Anonymouse

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 02:59 am
talk72000 wrote:
As long as it is a theory and valid scientists should stand by it as it explains how life forms evolve just like market forces shaping corporations, unions and jobs. Phlogiston theory was discarded so will evolution theory be discarded if there is something better but the Biblical Genesis is not it.

Something better?

That implies there is a tinge of faith in this.

People once believed in Newtonian physics. When something better came along they started believing in that.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 04:03 am
Nobody is talking about believing nor faith. We accept the theories as they accurately describe the phenomenon. Keep your beliefs and faith in your religion and out of science.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 04:06 am
Science is a procedure to explain a phenomenon or natural occurence not a social club.
0 Replies

Anonymouse

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 04:36 am
talk72000 wrote:
Nobody is talking about believing nor faith. We accept the theories as they accurately describe the phenomenon. Keep your beliefs and faith in your religion and out of science.

You assume I am a follower of religion. Why?
0 Replies

Anonymouse

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 04:37 am
talk72000 wrote:
Science is a procedure to explain a phenomenon or natural occurence not a social club.

Science means knowledge. What sort of knowledge are you referring to? When has it ever observed a single celled organism turn into a whale?
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 05:31 am
You are discussing magic and not science. Teach it in your religion not in science.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 10:19 am
Anonymouse wrote:
Science means knowledge. What sort of knowledge are you referring to? When has it ever observed a single celled organism turn into a whale?

What Science has observed leads inexorably to the deductive conclusion that no other explanation makes sense.

Anonymouse wrote:
People once believed in Newtonian physics. When something better came along they started believing in that.

It is a typically erroneous ID-iot assumption that Newtonian Physics has been replaced. You'll not get far in Capital "S" Science without Euclidian Geometry and Newtonian Physics; they explain why Quantum Theory works, and vice-versa. The 2 paradigms are not contradictory, they are symbiotic and interdependent. This is amply demonstrated Via a Feynman Graph, and computationally confirmed through Taylor & Wiles's Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. David Raymond's entry-level college physics textbook A Radically Modern Approach to Introductory Physics essentially is a discussion of the relationship between Newtonian and post-Newtonian mechanics. In the preface to that extremely accessible and engaging work, Raymond observes:
Quote:
... students don't go into physics to learn about balls rolling down inclined planes -- they are (rightly) interested in quarks and black holes and quantum computing, and at this stage they are largely unable to make the connection between such mundane topics and the exciting things that they have read about in popular books and magazines.

ID-iots base their argument for That Which They Would Prefer To Be soley on That Which Is Not.

Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another.
Juvenal
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:11 am
I can't believe I've been with this never ending thread since page 145
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:50 am
neo, The question for you is, have you learned anything?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 11:56 am
Here's a little holiday debate I had with my younger brother at his daughter's home yesterday. He still continues to claim that scientists have proven that a world flood occured as stated in the bible. I asked him to name the scientist, and he couldn't name one, but claimed he is also a christian. He couldn't see the contradiction.

He claims the reason all of us did so well was because our mother prayed for us when we were children. He mentioned the fact that we were one of the poorest families from our neighborhood when we werre children,but as a family have been successful in our accomplishments - based on mother's prayers.

He continues to believe in his religion, and believes there's a better life after we die.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, The question for you is, have you learned anything?
Several things:

Most importantly, the incredible plurality of folks who do not believe in free will.

Most posters do not carefully read the answers or objections to their posts and, consequently, never learn anything.

I continue to post for the benefit of those who are reading and, perhaps, are too timid to state their opinions. Er, and occasionally to vent my desire for undisciplined humor.

Joe Sixpack would have a never ending party if he were ever to post his address. Laughing

Have a safe holiday!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:22 pm
c. i. Dont spoil it for him. After all, its neither your nor my duty to impose our worldview on others, otherwise wed be no different than the crewtionists. If people cant understand the science and "run their hands" over the evidence and still dont see the bazullions of intermediate fossils , or understand the economy of DNA throughout the animal kingdom, thats no skin off our noses.

Many people need a warm and fuzzy feeling about their lives based on "some astrophysical Creator". Thats their choice.
The only rule Ive set is that "nobody get me going about anti-evolution in my house.PERIOD"
As far as the "worldwide flood" He may be misquoting the work by Walter Pittman et al who showed that a localized flood in the Caspian Sea and the Black Sea areas in the post Pleistocene times , gave rise to the legend of the flood. Theres always a major flood or inundation by sea level rise as a result of glaciers melting in some geologic age at some time in the Pleio/Plesitocene. But nowhere is there any evidence of a worldwide flood occuring at the same time, such as to inundate the planet. There simply is no evidence. Its bad enought that 75% of the planet is covered by water now, whenever a glacial maximum occurs the amount of ocean area drops to about 55%to 60% (There are computer programs that can take the size of the glacier, its measured thickness (due to rates of isostatic rebound) and then it cranks out how far down the water level was drawn off the oceans (since the rivers and the northern oceans freeze). Then itll compute the approximate size of the exposed land based upon (heres the weak part) assumed elevations at the time of the event.

