wandeljw

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:40 am
theundonepoet,

In all fairness, farmerman has never attempted to "convert anyone to atheism".

Farmerman tries to clarify various aspects of science. If you are not interested in science, why are you discussing evolutionary theory?

You seem concerned about others trying to mischaracterize you. You are guilty of mischaracterizing farmerman.
0 Replies

TheUndonePoet

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:18 am
"If, then" statements are conditional. I made two "if, then" statements. If it is day time, then the sun is out. If it is not day time, then the sun is not out. I did not characterize farmerman.

The........
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:29 am
undone. Why do you equate evolution with aetheism? Thats quite a false leap in logic IMHO. catholics Lutherans, presbyterians, Most jews and Muslims are quite comfortable with evolution. Like I said before, to them its no more an issue with their faiths than is weather forecasting. Only a few of the more Evangelical sects take that reasoning to heart ( see an earlier letter I cut and pasted re: the rationale for ID and Creationism among certain Christians (and Lbovitchers and Shei )
I like your honesty, it is the reason I argue with real life, he too is honest about his beliefs and isnt running a mere conflict resolution with me.
He will, however, at least attack my science and we go round and round. Many others get more passionate than I do , but I have that quiet confidence of someone who's living is based partly on evidence of evolution. Its amazing what a job can do.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:43 am
Render you subjectivised you mean.

Now that's ego over intellect for sure.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 11:48 am
spendi never subjectivises anything. LOL
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:33 pm
spendi
Quote:
Render you subjectivised you mean.

Now that's ego over intellect for sure.

Thats because you have little idea about the subject at hand. Im good at what I do, I see no reason for false humility. Thats dishonest. I am wrong many times, I adjust my theses as needed (and as evidence supports).
Since when are ego and intellect exclusive? Philosophically , the ego is the full self over which is imposed ones experience. I plead guilty.
We say it another way. "The best geologist is the one that's seen and has remembered the most rocks"

At least my posts come to some point on topic, whereas many of yours kind of wander around in a masturbatory haze.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
farmerman,

I predict that your post will only get spendi to talk about his "rocks".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm
Ya gotta love spendi.Here he ws doin this alcoholic act and then we find out , as he peels back the onion, that he only drinks "near beer"
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 01:28 pm
Personally, I pretty much drink whenever beer is near. In fact, I much prefer to be near beer; I'm bothered some when I find I've gotten myself inconveniently far from beer.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 01:33 pm
I'm with timber; when I travel to different countrties, I always ask for the "local" beer/bier/cervesa/pint.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:13 pm
bada bump bump. tsshhhh (cymbal)
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:38 pm
I don't recall being out of range of a beer pump since I was employed,at a f*****g pittance I might add,to help fetch the oil for the "good folks back home".
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:40 pm
TheUndonePoet wrote:
farmerman,

They are not interpretations; they are completely different records from completely different records from completely different civilizations at completely different times.

The..................

from completely different floods. Most early settlements were near a water source. They tend to flood. If everything as far as the eye can see is flooded, then ya tend to think that the whole world is flooded. Especially in the days before CNN news coverage. Some guy built a raft and floated out his family, cows and chickens. Everytime he told that story, the boat got bigger until he had two of every animal on it.
P
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:55 pm
Pauligirl wrote:
TheUndonePoet wrote:
farmerman,

They are not interpretations; they are completely different records from completely different records from completely different civilizations at completely different times.

The..................

from completely different floods. Most early settlements were near a water source. They tend to flood. If everything as far as the eye can see is flooded, then ya tend to think that the whole world is flooded. Especially in the days before CNN news coverage. Some guy built a raft and floated out his family, cows and chickens. Everytime he told that story, the boat got bigger until he had two of every animal on it.
P

Have you ever experienced a flood, Pauligirl?

You generally don't have time to build a raft. Laughing

Floods appear quickly and with very little warning.

But I appreciate the humor break.
0 Replies

Pauligirl

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:26 pm
real life wrote:

Have you ever experienced a flood, Pauligirl?

You generally don't have time to build a raft. Laughing

Floods appear quickly and with very little warning.

But I appreciate the humor break.

Actually, yes I have. Hurricane Floyd caused extensive flooding in NC and in places, it was slow. You can get slow floods as the ground saturates and streams fill and overflow. Took 3 days for it to creep up close to my mom's house.

"The magnitude of the flooding disaster became apparent in the hours and days after the heaviest rains passed. With no place for water to drain through saturated soils or overfilled rivers, floodwaters backed up into streets, homes, farms, businesses, and interstate highways. The waters rose quickly in some areas, more slowly in others. Many of the flood victims were taken by surprise -- some were asleep in their beds when they were awakened by the sensation of water on their backs. Others dealt with the worst flooding days after the storm when rivers finally reached their crests. Along Floyd's path and across at least a dozen Tar Heel counties, an epic flood held the entire population in its clutches."
http://www.ibiblio.org/uncpress/hurricanes/nc_floyd.html

So, depends on the source of the flooding as to whether it's fast or slow.
P
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 10:37 pm
A reasonable hypothesis for the ark mythology would be the natural tendency for cultural legends to expand over time ... the descendents of flood survivors - survivors of various floods in various places at various times - embellish upon the collective memories, drawing for themselves a picture of a past strewn with heros and legends of wondrous deeds, from whence comes all the contemporary culture's greatness, power, authority, and righteousness - a cultural cement, so to speak, a shared, even though vicarious, memory binding the society together.

