Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:10 am
well said danielle

(it was worth reading 3 times Smile)

You clearly have an understanding of the scientific method. Its slow and difficult and HARD and can be full of disappointments, but it is the ONLY way forward. And we have made astonishing progress.

I read something by Carl Sagan this morning from his book The Demon Haunted World - Science as a candle in the Dark

"The method of science, as stodgy and grumpy as it may seem, is far more important than the findings of science".
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:22 am
real life said
Quote:
'most all (Farmerman's characterization of the distribution)' of the differences in the genes of these two species be concentrated in a given area or few areas?

Why would they not be fairly evenly distributed among all the genes in a random fashion?

Pattern obviates randomness. I dont think I have to explain definitions do I?

In science, we always say "the data is what the data is" we do not try to ascribe a theistic grand "why is it this way?". We attempt to understand what the data shows us without any preconceived notions.
My point was intended to edify your incorrect assumption about the apparent "great amount" of mutations that are recorded in the chimp/human genomes. A single mutation can involve a single error in a single protein that involves ahundred thousand or more base pairs.

A discussion ofNPR the other night had a few University teachers up against reps of the Discovery Institute. Quite interesting, A line made by a teacher from Penn was
"I dont want my students to beleive in evolution, I want them to understand it"
Welcome aboard daniellejean. May I ask what texts youre using in class?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
farmerman wrote:
Thats pretty much waht happened with NIle Cichlid fish (perch like fish) They were trapped by the spreading center in the Rift Valley and were isolated into lakes , each with its own unique species (and some new genuses ) of cichlids.
The thoughts were that cichlids, being isolated and pretty much alone, began to capture many niches from meat eaters to algae eaters , some nocturnal, others living deep, etc. It was the Galapogos finches all over except here we knew , geologically, when the lakes ripped from the Nile. So the Nile cichlids and the new genuses and species of lake cichlids all became isolated and began evolving into unique forms etc.

The mosquitos of Greece were the same way, in the 50's, these Anapholes mosquitoes, all malaria carriers, were sprayed with DDT. Within 4 or 5 years , they became immune to DDT. This ws seen in their genome.
Creationists dont want to understand the mechanisms of speciation so they argue that this is merely "variation within a kind" yet they fail to define the word "kind", or come up with any mechanisms to account for genus and higher taxa.
Thanks, farmer. But I keep getting tangled in this 'what's in a word' conundrum. Tell me where I am going astray:

Repetitive or drastic adaptation may result in speciation within a genus.(?)

The origin of a new genus may also result from repetitive or drastic adaptation.(?) Is there a word used to describe this process?

A dog is a dog. Are they all of the same genus?

If you feel the explanation is too lengthy for this discussion, please provide a link.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:01 am
neologist said
Quote:
Repetitive or drastic adaptation may result in speciation within a genus.(?)

Im at a loss to understand what the question is. What is "repetitive or drastic adaptation"?
0 Replies

daniellejean

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:02 am
For the first part of the class we are using Steve Jones Darwin's Ghost, which is a rewriting of The Origin of Species that gives relevance to modern genetics. After we move past the basic definitions of what evolution is and into specifics of Human Evolution, we are reading a book called, Human Natures: Genes, Cultures, and the Human Prospect bu Paul R. Ehrlich. We also are reading portions of a book by Sy Montgomery, which is now out of print, called Search for the Golden Moon Bear. We can only read portions because it is out of print and the science department has about 50 copies in total, and other people in the department want to use them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:05 am
farmerman, As you well know by now, neologist can only create new phraseology for science that doesn't exist to defend his stance of creationism. It's a wonder that he can show such intelligence, but lacks the ability to accept evolution with its track record of evidence.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:07 am
wow ehrlich, I had his 4th ed in the 70's. I wondered whether Watsons DNA book was assigned reading for the genomics portion.
Are you at Orono? any dealings with the geology dept?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:30 am
farmerman wrote:
real life said
Quote:
'most all (Farmerman's characterization of the distribution)' of the differences in the genes of these two species be concentrated in a given area or few areas?

Why would they not be fairly evenly distributed among all the genes in a random fashion?

Pattern obviates randomness. I dont think I have to explain definitions do I?

In science, we always say "the data is what the data is" we do not try to ascribe a theistic grand "why is it this way?".

To put it another way, if I spun around in your living room and threw 40,000, pennies in the air (randomness), would they all end up in one corner (or even in just a few piles)? Would they not rather be spread all over the place?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:32 am
real life, Even a novice like me understands the difference between physical science (probability) and evolution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:33 am
So, what's your point?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:37 am
djbt wrote:
real life wrote:
djbt wrote:
real life wrote:
Here, you can try to start with the easy question that I just asked Farmerman: If mutations that supposedly cause Evolution are simply random occurrences due to sheer blind chance, then why would 'most all (Farmerman's characterization of the distribution)' of the differences in the genes of these two species be concentrated in a given area or few areas?

Well, I'm really no expert, but until farmerman arrives, my first guess would be that mutations did occur in all areas of the genome, but in most the impact of the mutation was negative, only in certain areas was mutation positive (perhaps because in those areas mutation resulted in very small phenotypic effects - which are more likely to be positive, than large ones).

I believe you are correct, DJBT, when you say that most mutations are thought to be harmful rather than helpful. Another odd reason why evolutionists tend to place mutation as the cause of a rise from amoeba to man in a rather limited time frame.

