Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:18 am
real life wrote:
El-Diablo wrote:
Quote:
How DARE I.... question ANYTHING.......EVER !! Especially if you say it ! Eeek!

Just because I doubt the validity of claiming that a group of people who have SURVIVED a flood would make up a story about themselves NOT SURVIVING a flood, yep I'm a baaaaaaaad guy.

You've dumbed the word down. He didnt say "question" he said "ridicule". The difference being when you ridicule something you really don't care if there's an answer or if it's given you will continue believing what you want.

Your assumption seems to be if someone gives me an answer that they believe to be correct, then that should end all further discussion, inquiry, thought, dissent or curiosity. Sorry I kinda outgrew that type of passivity in about the 3rd grade.

No, no, that's not the point. The point is, that you have been given an answer that is far more scientifically valid than a world-wide flood, therefore that particular answer is more true than the world-wide flood.

Quote:
Think of all the scientists who would never have done their work if they had stopped and passively accepted, "Scientists agree that........"

Yes, but most of these scientists do their work when there is enough doubt to warrant trying something different and thinking down a different route. There isn't enough doubt with plate tectonics and geology to warrant trying to find a different theory.

The most doubt is within the biological aspects, and even then, it's more of a "do mutations accumulate, are suppressed and only expressed when a disaster forces them to evolve" or a "do they mutate and evolve slowly over time" question?

You're attacking the part of evolution where there is the least number of models.

In the biological side, we have a few models.

1. "Mutations accumulate over time, but are suppressed. They are only expressed when a disaster forces the organisms to adapt".
2. "Mutations occur over time, selected for natural selection over time, causing gradual evolution over time."

You may say, "Ah ha! This uncertainty over how it works proves that evolution is incorrect." However, I can counterargue that we don't know how gravity works correctly and there is some doubt over how it works. Does that mean gravity does not exist?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:18 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
El-Diablo wrote:
Quote:
How DARE I.... question ANYTHING.......EVER !! Especially if you say it ! Eeek!

Just because I doubt the validity of claiming that a group of people who have SURVIVED a flood would make up a story about themselves NOT SURVIVING a flood, yep I'm a baaaaaaaad guy.

You've dumbed the word down. He didnt say "question" he said "ridicule". The difference being when you ridicule something you really don't care if there's an answer or if it's given you will continue believing what you want.

Your assumption seems to be if someone gives me an answer that they believe to be correct, then that should end all further discussion, inquiry, thought, dissent or curiosity. Sorry I kinda outgrew that type of passivity in about the 3rd grade.

No, no, that's not the point. The point is, that you have been given an answer that is far more scientifically valid than a world-wide flood, therefore that particular answer is more true than the world-wide flood.

Quote:
Think of all the scientists who would never have done their work if they had stopped and passively accepted, "Scientists agree that........"

Yes, but most of these scientists do their work when there is enough doubt to warrant trying something different and thinking down a different route. There isn't enough doubt with plate tectonics and geology to warrant trying to find a different theory.

The most doubt is within the biological aspects, and even then, it's more of a "do mutations accumulate, are suppressed and only expressed when a disaster forces them to evolve" or a "do they mutate and evolve slowly over time" question?

You're attacking the part of evolution where there is the least number of models.

In the biological side, we have a few models.

1. "Mutations accumulate over time, but are suppressed. They are only expressed when a disaster forces the organisms to adapt".
2. "Mutations occur over time, selected for natural selection over time, causing gradual evolution over time."

You may say, "Ah ha! This uncertainty over how it works proves that evolution is incorrect." However, I can counterargue that we don't know how gravity works correctly and there is some doubt over how it works. Does that mean gravity does not exist?

C'mon Wolf. You can do better than that.

Gravity is an observable phenomenon.

The comparison doesn't hold water at all.

Geologists want to postulate that massive sedimentary structures were laid down a little at a time, over long periods of time. In some cases this may be true or it may not.

To argue that it must always be true and that anyone who dares disagree is (fill in the blank) simply shows the tenacity of the proponent, but in no way strengthens his argument.

