Setanta

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:20 am
All powerful is omnipotent--the issue here is omniscience. By definition, anyone or anything which were omniscient already knows all, he/she/it could not selectively choose not to know something.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:21 am
Yes, why do all christians pray? Do they not ask god for favors of one thing or another? What happened to "responsibility" for our own actions?

Why do christians thank god for the food they eat? Ever hear of Durfur, and the many starving? Why not give them your food? Isn't that the "christian thing to do?"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:22 am
Lightwizard wrote:
The notion of any of the gods seletively applying their "power" is interesting in view that the Christian God in the Bible, if it is the word of God, endorses some behavior that is anathema for me, like slavery. Would someone really read this Medieval, dated, conflicted, episodic piece of mythological literature and tell me if it ends up being for the simple minded who have difficulty discerning right from wrong?

We have the ultimate free will -- we are guided by internal thoughts and I wish that all of us were free of character flaws and always did the right thing. Those who claim they always do by preaching are not fooling any of us here.
I'm glad to see you believe in free will and certainly wish you had come aboard.

I've never ceased to be amazed at the number of folks who adopt the deterministic view.

As for the subject of slavery, and it's application to religion, that deserves a special topic. I remember Frank and I going round and round on this subject once. . .

Speaking of Frank - where is the old geezer, anyway? I miss him. The board needs his spice.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:28 am
Setanta wrote:
All powerful is omnipotent--the issue here is omniscience. By definition, anyone or anything which were omniscient already knows all, he/she/it could not selectively choose not to know something.
If the person/being/entity were, in fact, omniscient.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:30 am
I don't know -- Frank seems to have dissapeared into the woodwork. I do hope he's okay. Maybe I should pray for him? Very Happy

God seems to be very impatient with us. He lets Noah know that his creation isn't going in the right direction and he's going to erase his creation by drowing all of humankind and starting over from scratch. What a chef! I don't want to eat in his restaurant! Very Happy
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:41 am
neologist wrote:
Why is it impossible for some to understand that, if God exists, he certainly must have the ability to selectively apply his powers, including his power of foreknowledge?
I've read your rationale as per "selective" on other posts at other times, and as mentioned I find it rather a head scratchier, not the least of which is because there is no mention in the bible of what I would argue would need to be a positively pivotal, persuasively pervasive precept.

There are a number of other arguments I & others have raised about this "selective" notion. We could re-visit them. I have pointed out logical fallacies, contractions and paradoxes in abundance, but let's look at your biblical references first, as you should be able to provide ample support for such a positively pivotal, persuasively pervasive precept.

When you respond I expect you to provide at least one key phrase with some nifty alliteration, else you will not get any dessert.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:45 am
God selectively uses his/her/its "power" like David Copperfield selectively decides what he is going to make dissapear? God is David Copperfield?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

LW, With the subsequent greater sins of mankind, I wonder why god hasn't taken the same action of a world flood to start all over? Kind of inconsistent even for a god. We can even build mega ships today, but who would be chosen as Noah? LOL
0 Replies

wandeljw

neologist wrote:
Speaking of Frank - where is the old geezer, anyway? I miss him. The board needs his spice.

Frank himself admits that he may have flipped his lid. He can be found here:

Frank's Latest Thread
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 10:58 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
LW, With the subsequent greater sins of mankind, I wonder why god hasn't taken the same action of a world flood to start all over? Kind of inconsistent even for a god. We can even build mega ships today, but who would be chosen as Noah? LOL

Now you're going to get all the end-of-the-world nutcase commentary, forgetting that his creation hasn't been doing so well since after the flood. I would have likely erased it when the Library of Alexandria was burned, but then this God might have pranced with joy over that event. The only thing the believers can cheer about is advances in technology because the rest of it is pretty much of a mess. Those advances are man-made and the results haven't always been used for good.

I await with baited breath for the sermon on that one. It will be another simplistic gushing of ecclesiastical nonsense.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:04 am
Lightwizard wrote:
God might have pranced with joy over that event.

God prances? What are you trying to say, LW? Smile
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:05 am
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Why is it impossible for some to understand that, if God exists, he certainly must have the ability to selectively apply his powers, including his power of foreknowledge?
I've read your rationale as per "selective" on other posts at other times, and as mentioned I find it rather a head scratchier, not the least of which is because there is no mention in the bible of what I would argue would need to be a positively pivotal, persuasively pervasive precept.

There are a number of other arguments I & others have raised about this "selective" notion. We could re-visit them. I have pointed out logical fallacies, contractions and paradoxes in abundance, but let's look at your biblical references first, as you should be able to provide ample support for such a positively pivotal, persuasively pervasive precept.

When you respond I expect you to provide at least one key phrase with some nifty alliteration, else you will not get any dessert.
I have revisited the subject here. I must say you have been presumptuous in pointing out what you believe to be paradoxes in this proposition which declares only that God, if he exists, can do whatever the heck he wants do do regardless of the words we may use to define it.

His very name implies such.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:11 am
wandeljw wrote:
Lightwizard wrote:
God might have pranced with joy over that event.

God prances? What are you trying to say, LW? Smile

Yes, we could envision as a he, with the flowing robes, a slight lisp and a decidedly obvious mince in his walk. Oh, no, now God is Truman Capote.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:12 am
There we go with the mysoginistic reference to God as a "him." Male egotistical and hypocritical boorishness knows no bounds.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:16 am
Sorry. He has been reported to refer to himself as he.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:17 am
I've been asking if god has a penis, and nobody has come forward with a answer. Somebody said it's a "spirit." That spirit is all in the believers mind, and nowhere else; or blind belief. Can't even provide evidence for such a definition.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:25 am
The Bible was written in a patriarchal society which hasn't changed much until the past one-hundred years. Naturally, the male authors of the work would refer to God as a him. Is it a term of convenience? I think not -- it's as obvious as it can be.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:31 am
LW, That's not the only boner in the bible; too many contradictions, omissions, and errors for it to be the word of any god. That believers can ignore all them mistakes is telling; they've all lost their common sense and logical abilities.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:36 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I've been asking if god has a penis, and nobody has come forward with a answer. Somebody said it's a "spirit." That spirit is all in the believers mind, and nowhere else; or blind belief. Can't even provide evidence for such a definition.
Been partaking of your avatar, CI?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 1 May, 2006 11:41 am
Not this early in the moring, I assume! Laughing
0 Replies