xingu

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 09:37 pm
Looks like it could give you a sore throat.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 09:38 pm
I figure I must be spiraling down the artless-godless path to pure oblivion, as I am plagiarizing one of my own posts, but frankly, Scarlett......
Quote:
I have thought long and hard on this and have come to the conclusion that the power of humor has for the most part been exempted from the popular beliefs.

I therefore must ask the question how and why our major religious tomes and institutions are so lacking in proclaiming this essential force, and how we should tap into this elemental drive to further God's divine word.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Apr, 2006 09:59 pm
Chumley, I have always assumed you read the comic book called the bible, and had your share of yuks.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:18 am
CI, that one went over like a lead balloon... Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 12:25 am
Chumley wrote:
Well did ask real life for a joke or two, and humor is in the eyes of the beholder.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 04:48 am
ros said
Quote:
However, the current polar bear population probably doesn't have much variation expressed in its gene pool, which makes it relatively unlikely that they would survive an environmental shift which pushes the existing form beyond survival capability.
. It has at least as much variation as any other bear poplation. Remember when we discussed some of the evolutionary features that Urus maritimus has already made in becoming its present form. It already has webbing in tween its toes, its developed hollow guard hairs instead of blubber, and its nares have actually migrated to a position not unlike those of certain pinnipeds. I believe they close and open to block water.

Anyway, Im bnot taking sides , Im just trying some speculation. Remember, evolution is making what weve already got, do something different. This involves genetic variation and cumulative selection.

In trying to track down the pigs at Tokelau , since the data was presented in a paper by a colleague a few years ago.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:12 am
rl
Quote:
A '49er came down from the hills with a small pouch tucked tightly into his pocket. As he entered the assayer's office he glanced around and when he saw that no one else was present, he whispered to the assayer "I think I found gold in yonder hills!" And with that he pulled out the pouch and poured it's contents on the table.

The rocks and dust glinted yellow in the sunlight and the '49er could hardly contain his excitement. After a long pause, the old prospector spoke up a little louder, "Didn't ya hear me? I found gold! Go ahead --test it! I wanna know for sure"

But Xingu the wise assayer shook his head and patted the old man on the shoulder. "Don't you know you can't use as evidence the thing you are testing? These rocks aren't evidence. If you can't present me with something other than these rocks to test, then you have nothing."

This makes absolutely no sense at all, Im used to you coming up with "variants" of evidence, but this is a stretch, even for you.
You are still attempting to emit credibility rays by beleving that "evidence" is open to interpretation. The problem with Creation "science", like John Mackay, they break all rules of science in making their analyses. For example, John has had a bunch of Oz Creationists wander all over the Appalachians to show "Flood deposites" Their evidence? They found some carbonized plant remains in the Chatanooga shales, an anoxic deep sea sediment. They found some plant fragments and then, armed with these few bits n pieces , claimed that "Finding plant bits ( of land p[lants supposedly) mixed in withg "deep sea sediments" , this PROVES that this was a flood. Were science that simple minded. We find , in deep sea sediment cores, evidence of plant stems and terrigenous crap even today. We find these in shelf deposits and can not argue with the fact that we found these fossils in the bottom of an ocean of some size. Macklay has neglected all the other evidence that clearly shows that the
1Chatanooga was a deep sea basin

2 Ocean currents carry detritus and this detritus pools in eddies and sinks to the bottom and gets incorporated into the bottom seds

3 Lingula and other sessile benthic organisms make up the exclusive fossil animal component of the bottom seds in the Chatanooga. Mackay could never deny that this area (which covers abut 4 states) had been an ocean bottom just quietly sitting there with its own life "pool" Its more an example that detritus flated into, and got incorporated into the ocean shelf deposits.

4 Stratigraphy is able to measdure how long the deposits were being accumulated. (The Chatanooga formation , is , and Mackay failed to tell his "flock" that it had been depositing layer upon layer , of oily benthic organic shales until its about 20000 feet thick.

5The Chatanooga has hardly any\ evidence of "turbidity deposits". The only turbidites are from undersea cliff slumps (like undersea avalanches)

6 The environment of deposition (using conodont color scales) of the Chatanooga , fits really well with an anoxic source rock , that contains "tar deposits"

When the Creationists "use" evidence, they ALWAYS omit the entire story and are ALWAYS guilty of "gilding the rose" . After all, imagine having your "flock" donate the bucks to fund a "Creationist expedition" to the New World and then not find anything

It isnt so much that the Creationists vary on interpretation of evidence, they actually omi any references to conflicting data or evidence that actually refutes their pre drawn 'conclusions". They are frauds, clear and simple, and you believers keep funding their efforts.

PS , MAcakay doesnt ever publish because hed be laffed off the page.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:40 am
Quote:
It isnt so much that the Creationists vary on interpretation of evidence, they actually omi any references to conflicting data or evidence that actually refutes their pre drawn 'conclusions". They are frauds, clear and simple, and you believers keep funding their efforts.

That's one reason I have such contempt for creationist and IDer's. They lie, they lie and they lie.

Then they pawn themselves off as good moral ethical Christians who will go to Heaven because of their lies and deceit.

I rarely bother to answer Real anymore because his responses are not only incredibly stupid but dishonest. There are many out there who will lie for God because they think it will save their souls.