And that there might be many flood legends from which to draw can be of no surprise whatsoever; civilization grew up along waterways, lakeshores, and coastlines, which is where floods, seches, and tsunamis are wont to happen.
0 Replies

TheUndonePoet

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 12:23 am
Farmerman,

Please show me specifically where I equated evolutionism to atheism.

The.......
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 04:27 am
Excellent review of Dawkins book The Selfish Gene in this weeks Spectator magazine, but its subscription only. I was so impressed I was going to type it all out for you...but fear of copyright infringement and laziness got the better of me. Here however is a flavour

Entiltled A good book and THE Good Book
by Philip Hensher

reviews The Selfish Gene (anniversary edition)
and Richard Dawkins: How a Scientist Changed the Way we think. (Grafen and Ridley)

Quote:
These days Richard Dawkins is so much a popular spokesman for enlightenment values, a voluable an unembarrassable critic of religious belief that it might be as well to remember what it was that gave him his public eminence in the the first place. Its 30 years sinc the first publication of that spledid book The Selfish Gene, now being reissued in a special edition, and one of the very surprising things about it is that in many ways it has become more controversial as time has gone on, and in ways which dont reflect at all well on the development of society.

Then to any intelligent reader, it simply seemed a statement of the truth of things; so well explained in fact, that it was almost in danger of looking like a statement of the perfectly obviou. Now of course it is still correct, and it would be a dangerous lie to pretend that cracks of any significance have appeared in Dawkins explanation of the mechanisms of evolution. Nevertheless since 1976 an increasing number of people have risen up to claim exactly tha, not all of them obviously stupid in other ways, and what must have seemed inconceivable in 1976 has come to pass. People in positions of political and intellectual authority have started to give official weight to arguments against Darwins ideas, and the value of the truth is under siege in a way which no one could have predicted.

Some recent examples. A 15 year old schoolgirl in Russia is mounting a court case to demand that creationism is taught as a part of the national biology curriculum. 44% of British adults agree that creationism should be taught 'as biology' in British schools. Indeed, at least one faith school, Emmanuel City Technology College, already does so, and in view of the rapid spread of faith schools, more may follow. Creationism is, as is well known, everywhere in American education, sometimes justified through hilarious means. A British born 'philosopher' - British-born philosophers have been comic presences throughout the whole story - has been reported as saying that if the teaching of evolution in school established atheism in American schools, it should be banned, since that would violate the constitutional separation of church and state. This fabulous piece of logic didnt seem to leave any consideration for the teaching of scientific truth.

We may laugh at such arguments as we laugh at say creationist theme parks in Kansas, but it grows harder and harder to refuse to engage as Dawkins quite rightly does, with creationism or 'intelligent design' as scientific theories. From September in English schools, biology pupils will be required to understand and discuss theories no scientist gives credence to. Jacqui Smith, the Schools Standards minister, said in a parliamentary reply that 'creationism is one of many beliefs which pupils might discuss and consider'. In reality, of course, it hardly belongs even to the history of science, let alone to science as we understand it now, and ther is no point in pretending that there is any merit in intellectual diversity in this area.

Already more extreme voices are being heard. Biology students and medical students in London have been very vocal in complaint about the fact that they are not being credited when they cite the Bible or the Koran as scientific fact. In 1976, it must have seemed that the argument is over in all essentials - but the apparent influence and confidence of voices eager to stress that it is only the 'theory' of evolution, some 30 years on, cannot have been something that Dawkins or anyone could have credited. It is only as much a theory, in reality as Newton's theory of gravity....

...What a splendid book The Selfish Gene is and remains!....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 05:19 am
undone
Quote:
farmerman,

literal. I know you probably have tons of evidence to prove that it is fabricated and that the different legends were simply passed through oral tradition from one civilization to another all over the world. If it is really that important for you to try to convert me to atheism, which requires no belief in a god and therefor will result in everyone becoming nothing after death, then write what you want.

This was your answer to me when I asked whether you believed in a mythical or a literal flood. Your response was as close to an assumption of atheism as Ive seen.my spelling is atrocious, but i try to make sure that my meaning is preserved. Apparently you do not.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 06:26 am
Pauligirl wrote:
TheUndonePoet wrote:
farmerman,

The..................

P

There is very good evidence that at the end of the last glaciation to cover Eurasia, as the ice receded, flooding joined the Black Sea and the Caspain sea, making an island of the Crimean and of the Caucasus mountains. The traditional "landing" for "Noah," is given as Mount Ararat, which is in eastern Turkey, southwest of the Caucasus.

About 4500, a pair of Aryan tribes from the Black Sea/Caspian Sea area, the Pharsa and the Meda (to the Greeks, the Persians and Medes), moved into the central Iranian Plateau. It took them more than 1500 years to push over the Zagros mountains into the valley of the Tigris and Euphrates, and it was not very long after that Tiglath Pilaser ("Pul" according the Hebrew hillbillies) carried the Jews away to captivity to build monumental structures in Babylon. That sort of levying of an entire tribe or set of tribes for a work force was not uncommon in ancient times, in the middle east or in China.

Being the largely illiterate hillbilies which they were, the Hebrews stared slack-jawed at Babylon, and culturally stared slack-jawed at The Gilgamesh Epic and a great many other cultural antecedants with which they converted Genesis from a few, ridiculous, childish stories about themselvse, into is broad and deep collection of ridiculous, childish stories about themselves.

One needn't wonder that the slack-jawed hillbillies from Palestine found the flood story compelling, and stole it, just as they stole 95% of the rest of their culture.

We may well be in store for pages and pages of completely unsupported and tedious fairy stories from RR on this topic now, so you were warned.
0 Replies