El-Diablo

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:29 pm
Real you don't seem to get it.

There is evidence and logic in evolution. This is not the case in most religions. It does not take incredible faith as you paint it so. Those who believe in evolution (at least me in this case) do not do so because we put faith in it but because we have seen WHY it is an established theory and accept it. Don't pull anymore bullshit by reducing evolution into a faith-driven thing or as a process in which we have found no evidence for.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:38 pm
Hi El-Diablo, It seems religious people for some unknown reason lose their ability to observe science for what it is - no matter how many ways it proves evolution. Their inability to grasp the scientific method is even more mysterious. It seems in order to accept their religion, they turn off their common sense and logic switch. What is so dumbfounding is the fact that their intelligence level seems to be above average in every way except when it comes to science and evolution.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:45 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
thunder_runner32 wrote:
Rosborne, why do you have such a problem with creationists objecting to evolutionist conclusions?

Before I can respect anyone's objection to something, I have to see that they understand the thing they are objecting to. And quite frankly, the objections being posed by creationsts are so off base that they demonstrate a profound misunderstanding of the very thing they are objecting to.

How can I be expected to take an objection seriously if the person making the objection repeatedly misrepresents the basic tenets of Evolution.

RL's "tornado" challenge is a good example. Anyone who would make such an analogy either doesn't know what they are talking about, or are intentionally trying to mislead others who don't understand the theory. How can I have respect for someone (or an objection) like that.

Hi Rosborne,

Please, let's not kid ourselves. Assembly and continual refinement and improvement of extremely complex organisms by random forces is exactly what we are supposed to believe, isn't it?

I can understand why many Evolution 'purists' don't like bringing Abiogenesis into the picture because it's so laughable. But the theories are like peas of a pod. They rely upon the same driver, Blind Chance; they share the same fatal scientific weakness, Unobservability; and they are sold to the public and to school kids in one package.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:14 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Real you don't seem to get it.

There is evidence and logic in evolution. This is not the case in most religions. It does not take incredible faith as you paint it so. Those who believe in evolution (at least me in this case) do not do so because we put faith in it but because we have seen WHY it is an established theory and accept it. Don't pull anymore bullshit by reducing evolution into a faith-driven thing or as a process in which we have found no evidence for.

Hi ED,

Yeah I "get it" alright. And I have no problem that you choose to accept evolutionary theory. Really. I have LOTS of friends who believe in evolution. Doesn't mean that I have to though, does it?

What I have said, or tried to say, is that the TYPE of evidence that evolution relies on is the SAME TYPE of evidence that creation relies on. It is circumstantial and inferential. It can be understood and interpreted in more than one way.

It is not direct evidence in the sense that evolution cannot be observed. No one has ever, nor likely will ever see one creature change into another creature, no matter what length of time you postulate this happening over.

While you may not like the idea that evolution is a faith of sorts, if you will step back and get some perspective, you might agree that it is. Sorry if that bugs you, it's just the way I see it.

Evolutionists continue to insist that the theory itself (the conclusion) MUST be so, even if they don't know or agree on major portions of the story, or even have little or no evidence of critical junctures. Conflicting evidence is often ignored.

Farmerman hates creationists who "quote mine". What seems to upset him is some of those candid moments when prominent evolutionists admit that the evidence is scarce, shaky or nonexistent for parts of their theory, but they believe it anyway.

I find that type of frankness rather refreshing, even though it seems to be kinda rare.

Farmerman once asked me if there was ANY evidence or data of any kind that would cause me to believe in evolution; and I, of course, responded affirmatively. (Go back and read it if you don't believe me.)

I'll ask you the reverse. Is there ANY evidence or data that would make you question the validity of evolution or abandon it altogether?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"How ya been tonight?" Well, actually, I watched a program on t.v. for a change, and enjoyed it. It was about saving a Chinese CIA agent with some secrets that has great value to us. Fun! I don't watch t.v. often. Wink

Ha, me too. I'm known in our house as the guy who turns the TV off.

But it does sound like you found an interesting one. What's it called?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 09:19 pm
farmerman does not "hate" creationists. He disagrees with the "belief system" that equates ID to evolution.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:21 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
farmerman does not "hate" creationists. He disagrees with the "belief system" that equates ID to evolution.