It doesn't say much for their God or religion that they are required to stoop to such depths of behavior in order to be accepted by their God.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:44 am
I agree they are fraudsters Farmer. What I dont understand is why serious academics have anything to do with them. Treat them with disdain and contempt like Richard Dawkins does, that would be my take on it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 05:52 am
I dont believe that rl is the source of the stuff he posts. HEs a believer who wants to believe his "side". Sometimes, like in the 49 er and the gold assay analogy, he doesnt actually "get" what hes saying. He's actually made an argument for the scientific method by denying its validity.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:04 am
Dawkins, while he makes some valid points of drawing conclusions from good strong evidence, does have some problems. Hes a raving lunatic, for one. Hes done more harm by posting inflammatory things outside the realms of science, and therefore hes just as guilty as the rabid religionists in leaping to conclusions that can neither be supported nor denied.
Evo/devo theory needs no prodding or accelreation by skipping over steps, and Im a stickler on adherance to the "rules of evidence" and chains of custody.
The recent discoveries of the fish

Tiktaliik by Ted Daeschler et al in Ellsmere Island has been published in Nature and guys like Nick Wade and other science "pop" writers , have taken Teds data and embellished it beyond where the evidence has allowed us. There is no evidence supporting the "uses" of Tiktaliiks tructures. As far as Im aware, all the fossil was found in a shallow alluvial deposit. The fish didnt "walk" out on land , .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 06:10 am
Is it an accurate statement that this species was not known to walk on land, or are you saying that, definitively, we can know that it did not?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 01:06 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:

That's one reason I have such contempt for creationist and IDer's. They lie, they lie and they lie.

Then they pawn themselves off as good moral ethical Christians who will go to Heaven because of their lies and deceit.

I rarely bother to answer Real anymore because his responses are not only incredibly stupid but dishonest. There are many out there who will lie for God because they think it will save their souls.

It doesn't say much for their God or religion that they are required to stoop to such depths of behavior in order to be accepted by their God.

That is complete bull...

What scientists can't/don't lie?

Science doesn't have to lie they cannot distinguish between the truth and a lie so they "believe" they are right which makes them worse than liers. They are obsessed by science such that it obscures them from seeing anything else. Sounds like an inquisition to me...

At least liars are aware of their limitations...

Science has not and never can disprove God yet they mostly DO NOT believe in God...

So they believe a certain way with no evidence to back up this belief? That is not only deception but enough deception to get oneself sent to hell for all eternity.

Science is nothing but a hot air (ego) ballon... remember the Hindenburg?

Science had not arrived at anything that religion would not have eventually discovered, science has just done it less ethically and with less concern for the earth...

You think because you can prove evolution you have disproved God and the Bible? Haha!

You have only proven God used Evolution.

RL shows humility toward God and the unknown and humility is perceived as a lie to those who have never experienced anything other than their own deification... Yet the lie is obviously the scientist who had created a fantasy world and purposefully cut God out of the equation...

How boastful of the scientist to look at the world and come up with "unintelligent design"... UD?

I am sure science could have done a better job with creating the universe than God...

Science says intelligence evolved and so stupidity must have put the world here... Science is hopelessly lost in their own jumbled jargon...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 01:23 pm
RexRed wrote:
I am sure science could have done a better job with creating the universe than God...
In simplistic terms science does not "do" anything, people do.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 01:25 pm
Also, science doesn't say anything; people do.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:10 pm
Another typical non sequitur. RL's proclamations are the nutty rhetorical propaganda of a religious zealot -- oxymorons and false similes abound.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:31 pm
Would anyone be willing to address this?
Chumly wrote:
I read that under certain circumstances, small isolated populations with little apparent variance, can morph relatively quickly (by evolutionary standards) because any beneficial mutation/adaptation is quickly optimized within the small group setting. Whereas in large group settings, such a beneficial mutation/adaptation may either get "absorbed" or take much longer to have a group net effect.

Also it suggested than if/when such accelerated evolution takes place, the chances of fossil records would be correspondingly low.

IOW although there is more risk to the survival of the species with a small group, the potential for accelerated evolution may at times be a saving grace.

I'm not implying we should gun down polar bears to help them adapt!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 02:33 pm
Left-handedly, we're being accused of making science God. That's so nutty, it could have someone committed to an institution with psychopathic delusions.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:22 pm
Quote:

Science says intelligence evolved and so stupidity must have put the world here... Science is hopelessly lost in their own jumbled jargon...

You have no idea what your talking about. But I would expect that from someone so ignorant in science.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 24 Apr, 2006 03:33 pm
Chumly wrote:
Would anyone be willing to address this?
Chumly wrote:
I read that under certain circumstances, small isolated populations with little apparent variance, can morph relatively quickly (by evolutionary standards) because any beneficial mutation/adaptation is quickly optimized within the small group setting. Whereas in large group settings, such a beneficial mutation/adaptation may either get "absorbed" or take much longer to have a group net effect.

Also it suggested than if/when such accelerated evolution takes place, the chances of fossil records would be correspondingly low.

IOW although there is more risk to the survival of the species with a small group, the potential for accelerated evolution may at times be a saving grace.

I'm not implying we should gun down polar bears to help them adapt!

Sure, I'll address it. It seems to be mostly wishful thinking.

By definition the mutation/genetic change can only effect generations yet unborn[/b], not those already present.

So the only effect will be on the critter's descendants, not on his contemporaries, no matter how few or many there are.

There is a chance that he will reproduce more in a larger[/b] population (more opportunity!) than in a smaller one.

So if anything , the odds will favor the larger group not the smaller from realizing any gain from the genetic change.

In a small group, there are fewer descendants overall and fewer opportunities for any one individual to reproduce.

Genetic changes might or might not be passed on. Since there is no guarantee that a genetic change will survive past the first generation, you reduce the odds of it being passed on at all in a smaller group.

Had I taken the opposite opinion, no doubt many would have taken this one, so I did it first. Laughing
0 Replies