RexRed

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 12:10 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
When will this trend "bottom out" and what will the percentages read in, say, ten years? This should be correlated with percentages of those who believe evolution is absolute without a higher power other than nature (which is, after all, a higher power -- at least at the present time), a function associated with an intelligent designer or not valid in any way.

The trend bottoms out directly to the proportion of devolution...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 24 May, 2006 02:03 pm
You are the expert in writing sentences that mean absolutely nothing and then you end them with... because you are unable to finish any thought. Obviously, it's because you aren't thinking.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:12 am
Actually, last week's New Scientist stated that we could be putting evolution in reverse with our actions, which is why we don't see much of it happening anymore.

In Santa Cruz Island, near human populations, the diversity is taking a hit because people are putting out bird feeders with grains that every bird can eat. With no selection pressure, two formerly distinct groups of birds have collapsed into one. (Proceedings of the Royal Society B, DOI:10.1098/rspb.2006.3534)

There's another example in Canada where two sorts of stickleback used to live. One that fed near the bottom, one that fed near the top of the lake. Human introduction of crayfish, however, has forced them to feed in the same zone. (Molecular Ecology, vol 15 p343).

Or was RexRed talking about something completely different?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:24 am
Rex was likely babbling, which is about all he does here. However, you've now given him reason to claim he had a point when he posted that drivel.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:30 am
Actually, now that I've bothered to read what he said in context, I realise he couldn't have been talking about the same thing I did in my last post. Not unless you use total logical disconnect e.g. I like pasta because my house is made out of bricks.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:30 am
It's the same when you make women behave chastely.

They all start baking and washing and ironing and warming your pygamas and having your slippers ready when you get home.

They are terrible under the principles of evolution. They make you do tests of bravery,perseverence and humilty.

I'm all for resisting evolution.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 07:32 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Actually, now that I've bothered to read what he said in context, I realise he couldn't have been talking about the same thing I did in my last post. Not unless you use total logical disconnect e.g. I like pasta because my house is made out of bricks.

Hey ! ! ! This house is made out of bricks, too, and i just love pasta! Coincidence? I think not . . .
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:06 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
Actually, last week's New Scientist stated that we could be putting evolution in reverse with our actions, which is why we don't see much of it happening anymore.

In Santa Cruz Island, near human populations, the diversity is taking a hit because people are putting out bird feeders with grains that every bird can eat. With no selection pressure, two formerly distinct groups of birds have collapsed into one. (Proceedings of the Royal Society B, DOI:10.1098/rspb.2006.3534)

There's another example in Canada where two sorts of stickleback used to live. One that fed near the bottom, one that fed near the top of the lake. Human introduction of crayfish, however, has forced them to feed in the same zone. (Molecular Ecology, vol 15 p343).

Wolf you hit the nail on the head! ... Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
Rex was likely babbling, which is about all he does here. However, you've now given him reason to claim he had a point when he posted that drivel.

I still have a point...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:46 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You are the expert in writing sentences that mean absolutely nothing and then you end them with... because you are unable to finish any thought. Obviously, it's because you aren't thinking.

Maybe I don't always want to do your thinking for you... Smile
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 12:58 pm
Very poor save. I think the ... just means you are a bit dotty.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:01 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

I thought that evolution, as postulated, didn't have a 'direction' or 'purpose'. (?)

How 'bout the reason we don't see it happening is because it isn't? Now there's a concept.

(Wolf, if NS is truly saying that we don't see evolution happening, that's quite an admission. Or was that just your take on it?)
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:06 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

In some cases I may admittedly, be dotty. In this case, just curt.

Wolf nearly explained exactly what I meant. Which means my meaning was not at all obscured but only understood by those who are evidently "enlightened" along these lines...

We devolve directly to the proportion that we neglect our spiritual duties.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:13 pm
RexRed wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

Wolf nearly explained exactly what I meant. Which means my meaning was not at all obscured but only understood by those who are evidently "enlightened" along these lines...

You've had exactly what you meant nearly explained? Explain what you wanted to explain by posting another dotty statement. Spiritual duties, huh -- yours should be to stop posting nonsense on A2K.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:34 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:

You've had exactly what you meant nearly explained? Explain what you wanted to explain by posting another dotty statement. Spiritual duties, huh -- yours should be to stop posting nonsense on A2K.

Your spiritual duty is to evolve from perceiving truth as nonsense.

Duties?

First duty is to God.

Then,

Self

Then others of the spiritual faith.

Then our earthy families,

Then the world and society... Smile
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:36 pm
Maybe you have an earthy family, but the rest of us are not necessarily so afflicted.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
Maybe you have an earthy family, but the rest of us are not necessarily so afflicted.

I am very fortunate that my earthy family is also part of my spiritual family...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:42 pm
Is this earth family colored in ochre or sienna?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:46 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Is this earth family colored in ochre or sienna?

Colored in the word of God...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 25 May, 2006 01:52 pm
Your script writer worked for Cecile B. DeMille, right?
0 Replies