However, whether the effect of the mutation was positive, negative or neutral -- the mutation would still be "THERE"; that is, it would be in evidence wherever it occurred.

I'm finding it difficult to believe that you really have so little understanding of evolution that you could say this. It's equivalent to thinking that the theory of gravity makes rocks fly up away from the earth...

Just in case this was genuine, and not a rhetorical trick; a negative mutation wouldn't be still "there", because, obviously, the organism that was cursed with it would have likely died (or, more likely, never lived), and therefore not passed it on.

Conversely, an organism with a beneficial mutation would thrive, and reproduce, and so that new gene would spread.

(By the way, mutation is just one small factor, change in allene frequencies is central).

Not all 'negative' mutations are fatal are they? There are people living with illnesses , some likely genetic in their origin, but they do not immediately die from it. Many live long lives and have many generations born after them. (and they didn't fail to be born as a result either.) It would seem that quite a few mutations with negative impact could still be passed on.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 08:45 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
So, what's your point?

Of course I got in a hurry and said 40,000 instead of 40,000,000. DOH. Maybe I need a cof of cuppee. Laughing

My point is simply that there are said to be 40,000,000 differences between the human genome and that of the chimp (supposedly man's nearest living 'relative' on the evolutionary tree).

Farmerman admonished me to remember that 'most all' of these are in the regulator genes.

My question is , if genetic changes/mutations occur RANDOMLY in the evolutionary scheme of things, then why are not these 40,000,000 differences distributed in a relatively random fashion? How is it that they seem to be concentrated , according to FM, mostly in a small area or few areas?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:11 am
daniellejean wrote:
I agree cicerone. I have one more thing to add to my last post. Adaptation is the basis for evolution. You cannot have evolution without Natural Selection. Natural Selection is random mutation, and the successful mutations become what we know as adaptations. Just some changes over billions of years are larger than those we see over the past twenty. The adaptations that occurred over the past twenty with HIV are not obviously creating a new species (though, HIV is a virus and is thereby sub-living, that is, it needs a host). But the same changes have occurred between Astralopithucus and Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens, and also between certain land mamals and whales. It is the process of adaptation that fuels evolution, real life. That's a basic tennet of the theory.

Hi Daniellejean,

It is an inference that "the same changes have occurred between Astralopithucus and Homo Erectus and Homo Sapiens, and also between certain land mamals and whales".

Adaptation of a creature to it's environment is light years from the creature becoming a different creature altogether. It is an assumption that adaptation would continue indefinitely and form a new creature.

To put it this way: If I start pumping iron, I can successively get stronger , lifting 10 pounds more, 20 pounds more, 50 pounds more, etc. Can I assume that with enough time and effort I can lift 1,000,000 pounds more?

While the changes in my ability obviously aren't genetically based, the illustration is a decent one and poses a question: Are there limits to a creatures ability (genetically and otherwise) to change and adapt?

Evolution assumes that there are not limits. And uses inferences to try to demonstrate that one creature can and has become another completely different creature (over a period of time).

Some evolutionists, at least, are candid enough to admit that the phylogenetic storyboards that they present are inferential. (ED posted a link from one such). Many instead, unfortunately, are rather dogmatic in their belief in evolution.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:20 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
farmerman, As you well know by now, neologist can only create new phraseology for science that doesn't exist to defend his stance of creationism. It's a wonder that he can show such intelligence, but lacks the ability to accept evolution with its track record of evidence.

Hi CI,

Since terms such as 'species' , 'genus', etc are all 'created phraseology' based on someone's inference, are you honest enough to admit that any postulated 'family tree' that has one creature deriving from another is completely subjective?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:35 am
real life,

I do not understand why you are making analogies like scattering coins and pumping iron. The time frame in those activities are drastically shorter than the millions of years involved in evolution.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 09:41 am
wand, real likes to spin coins and numbers rather than the evidence provided by evolutionary science.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:07 am
wandeljw wrote:
real life,

I do not understand why you are making analogies like scattering coins and pumping iron. The time frame in those activities are drastically shorter than the millions of years involved in evolution.

What would the difference be if I scattered the coins over the course of a million years or an afternoon? They should demonstrate a somewhat random distribution pattern, shouldn't they?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:26 am
djbt wrote:
(By the way, mutation is just one small factor, change in allene frequencies is central).

That point bears repeating: "mutation is just one small factor, change in allele frequencies is central".

Too many people still think that mutation is necessary for change. Mutation is necessary for the whole process to have started, and it was more important back when the gene pool was small. However, now that the gene pool is so large and contains so much variation to work with, evolution can occur without much mutation at all. Again, this was covered in at least two other posts on the science forum.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:29 am
real life, When will you begin to understand that there's a world of difference between coin throwing and evolution?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:31 am
rosborne979 wrote:
djbt wrote:

That point bears repeating: "mutation is just one small factor, change in allele frequencies is central".

Too many people still think that mutation is necessary for change. Mutation is necessary for the whole process to have started, and it was more important back when the gene pool was small. However, now that the gene pool is so large and contains so much variation to work with, evolution can occur without much mutation at all. Again, this was covered in at least two other posts on the science forum.

Here we go in a circle.......And what regulates allene frequency?
0 Replies