Yes, this is meant in a relative sense. FM seems like a good all round guy, regardless of differences in belief system, who would be a blast at a party (probably a particularly engaging and humorous storyteller and could probably keep an audience easily with stories of his travels). No offense meant.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:21 am
real life
Quote:
What seems to upset him is some of those candid moments when prominent evolutionists admit that the evidence is scarce, shaky or nonexistent for parts of their theory, but they believe it anyway.

Quote mining has always been a purposeful "out of context" methodology in which what "appear" to be embarrassing revelations are actually an incomplete quotation in which the entire thought that the scientist proposes arelost and are made to sound just the opposite.
Famous examples include Stephen Gould and Eldredges comment on apparently "missing" fossils are used to support their own theory. The very quote which is always brutally manhandled has additional sections that state that Punctuated Equilibrium is only a mechanism because there are many sequential strata with numerous intermediate fossils.
Another means is to artificially connect a number of propositions that , in the entirety, are claptrap, Even though there may be a minor nugget of fact hidden in their thought. An example is one of real lifes recent posts

Quote:
Please, let's not kid ourselves. Assembly and continual refinement and improvement of extremely complex organisms by random forces is exactly what we are supposed to believe, isn't it?

"Improvement of extremely complex organisms" is an example of garbage thinking. Mollusca and trilobita evolved into more simple forms with "budding off" of entire orders in which more varieties were added into the mix. Evolution favors more generalized forms and those families with numerous genii or species.

"By random forces" In most cases, evolution is merely adaptation to changes in the environment. Bursts of evolution tied to major tectonic events are most common. No magic needed.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:29 am
The one comment that real life made that was correct was that our evidence is primarily circumstantial. We do draw conclusions and try to develop a synthesis from thee evidence.

The point that he missed was that the evidence comes at us from so many directions that its not difficult to achieve a logical conclusion. geophys, geochem and geochronology, magnetics, stratigraphy, DNA evidence showing when clades had most realistically bifurcated, etc.
Creationists, trying to utilize these data have failed miserably. They always have to make up some "divine intervention" or make some rather ridiculous conclusion that has no basis in any of the support sciences.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:34 am
real life wrote:
I can understand why many Evolution 'purists' don't like bringing Abiogenesis into the picture because it's so laughable. But the theories are like peas of a pod. They rely upon the same driver, Blind Chance; they share the same fatal scientific weakness, Unobservability; and they are sold to the public and to school kids in one package.

Evolution is not based on blind chance because natural selection is involved, unobservability is not a scientific weakness because it's not required, your analogies are a sham, your statements are incorrect, you forget what you've just been told, you misinterpret and avoid the issues and your rhetoric is getting older and more tedious by the minute.

You on the other hand present nothing. All you do is try to pick apart evolution and science with the same old cliche arguments which have been answered many many times before.

Don't you have any new tricks to show us?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:53 am
I may have been at the fair; but I've been reading.
cicerone imposter wrote:
real life, As there are many priests who cannot be trusted, there are also scientists who cannot be trusted. You can't discredit evolution on the basis of one book or one scientist - or several. You must learn to evaluate what is true science and what is bogus science. They are all part of our lives, and we must learn to separate the wheat from the chaf. Some people may call themselves "christians," but you know as well as everyone that not all who claim to be christians are christians. If you don't understand these simple concepts, you have much larger problems of understand the world in which we live.
Profound.
cicerone imposter wrote:
wand, I hate to say it, but religious people turn off their brains when it's a challenge between religion and everything else. That's the reality.
Not profound.
cicerone imposter wrote:
. . . The biggest concern for the scientists are the protection of Tennessee's cave creatures by protecting the cave ecosystems. . . ?
Creatures, eh?
wandeljw wrote:
thunder,