Stuff like that couldnt even be attempted 20 years ago, but today, grad students are doing it for class reports
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:26 pm
neio, Most of us that considered religion or non-religion for our life have come to the conclusion from personal experience that is fixed for the duration.

What I have learned from these discussions are the overwhelming evidence that the religion based on the bible has too many flaws.

Once faith in any religion is established in any individual, it's almost impossible to change their perception about god (and the bible) no matter what evidence is provided. I observe that in my own siblings and friends.

Where I draw the line is when they support discrimination against any other groups; I have no tolerance or patience for gender, racial or homophobic bigots.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 12:52 pm
CeIo, Smile I have always appreciated the sincerity of your posts.

In fact, the only disagreement I have with most non-believers is their constant reliance on straw man arguments to disprove the bible.

There seems (to me, at least) a number of reasons not to believe in God. Check out some of Doktor S's posts, to see what I mean.

But those whose mind becomes stagnated over perceived inconsistencies in the bible are missing a huge picture.
0 Replies

Anonymouse

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 02:24 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:

What Science has observed leads inexorably to the deductive conclusion that no other explanation makes sense.

I have no problem with science when it behaves like science. Science is about knowledge. What the scientific method imparts on us is the ability to make a claim, to observe and repeat that, which many parts of Darwinian evolution fall short on. Of course, there is a bit of induction which you forgot.

Basic metaphysical or philosophical assumptions are necessary in any thing, because conclusions cannot be made until you have something to make them with. Everybody makes a few metaphyisical or philosophical assumptions, even modern science, the two of which are induction and causality as demonstrated by Hume, and in the words of Bertrand Russell, require nothing more than 'blind faith'.

timberlandko wrote:
Anonymouse wrote:

It is a typically erroneous ID-iot assumption that Newtonian Physics has been replaced. You'll not get far in Capital "S" Science without Euclidian Geometry and Newtonian Physics; they explain why Quantum Theory works, and vice-versa. The 2 paradigms are not contradictory, they are symbiotic and interdependent. This is amply demonstrated Via a Feynman Graph, and computationally confirmed through Taylor & Wiles's Proof of Fermat's Last Theorem. David Raymond's entry-level college physics textbook A Radically Modern Approach to Introductory Physics essentially is a discussion of the relationship between Newtonian and post-Newtonian mechanics. In the preface to that extremely accessible and engaging work, Raymond observes:
Quote:
... students don't go into physics to learn about balls rolling down inclined planes -- they are (rightly) interested in quarks and black holes and quantum computing, and at this stage they are largely unable to make the connection between such mundane topics and the exciting things that they have read about in popular books and magazines.

You seem to miss the nature of my criticism and instead resort to the typical clash of Manichaean assumptions that if someone is not with your ideological camp, they must ipso facto be of the opposing camp. I don't understand the need for personal attacks, unless of course criticism of your beloved dogma is uncomfortable and gives one a crack in their edifice of thought.

Science, before it can be used as a workable model, must first be accepted as somehow valid, in order to be used as a conveyor of knowledge. Science, or what science is, i.e. knowledge, has changed throughout time. Conceptual models have been created and destroyed, and yesterdays knowledge is today's heresy. All knowledge is societies psychological perception of itself. That which we learn, we must first put faith in. We trust in the cirriculum, content, and criteria of certain forms of acquiring knowledge, without which we would not have what we deem to be truth. In order for something to work as a tool of knowledge, i.e. the scientific method, it must first be accepted as valid, in other words, you must first put trust and faith and accept it blindly, before you can use it as such. You cannot use science, or the scientific method, to prove exactly that - the scientific method.

The number system is a perfect example. For any of it to be valid, it must first be believed and accepted. Everyone believes that the notational system which we use is the official one. Why is the conceptual idea of one written as 1? Why could it not be another symbol? Why is two written as 2? It must first be agreed upon, and trusted, for it to be disseminated as knowledge. The same applies to the criteria science uses in order to learn about the natural world. There must first be faith in what it uses, otherwise it would not work.

