xingu

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:07 pm
Quote:
Be that as it may, consider the billions of people who have no genetic defect. Are we to assume that the complex genetic information contained in the DNA of billions of people originated not from an intelligent source, but from trial and error? Hardly likely.

Prove it. Prove that this can only be devised by ID.

You demand proof from evolutionist. Where's your science to give evidence for ID. Merely saying it can't, in your opinion, be done by trial and error is not evidence.

Show me the science that proves Creationism.

Show me the science that tells us man and dinosaur lived side by side in peace until Eve ate the apple. Show me the break in human history that was caused by the Flood. It should be significant. After all entire civilizations and cultures were wiped from the earth and the only survivors on the whole planet was one family.

How many years do you think it would take for one family to generate the number of people required to populate the entire planet (and that includes the Americas) and create large civilizations? One hundred years, five hundred years; a thousand?

According to Biblical chronology the Flood occurred about 2340 BC.

http://agards-bible-timeline.com/timeline_online.html

http://www.abiblestudy.com/part1.html

According to archaeology the Yangshao culture existed in northern China from 5,000-1,500 BC without interruption. The Longshan culture on the east coast of China lasted from 2,500 BC to 1,700 BC. How can that be if every living person was killed by your God in a great flood?

Do you think the Bible is wrong? Perhaps it exaggerated a local event?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:54 pm
xing, do us a favor, willya?

Include the name of the poster in your quotes or give us some way to find who you are responding to.

I'd be interested in knowing who made the post about billions of people with no genetic defect and where he got his idea.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:14 pm
real life wrote:
Chumly wrote:
real life wrote:
Generating a complex molecule is a far cry from producing a living organism.
I suggest you review the implications of proto life / proto virus as you know not from whence you speak.

Same problem. You seem to think that by 'lowering the bar' you have solved it, but you haven't.

Go ahead. Lay out your case for proto-life and we'll have a good time.
You made the claim "Generating a complex molecule is a far cry from producing a living organism" you back it up, and don't forget to include a definition of life.

I simply told you, "you know not from whence you speak" as per the "implications of proto life / proto virus", and so far you have not demonstrated anything to contradict my assertion.

We'll see if you wimp out just like you did on the abortion thread.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:26 pm
I believe this is relevant:

The Origin of Life On Earth; Scientific American Magazine; October 1994; by Orgel; 8 Page(s)

When the earth formed some 4.6 billion years ago, it was a lifeless, inhospitable place. A billion years later it was teeming with organisms resembling blue-green algae. How did they get there? How, in short, did life begin? This long-standing question continues to generate fascinating conjectures and ingenious experiments, many of which center on the possibility that the advent of self-replicating RNA was a critical milestone on the road to life.
Before the mid-17th century, most people believed that God had created humankind and other higher organisms and that insects, frogs and other small creatures could arise spontaneously in mud or decaying matter. For the next two centuries, those ideas were subjected to increasingly severe criticism, and in the mid-19th century two important scientific advances set the stage for modern discussions of the origin of life.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:31 pm
Yup on the money cicerone imposter, as is the premise of extra-solar or even intra-solar seeding by chance or intent.

Intra-solar given that Mars likely had accessible water.

Real life cracks me up, as he so often naively presumes my dialogue must be pivotal on overly simplistic semantics or childish lowering the bar premises. He relies so much on unsubstantiated cliched Creationist rhetoric.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:12 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
I believe this is relevant:

The Origin of Life On Earth; Scientific American Magazine; October 1994; by Orgel; 8 Page(s)

When the earth formed some 4.6 billion years ago, it was a lifeless, inhospitable place. A billion years later it was teeming with organisms resembling blue-green algae. How did they get there? How, in short, did life begin? This long-standing question continues to generate fascinating conjectures and ingenious experiments, many of which center on the possibility that the advent of self-replicating RNA was a critical milestone on the road to life.
Before the mid-17th century, most people believed that God had created humankind and other higher organisms and that insects, frogs and other small creatures could arise spontaneously in mud or decaying matter. For the next two centuries, those ideas were subjected to increasingly severe criticism, and in the mid-19th century two important scientific advances set the stage for modern discussions of the origin of life.

Hi CI,

I couldn't agree more. The conjectures are fascinating. But that's about all they are.

