timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:43 am
rl wrote:
Of course, one of the problems of assigning 'first cause' to a singularity which had 'amassed all mass and energy' is that it wouldn't be first.

No, it would be a singularity, best described as a phenomon (even though neither directly observed nor directly observable) without locus, dimension, form, mass, energy or antecedant in any frame of reference available to our present level of knowledge and understanding. Within, congruent to, consistent with, observable and describable through our sphere of reference, there was no "There" as we understand "There" prior to then, there was no "When" as we understand "When" prior to then, there was no "What" as we understand "What" prior to then, there was no "How" as we understand "How" prior to then, there was no "Why" as we understand "Why" prior to then, there was no "Then" as we understand "Then" prior to then, there was no time, space, matter, mass, or energy, as currently we understand them, prior to the singularity foundational of our observeable universe, foundational of our present sphere of reference - the very concepts depend from our present sphere of reference, which came into being with the emergence of the singularity and the concommitant subsequent developments which gave rise to the universe we observe, setting the conditions which bound our sphere of reference. There was nothing we understand prior to then. Read that statement carefully - it does not in any way entail there was nothing prior to then, just nothing we can understand within our current frame of reference. Not nothing, not something, for both are concepts dependent upon sphere of reference, but other than that encompassed by our current level of understanding within our current sphere of reference.

Quote:
Something ( mass and energy) apparently existed prior.

Nonsense - an unwarranted assumption, without basis in evidence. See the above.

Quote:
Where did the mass and energy come from?

Mass, energy, space and time as we experience them came into being as we experience them with the emergence of and consequent developments from the singularity. See the above.

Quote:
Yet another is: Since it wasn't amassed and had to be so, it must have occupied space, therefore the idea that the BB event generated or created the dimensions of space is false.

And then : Since it wasn't amassed and had to be so, it must have taken some time to do so, therefore the idea that the BB event generated or created the dimension of time is false.

Nonsense, patently absurd, illogical, at once evidenceless and contraindicated by all available evidence, nought but arrogant projection of preference, formed in ignorance. See the above.

Quote:
Sorry I'm such a doubter. It annoys some folks but I appreciate your patience.

It is not so much that you doubt, but rather that it is evidence-based, logically developed, demonstrable, accepted science which you obstinately continue to dispute in terms of the unevidenced, assumptionally developed, undemonstrable, deistic construct you endorse without doubt. What is most irritating to folks who dispute your proposition is the manner and practice by which you present your proposition; despite all evidence to the contrary and the existence of no evidence supportive of your proposition, you persist in maintaining that you have a proposition worthy of consideration. You have no proposition in and of fact and evidence, you offer mere assumption, assumption which betrays ignorance of and/or wanton, willful disregard for that which is known and understood, assumption founded soley upon that which you imagine, that which you prefer to be, assumption wholly dependent upon authority derived exclusively through internal self reference and assertion embodied within a particular mythopaeia among any number of mythopaeias of neither more nor less foundation, in opposition to that which is observed and understood to be as it is observed and understood, that which is observed and understood within the bounds of multiple, independently derived, consistently repeatable, consistently cross-corroborative, consistently non-contradictory, consistently mutually confirmational science. You display neither legitimate interest in nor desire to explore and understand the unknown, your evident fear and denial of the unkown is demonstrated in that you postulate a magical wall invented, constructed, imagined, wished specifically to shield your world from the unknown.

Again, what you offer is not argument, it is ignorance, fear, and superstition. Once more, demonstrate, objectively and in academically sound, forensically valid manner that religious faith, particularly the specific religious faith you appear to endorse, be differentiable from superstition.

I hope you too are having a good day - things here are great. Well, except perhaps that the grass insists on trying to get ahead of my ability to trim and mow Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:51 am
Lightwizard wrote:
To further piss of the fundamentalists who can't conceived of mankind having any direct relationship to the animal world, a recent scientific study has pointed toward early hominids sexually mating with the chimpanzee, our closest relative, and the "pure" hominid did not survive. I can see the fumes rising from their heads and it doesn't smell nice. My mammal done told me.

How about pissing off the scientists by saying monkeys evolved from rocks?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:58 am
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Quote:
Human beings seem incapable of conceiving of "limitlessness." If you say that the cosmos is infinite, people are still inevitably lead to ask what is on the other side. If you say the cosmos is eternal, people are still inevitably lead to ask what came before. The desire to resolve the issue of incomprehensible limitlessness has lead many people to assert that there is a deity. But said deity needs to be eternal and omnipotent in order to account for the cosmos and all it contains. This can be easily challenged by asking who or what created the creator, and if the reply is that the creator is eternal, one is back to square one. If one is going to assume that anything can be eternal, it is just as well that one assumes that the cosmos is eternal, in the absence of any evidence that a deity exists. The mere notice of the existence of the cosmos is not a good reason to assume a deity.

Suprisingly I have never given this much thought, why would the material need a beginning if we don't even have to give one to a supposed deity? Interesting...this is probably what I'll be thinking about today during the boring graduation ceremony.

This is where RexRed says something about the universe being God... Rolling Eyes

Is a triangle still a triangle outside of the universe? Do all three angles still add up to a straight line or two right angles?

Is square one still a square? Is pi still pi?

Geometry is consistent no matter the state of the physical universe. Geometry is infinitely true.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 10:58 am
Scientists would be likely to ignore the sort of vacuous offerings with which you customarily clog this thread.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 11:13 am
Setanta wrote:
Scientists would be likely to ignore the sort of vacuous offerings with which you customarily clog this thread.