That at point Euclids geometry reigned supreme, and at another it was Newton's physics which was seen as the dominant interpretation of truth, is not absolved by the fact that they can be viewed as an amalgamation of knowledge acquisition. When you speak of quarks or wave functions, and energy, people often think that somehow these are equivalent to everyday objects that are observable such as trees, stones, or oceans. The difference between them is that a change in a scientific model is the difference between real and invented concepts. Changes in a scientific model can absolve a black hole or a quark as a conceptual entity, but they cannot rid the everyday and observable objects such as trees, cliffs or oceans.

timberlandko wrote:
ID-iots base their argument for That Which They Would Prefer To Be soley on That Which Is Not.

Never does nature say one thing and wisdom another.
Juvenal

Ad hominems are a fallacy. Try to avoid them.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 02:52 pm
I submit, Anonymouse, that I have engaged in no ad hominem attack, for I direct my approbation and ridicule to an argument, tenet, proposition and/or philosophy in general, without specific individual personal attribution of any sort, whereas in your emotional defense of the proposition you champion you have done so specifically with your statements to me:
Anonymouse wrote:
... Of course, there is a bit of induction which you forgot ... You seem to miss the nature of my criticism and instead resort to the typical clash of Manichaean assumptions that if someone is not with your ideological camp, they must ipso facto be of the opposing camp. I don't understand the need for personal attacks, unless of course criticism of your beloved dogma is uncomfortable and gives one a crack in their edifice of thought ... Ad hominems are a fallacy. Try to avoid them.

You are welcome to include yourself or exclude yourself reference the adherents to and supporters of the designated proposition as you find fitting in your own individual case and circumstance.

Indeed, " ... Ad hominems are a fallacy. Try to avoid them." is good advice. Also useful in forensics is knowing how to recognize and determine what constitutes such fallacies.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:14 pm
timberlandko wrote:
I submit, Anonymouse, that I have engaged in no ad hominem attack, for I direct my approbation and ridicule to an argument, tenet, proposition and/or philosophy in general, without specific individual personal attribution of any sort

Hmm ...

You were quoted above as saying the following:

Quote:
It is a typically erroneous ID-iot assumption that Newtonian Physics has been replaced.

Is not an ID-iot a member of the group of individuals who hold to ID as a viable scientific theory? If so, then you are ridiculing specific individuals of the group by virtue of their membership in that group.

I do agree, however, that you did not commit an Ad Hominem (at least in the quote attributed to you), as you explained your position without basing it upon what this group of people do or do not know.

You were rude, but not fallacious Wink

I
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
Implicator wrote:
Is not an ID-iot a member of the group of individuals who hold to ID as a viable scientific theory?

Certainly
Quote:
... If so, then you are ridiculing specific individuals of the group by virtue of their membership in that group.

Nonsense - no specific individual is referenced. Whether one wishes to assume affinity with the designated group or not is a personal matter; that the proposition foundational to the group - thus meriting the proposition, and by extension its adherants and champions the pejorative appelation - is per se idiotic is self evident to any possesed of the skill of critical thought.

Quote:
... I do agree, however, that you did not commit an Ad Hominem (at least in the quote attributed to you), as you explained your position without basing it upon what this group of people do or do not know.

I

I submit that while generally I am blunt, and not much given to political correctness, I am not rude. Abrasive perhaps, but not rude.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:43 pm
timberlandko wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Is not an ID-iot a member of the group of individuals who hold to ID as a viable scientific theory?

Certainly

timberlandko wrote:
Quote:
... If so, then you are ridiculing specific individuals of the group by virtue of their membership in that group.

Nonsense - no specific individual is referenced. Whether one wishes to assume affinity with the designated group or not is a personal matter; that the proposition foundational to the group - thus meriting the proposition, and by extension its adherents and champions the pejorative appellation - is per se idiotic is self evident to any possessed of the skill of critical thought.

Whether one wishes to assume affinity with the group is irrelevant to my point. The group exists only because it has individual members - members which share a certain set of beliefs about origins. Comments made about that group apply to all members of that group specifically because a group is comprised of individuals. The notion of a group sans members is meaningless.

timberlandko wrote:
Implicator wrote:
... I do agree, however, that you did not commit an Ad Hominem (at least in the quote attributed to you), as you explained your position without basing it upon what this group of people do or do not know.

I submit that while generally I am blunt, and not much given to political correctness, I am not rude. Abrasive perhaps, but not rude.

By the following definition of rude, I stick to my original assertion:

Abruptly and unpleasantly forceful

I
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 26 Dec, 2005 03:55 pm
Unpleasant is in the eye of the beholder. If one finds the shoe does not fit, one may blame no-one but oneself for discomfort incurred through forcing one's foot into it.
0 Replies