't know yet. So because of my standard for truth I will never be "popular".

If you are wrong I will not hesitate to tell you, even at the risk of alienating myself and making "Edgar" mad... My friends are the most unfamiliar within their own confidence around me. They learn to listen and never take words lightly around me. Even when I ramble there are hidden messages that reveal great understanding.

Why do I know my understanding is great? Well because I have been a missionary most all of my life. I was educated personally by the greatest "teacher" that has lived in our time.

The same exact person you see here in this thread is the same person who has been teaching these very truths here that I have been teaching for over 20 years. None of the reactions are surprising to me. Few of the arguments I have not heard. Your reactions only tell me that my beliefs are well affirmed.

So I am not person blowing about in the wind just saying what comes to mind.

But you will see over time a consistent focus on the fundamentals of faith and practice.

Repetitions of concepts like body, soul, spirit and formed, made, created. Things that make whole sections of the Bible click and fit into place.

Like, just asking ones self the question, "To whom is the word addressed?" solves about 80% of the perceived contradictions in the Bible.

Different sections are "addressed" to different people.

So people take sections addressed to one people and confuse them with sections addressed to other people or all people in general. Like taking someone elses letter and perceiving it as a letter addressed to you can lead to egregious error.
0 Replies