Well I am a scientist and I haven't ignored them. I may be an artist but most of my art includes math and science.

Just as Leonardo Da Vinci as a painter knew science... I as a musician know science... So it must not be the science I am a part of that you are speaking of. It must be self righteous science wanna be's that think the spiritual world is still round and not a flat quantum universe with the earth at it's center...

The earth may be the most perceptibly aware object in the universe aside from God.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 11:21 am
When you state that you are a scientist, i don't believe you for a moment. I think you're lying.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 11:52 am
Setanta wrote:
When you state that you are a scientist, i don't believe you for a moment. I think you're lying.

Well I am a scientist, I was raised with all the chemists in Basking Ridge New Jersey, I aced science in my high school years, I excelled in science and my college studies all were musical performance and science related.

I have things like perfect pitch and I can play on the fly "almost" any song on the guitar that I can think of. I also play keyboards professionally and I measure musical events without hesitation. I can program music applications and if you go on my website and look at my graphic art it was created in vector geometry programs.

I was hooking a Commodore 64 Computer to DX7 Synthesizers and syncing them up with FSK or SMPTE time code (that was invented by NASA back in the 60's).

I had garage bands at 14 years old... By seventeen I was singer in the band performing in my hometown proms with people lined up to get in.(that is a story in itself)

Then it went into being a sound and computer engineer (which I had always really been way back to the Montgomery Ward cassette deck, then 4 tracks and then the Fostex 80 1/4 inch reel to reel...) 40 blank reels later three songs per reel I had years of studio time under my belt... then everything went digital.

Now, I spend all day just learning mostly science and some politics and creating new art. I have done this all of my life. It is my code...

So I do have a firm grasp of science and I come from a lineage of judges, rationalists, librarians, scientists and musicians. As a child it was expected of me to be a thinker but it was innate within me to be one anyway.

I do not boast of my life's accomplishments but I do make it known that there are vast areas of expertise that I do employ. This becomes evident to all who come to know me.

Yet there is so much more to learn and know and I must say that I don't like to hear myself talk that much. I also like to learn interesting things what I refer to as "trade secrets" and other people sharing the ideas they hold dear.

Because of my depth of knowledge and spirituality, most of what people say I find very "revealing"...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:07 pm
Which just goes to prove that while an entire horse may be led to water, a particular component of that horse cannot be made to think.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:18 pm
Setanta wrote-

Quote:

They would ignore that then. Why the "likely"? Are you not sure? How likely?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:20 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Which just goes to prove that while an entire horse may be led to water, a particular component of that horse cannot be made to think.

Maybe some don't prefer to be fed on what everyone else is fed on... I wouldn't call it water, more like sewerage.

Jer 2:13
For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:26 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
Again, what you offer is not argument, it is ignorance, fear, and superstition. Once more, demonstrate, objectively and in academically sound, forensically valid manner that religious faith, particularly the specific religious faith you appear to endorse, be differentiable from superstition.

I have done that for you timber. To do so I gave a short version, as best I could, of Kingsley Davis's explanation. (Berkeley). It's in Human Society published by The Macmillan Company of New York. It's clear cut.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:28 pm
timberlandko wrote:

Hummmmm....

...and Ed Zacherly what part of the horse are you referencing here, Timb...

...ahhhhhh....

....ahhhhhh...

....never mind.

I think I know.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:29 pm
spendius wrote:
Setanta wrote-

Quote:

They would ignore that then. Why the "likely"? Are you not sure? How likely?

Likely is an oxymoron...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:31 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
timberlandko wrote:

Hummmmm....

...and Ed Zacherly what part of the horse are you referencing here, Timb...

...ahhhhhh....

....ahhhhhh...

....never mind.

I think I know.

Hi Frank,

...and what part of the horse are you? Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 12:35 pm
Maybe the space between his teeth... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:19 pm
Speaking about spaces between teeth...

Time.

No matter what "time" the universe is physically based upon there is theoretically a more quantized reckoning. Even within a black hole there is possibly no physical time yet there is still a quantum time "beneath".

Time can be measures in (ticks) 1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 etc...
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:23 pm
Rex...all that training, yet no rationality. Maybe you should get a reality check and pick up a nice hobby like golf.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:28 pm
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Rex...all that training, yet no rationality. Maybe you should get a reality check and pick up a nice hobby like golf.

Science has so many holes as it is and rationality is a legitimate process for creating more holes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:31 pm
spendius wrote:
timber wrote-

Quote:

I have done that for you timber. To do so I gave a short version, as best I could, of Kingsley Davis's explanation. (Berkeley). It's in Human Society published by The Macmillan Company of New York. It's clear cut.

I submit, spendi, no such condition pertains. I assert your claim per that regard is erroneous, in that, in the cited work, Davis (on pages 509 & 510 of the copy I have to hand) unambiguously describes the "rationalistic approach" to religion and matters religious as a major fallacy, explicitly declaring "religious behavior is not rational". By way of expansion, I refer you to this 1959 Address Delivered by Davis (note: 16 page .pdf document), "The Myth of Functional Analysis As A Special Method In Sociology and Anthropology", wherein Davis at length and in detail shreds any basis for the notion you've presented.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Jun, 2006 02:39 pm
RexRed wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:

Science has so many holes as it is and rationality is a legitimate process for creating more holes.

I submit, Rex, that what is "full of holes" is not science but rather is your flawed perception of science.
0 Replies