There are considerable problems to be addressed when postulating living organisms generating themselves out of non-living matter. The wishful thinking from those who suppose that it MUST have, is really nothing more than that because they haven't provided one sliver of proof that such a thing has EVER occurred.

Let's look at just one of many of the problems.

Picture the simplest 'living' thing imaginable (and nearly all would grant that such a simplistic thing as I'm proposing could not exist, but for the sake of argument ....) a single self replicating molecule , an xNA molecule of some simple variety, surrounding by a very simple membrane or protective layer. It can't get any simpler. One molecule, one membrane.

Now before this thing formed, what did we have? A self replicating molecule alone which has just formed.

And moments later, it is surrounded by a protective membrane. How do we suppose this happened?

(We will assume for the moment that the xNA of sufficient complexity to perform basic life functions could have formed itself. By no means is this proven in reality, but let us assume...........)

a)Did this molecule, as it was forming, already contain the code to generate a membrane around itself?

Or

b)did the membrane/protective layer do this of it's own accord?

Let us suppose that a)

the xNA had the code to generate it's protective layer. Where did the information (code) come from to form this layer? Did it just appear accidentally as the xNA formed for the first time? Information doesn't just show up, does it?

And if this xNA does not have the code to generate it's own protection, how long do we suppose it could 'survive' intact in the chemical environment that supposedly produced it without degrading?

Or let us suppose that b)

the xNA did NOT have the code to generate it's protective membrane/layer.

The membrane formed independently of the molecule and surrounded the xNA molecule of it's own accord.

How a simple membrane, (semi-permeable enough to be functional and useful in obtaining nutrients and disposing of waste while protecting it's cargo of xNA from chemical annihalation) manages to do this, of course, is another fairy tale for grownups in itself. But let us assume......

Since the xNA lacks the ability to reproduce the layer in the next 'generation', this is doomed to be a one-time phenomenon.

The xNA will replicate itself, the new molecule will have no membrane and we are going backward instead of maintaining or moving forward.

It's a classic chicken or egg question which the proponents of this marvelous spontaneous generation must answer. Which came first the molecule, or the membrane?

As I said, this is one of many such hurdles that are 'assumed out of existence' by those who insist that it MUST have happened, because they desire it to be so. Not that there is any evidence to support that it HAS happened. There's not.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:18 am
RL,
Have you ever considered spending the vast amount of time you spend trying to disprove evolution could be more productively spent trying to produce evidence for an alternate theory?
You seem to define your views by what they are 'not'
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:19 am
There are some living organisms on this planet that lives only for one 24-hour day. Some redwood trees are the longest living. Experiments are being conducted at universities now that are working to replicate how life from minerals could have evolved. Just because we don't have definitive evidence today, doesn't mean it won't tomorrow. I stand by the scientists that postulate the RNA road.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:36 am
Long before the infantile myth of Adam and Eve amoebas were in abundance, and as is well know amoebae are in a sense immortal.
The amoebae is immortal because it is halved when it multiplies, and thus, in a manner of speaking, it lives eternally.

Why didn't the amoebae befall the fate of death vis-a-vis original sin like man, who multiplies through sex, and cannot be immortal, because we do not divide. Should we perhaps consider the amoebae closer to god because of it's grasp on immortality?

:wink:
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:29 am
RL doesn't need a theory, he's got a magic book.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:36 am
It's really too bad western culture got saddled with such puritanical religions when there are others out there that are clearly a lot more fun.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:53 am
real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
SETI is the worst example real life could ever think up of. As far as I'm concerned, SETI is non-science and a waste of money.

If you'll notice Wolf, I didn't bring it up.

But tell the truth now, if SETI located transmissions of some type that were obviously not random 'noise' , would not the scientific community's assumption be that the information originated from an intelligent source?

You know they would. Simply admit it.

The scientific community in general wouldn't. You act as if the entire scientific community was one huge entity that all kowtowed to a single ideal, which is pure rubbish. Even in Christianity, there are differing views on dogma.

There would be those who would admit that the the information came from an intelligent source, but there'd be just as many that would state that it didn't.

After all, neutron stars give out "transmit" information in a non-random pattern.

The scientific community as whole would not. Individual people, specifically those who support SETI and those who work on SETI, however, would. The better scientists amongst us would say, "That is interesting, but I'm still not convinced. How can you prove that this non-random information came from an intelligent source and when will you do it?"

