Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:37 pm
Science has us jumping from Butter to Margerine every six months.

God does have a sense of Humor.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 04:41 pm
That's not difficult to figure out -- they're both not good for you in great quantities. There is a beneficial chemistry to butter and healtier margerines. Maybe a little of both in the diet?

Of course, that doesn't work with Creationism. You can't borrow from science those few ideas that seem to work and mix them in to make Creationism into a science. It's the sophomoric musings of the uneducated.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:16 pm
If science discovers "god" will he have exsisted before that discovery?

Or was chicken soup good for a cold before the Scientist decoverd it?

Science is the discovery of or own ignorance to the limit of our human capacity and beyond that is god.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:31 pm
Amigo wrote:
God does have a sense of Humor.
sick and twisted but definitely there.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 05:34 pm
A fictonal character can have any kind of personality/characteristic man can dream up.

For me, god is the utmost in human degeneration. Man's imagination has not failed us.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:06 pm
Science is the tower of Babel with test tubes and micro chips. Laughing

Science without spirituality is the art of replacing the clubs of cavemen with the nukes of cavemen.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:08 pm
It's a good thing the church didn't have nukes during the Inquisition.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:13 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
If they did they would get them from scientist. Very Happy

I don't confuse the church with god.

To everybody, I'm speaking lighthearted. Not in a cocky way.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 06:32 pm
Just because there are guns available in the US, it doesn't mean they need to be used. More gun fatalities happen at home.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:03 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Just because there are guns available in the US, it doesn't mean they need to be used. More gun fatalities happen at home.
That depends on who you are. Yes, guns are inert object. But that is another topic.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:05 pm
real life wrote:

To call this a scientific test is ludicrous.

Were all of the sick who are compared with one another at the same degree of illness? Obviously not, some were much worse off at the beginning than others so you are not starting off with an equivalence in your test subjects.

Did each one of them undergo exactly the same medical procedures, take exactly the same medicines, and follow the same regimen as regards diet, exercise, cessation of smoking, etc. Again obviously not. Probably not two of them out of hundeds were alike.

Did each of the persons praying receive the same instructions regarding how to pray for the sick? Obviously not, they were from diverse religious groups and probably have a wide variance as to what is believed regarding prayer and specifically prayer for seriously ill persons, and each one followed their own manner of prayer.

They were not told to pray all in the same way, nor were they standardized in any manner.

So on both sides of the equation -- the sick and the pray-er --- you probably don't have any two alike, no standardization before or during the test, just the attempt afterward to draw a conclusion based on a faulty method.

You're gonna call this a 'scientific' test?

The new $2.4 million study, funded primarily by the John Templeton Foundation, was designed to overcome some of those shortcomings. Dusek and his colleagues divided 1,802 bypass patients at six hospitals into three groups. Two groups were uncertain whether they would be the subject of prayers. The third was told they would definitely be prayed for.

The researchers recruited two Catholic groups and one Protestant group to pray "for a successful surgery with a quick, healthy recovery and no complications" for 14 days for each patient, beginning the night before the surgery, using the patient's first name and the first initial of the last name.

Over the next month, the two groups that were uncertain whether they were the subject of prayers fared virtually the same, with about 52 percent of patients experiencing complications regardless of whether they were the subject of prayers.

Surprisingly, 59 percent of the patients who knew they were being prayed for experienced complications.

Because the most common complication was an irregular heartbeat, researchers speculated that knowing they were chosen to receive prayers may have inadvertently put the patients under increased stress

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/03/30/AR2006033000902.html

discussion
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=72071&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Maybe the Catholics tilt their heads a different way from the Protestants.
P
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:09 pm
Amigo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Science gave us airplanes and skyscrapers; but it took religion to bring them together.

P
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:14 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
Amigo wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:

Science gave us airplanes and skyscrapers; but it took religion to bring them together.

P
Religion is manmade. Religion is a product of men not god. Men flew planes into skyscrapers.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:18 pm
Pauligirl wrote:

Gotta love Captain Obvious

Cheese Mr. Green
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:36 pm
Creationism is giving them a sleigh ride down the nearest chimney and it isn't even Christmas.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:46 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Pauligirl wrote:

Gotta love Captain Obvious

Cheese Mr. Green

Thanks for the introduction to the Captain! I stole Cheese's quote off a tee-shirt. Found it highly appropriate. :wink:
P
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:14 pm
It took nut-cases to bring together the buildings and airplanes. Religion is just a crutch with no evidence to prove it.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:49 pm
If as some claim prayer works because god answers one's call then god would already know you are going to pray
- So there is no reason to pray to have god answer your call
- But if you don't pray god will not answer your call
- So you would need to pray to have god answer your call
- But if you are going to pray then god already knows you're going to pray so there is no reason to pray to have god answer your call

But if you don't pray.........
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:53 pm
What's perplexing to me is vol_fan06 posts this silly question and then promptly dissapears. Well, not so perplexing. Maybe totally expected? Hit and run postings always smack of one of our lowly ancestors, the troll. But, wait, that's really mythology. However, it does fit with the Bible.
Maybe he's enrolled at a university in science courses that are all related to the concept of evolution (I think there are at least five). Somehow I don't think these people could make it past the first pop quiz in a course on paleontology.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 08:54 pm
Given that "NO!", by definition, is an answer, it could be argued all prayer is answered ....
0 Replies