You are honest in describing these as "ministries". However, there are religious people who see intelligent design not only as bad science but also as bad religion.
True; though not without controversy.
cicerone imposter wrote:
wand, Now, if you can only spread that message to all the religious people on this planet. I know; it can't be done, and never will be. My guesstimate is that over 50 percent of religious people have religion confused with science.
True; but when they both reach different conclusions, only one can be correct.
cicerone imposter wrote:
farmerman, I'm root'n for you, but the IDers are large in number and influence. We now have a president that wants ID to be taught along side evolution.
In the finality, it is the parents' responsibility to educate their children. If they find the public schools deficient, they need to supply what is missing. I can scarcely count the many times I have had to correct a teacher's spelling or grammar.
cicerone imposter wrote:
"...unambiguous evidence..." ROFLMAO It's evident that t.r. learns about evolution from the same source as real.
BUUURRP!!!
farmerman wrote:
The one comment that real life made that was correct was that our evidence is primarily circumstantial. We do draw conclusions and try to develop a synthesis from thee evidence. . .
Uh Huh!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 10:02 am
neo, Don't forget; many trials can use only circumstantial evidence to support the innocence or guilt of the defendant, because there were no eye-witness. Circumstantial evidence can be over-whelming to the point that most can be accepted as factual. ** I was a jury member in a rape-murder trial many years ago (for three months in Santa Clara County, CA). The defendant is now spending his life in prison without the possibility of parole, because we found him to be guilty of the crimes. Finally, each person must determine the credibility of information we have available, and in this endeavor, it behooves the observer to have some skills in balancing the available information against the rhetoric of some people that do not have knowledge about the subject. In this regards, common sense and logic are good tools.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, Don't forget; many trials can use only circumstantial evidence to support the innocence or guilt of the defendant, because there were no eye-witness. Circumstantial evidence can be over-whelming to the point that most can be accepted as factual. ** I was a jury member in a rape-murder trial many years ago (for three months in Santa Clara County, CA). The defendant is now spending his life in prison without the possibility of parole, because we found him to be guilty of the crimes. Finally, each person must determine the credibility of information we have available, and in this endeavor, it behooves the observer to have some skills in balancing the available information against the rhetoric of some people that do not have knowledge about the subject. In this regards, common sense and logic are good tools.
My point, exactly.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 04:22 am
Some satire although I suspect there are some who are ignorant enough to believe this.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20051010/comix

http://www.thenation.com/images/comixnation/bors_textbooks.jpg
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:41 am
Hi Xing,

Since you brought up the global warming hypothesis, I wondered had you heard about Martian warming?

Must be all those exploration vehicles we sent up there burning fossils fuels, eh?

http://www.hindustantimes.com/news/181_1496036,00040005.htm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200509/s1464806.htm
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 07:50 am
Earthquakes on Mars; God's practice site.

Mars warming; God is sending so many souls to Hell that he has run out of room. Mars is the overflow.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 11:33 am
"Mars is the overflow." ROFLMAO
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
given how hellish the earth can sometimes be, one may think that ....
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:42 pm
Cicerone Imposter Wrote:

Quote:
Hi El-Diablo, It seems religious people for some unknown reason lose their ability to observe science for what it is - no matter how many ways it proves evolution. Their inability to grasp the scientific method is even more mysterious. It seems in order to accept their religion, they turn off their common sense and logic switch. What is so dumbfounding is the fact that their intelligence level seems to be above average in every way except when it comes to science and evolution.

C.I., I just would like to ask you something. What makes you so insightful that you can decide this is the case for 'religious people?' Just because you feel something is proven to you, does that mean it is the truth? And creationists do not disregard science. We know perfectly well how scientifically a child comes to be. What we do understand is that the miracle of the science comes from God and not man.

And we 'religious people' could probably ask you the same thing....What is so dumgounding is the fact that their intelligence level seems to be above average in every way except when it comes to faith and God. I have offered you proof of God's existence and so have others. You have not accepted that proof. That does not equate to THERE IS NO PROOF (capitalized for emphasis only).
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 02:55 pm
Momma Angel wrote:

Just because you feel something is proven to you, does that mean it is the truth?

exactly the question i wanted to ask creationalists !!

Momma Angel wrote:
What we do understand is that the miracle of the science comes from God and not man.

a fundamental difference between the truely scientific and the er.. religiously immersed, is that the former do not consider science to be a miracle. infact they consider science and miracles to be mutually exclusive. something is science or a "miracle".

Momma Angel wrote:
I have offered you proof of God's existence and so have others.

what are those proofs??

that the planets orbit the sun??
that babies are born??
that internet exists??

as an aside, i think its quite a miracle, the way the Enuma Elish has been shunted out of the equation... or maybe that was science Wink
0 Replies