Finding the transmissions is one thing. Proving it is coming from an intelligent source is another. The people at SETI would need to prove that it came from an intelligent source and prove that their proof of the original proof was not spurious. Only then would the science establishment take them seriously.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:12 am
Regarding SETI: even if an intelligent source is found, it may show extra-terrestial intelligence but not supernatural intelligence.

Anyway, SETI is outside the context of biological evolution.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:13 am
Chumly wrote:
It's really too bad western culture got saddled with such puritanical religions when there are others out there that are clearly a lot more fun.

I agree. Puritanical sucks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:14 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
The scientific community in general wouldn't. You act as if the entire scientific community was one huge entity that all kowtowed to a single ideal, which is pure rubbish. Even in Christianity, there are differing views on dogma.

This is one of the key's to understanding the burroshit which "real life" peddles here. He is not at all interested in what you think. He does not care what i think, or what anyone else at this site thinks. He is interested only in pushing propaganda to the casual reader who drops by here and is sufficiently ill-informed to lend credence to a religious screed on the subject of evolution. Anyone who has a quick, sharp mind will see a question about a scientific topic in the Spirituality and Religion forum, and immediately become suspicious about the motives of the author of the thread. The more credulous might not even notice, and if they did, they might be sufficiently ill-informed to fall for the kind of claptrap "real life" is known for.

All "real life" wants to provided is a plausible argument--it needn't be sound, as long as it seems to be sound. In the fairy tale world of the religionists, it is crucial to their propaganda to portary those who do not accept a "revealed truth" scriptural explanation as being members of a monolithic movement which promotes atheism and opposes the creationist explanation because they (the alleged "evolutionists) are promoting a political agenda, the object of which is to destroy christianity.

Therefore, it is crucial that "real life" make it appear that there is a "scientific community" which is monolithic and dogmatically adherent to a single agenda. It does not matter to him that he will contradict himself when he trots out his willfully deceptive arguments about what proportion of "scientists" (his standards for identifying "scientists" are laughable) "believe" in a creation. Propaganda is never dismayed at internal contradiction, just as is the case with theology.

It is important to the peddler of religious propaganda on this topic to make it appear to be an ideological struggle between two equivalent and polar opposite groups. It does not matter that there is no universal consensus among scientists--it does not matter that there is no universal consensus among theists--what matters is the appearance of the argument "real life" presents. So long as he is confident that he can appear to bring a scientific explanation into disrepute, he will be content. He knows his target audience, and knows that they will be happy to cling to the comforting, unquestioning reliance upon theological propaganda. He is content that a religiously-oriented, ill-informed reader will find here sufficient reassurance to reject a scientific explanation, and confirm their reliance upon the fairy tales which people such as "real life" provide.

The member "real life" is a propagandists, and we are not the targets of his propaganda--he doesn't care what you think.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:31 pm
Quote:

It is important to the peddler of religious propaganda on this topic to make it appear to be an ideological struggle between two equivalent and polar opposite groups.

Bingo!
And further to make it appear that they, the religionists, are on the defensive against the evil atheo-scientific hords.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:40 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Quote:

It is important to the peddler of religious propaganda on this topic to make it appear to be an ideological struggle between two equivalent and polar opposite groups.

Bingo!
And further to make it appear that they, the religionists, are on the defensive against the evil atheo-scientific hords.
When in fact it is the reasonable, thoughtful, polite, considerate scientists and philosophers who are under attack from the militant religious crazies. But only because we have been too considerate of other people's feelings, not wishing to disturb their comfortable delusions. But things have changed in recent years. I come back to my little homily of a while back. Its time to Fight Irrational Religious Extremism, with Factual Intelligible Rational Explanation.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:49 pm
rl's grasp of chemistry apparently does not encompass surface tension, catalysis, or lipids.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:43 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Bingo!

Although to be fair, RL has never taken that line, which I respect.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:31 pm
real life wrote:
But tell the truth now, if SETI located transmissions of some type that were obviously not random 'noise' , would not the scientific community's assumption be that the information originated from an intelligent source?

You know they would. Simply admit it.
What complete inane drivel, have you never even heard of pulsars?
0 Replies