The argument is basically a circular one. "All scientists agree that X is true. X must be true because all scientists agree that it is so. "

So the huff and puff of "You're in disagreement with many scientists, pal ! And boy are we talking lots of 'em !" doesn't really mean much to me.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:34 am
real life wrote:

Evolution is also observable, but currently because of the shortage of our life, it is only observable to the extent of bacteria. However, we can extrapolate data from that to other organisms.

Gravity is only observable where we are. We have to extrapolate the data from where we are to determine what it does elsewhere.

Quote:
Geologists want to postulate that massive sedimentary structures were laid down a little at a time, over long periods of time. In some cases this may be true or it may not.

I'll let a geologist argue that one.

Quote:
To argue that it must always be true and that anyone who dares disagree is (fill in the blank) simply shows the tenacity of the proponent, but in no way strengthens his argument.

The argument is basically a circular one. "All scientists agree that X is true. X must be true because all scientists agree that it is so. "

I'm sorry, I didn't explain myself well enough.

The argument is not the circular one you think of. It is the argument that scientists agree that X is true, because many scientists have done the experiments to prove that X is more true than Y, and that the experiments done to prove X is more true than Y can be repeated time after time again without giving different answers. The experiments done to prove X more true than Y do not give superfluous results because other sets of experiments also prove X to be more true than Y and other experiments prove the other experiments are correct methodology.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:17 am
Setanta wrote:
I simply point out to you that your continued effort to support a contention that the bible is literal, revealed truth is beggared in so many ways. The Sphinx article was just by way of pointing out that there are many challenges to the traditional biblical dating such as was the basis of Ussher's exegesis. I note you sidestep entirely the very sound refutation found in the Catal Huyuk and Jericho sites. I know damn well you meant written history, and was at some pains to point out that there are sound archaeological bases for ignoring that petty criticism.

We've had all the rain we'll need for some time to come in the Ohio valley--and no more of your revealed truth smoke and mirrors is needed either. It is just pathetic to see someone intelligent try so hard not to see truths which contradict "revealed truth." Shame on you.
Sorry I have taken so long to answer. You provide me with reason to think more so than some others. Smile

Ussher's calculations are not correct. I would neither quote him nor send you to any site presenting his thesis.

There are truths which appear to contradict "revealed truth", but contradict only misrepresentations of the truth. Do you think, as Frank does, that I am credulous to the point where I would believe without some form of verification? I accept the bible and believe in God because of overwhelming circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. That there is more than occasional archeological and historical supporting evidence is a plus, but not a deciding factor. Think of all the folks believing in the existence of Pilate without archeological verification until an inscription bearing his name was found in Caesarea in 1961.

I am well aware of the apparent contradictions found in academic research and in certain interpretations of the scriptures, but have always found it interesting that when Jesus reportedly told Pilate "I have come to bear witness to the truth", Pilate answered "What is truth?"

Keep up the criticism. And thank you for the mental challenge, my friend. I only hope my posts have some meaning to you.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 11:44 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:

Evolution is also observable, but currently because of the shortage of our life, it is only observable to the extent of bacteria. However, we can extrapolate data from that to other organisms.

When have bacteria ever been observed to evolve to anything but bacteria?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:18 pm
real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:

When have bacteria ever been observed to evolve to anything but bacteria?
Oh yeah!? Have you seen Jabba the Hutt?
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 02:44 pm
neologist wrote:

I accept the bible and believe in God because of overwhelming circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. That there is more than occasional archeological and historical supporting evidence is a plus, but not a deciding factor.

You are kidding yourself.

I am one who was brought up in Christianity and was a deeply commited Bible Believing Christian. I was studying for the ministry and know the Bible from both a religious perspective (and now a non-religious one).

The fact is there is very little evidence for many events in the Bible. There are historical facts in the Bible, but this is not surprising seeing as it was written by folks who had knowledge of the history.

The reason I no longer believe the Bible is that is requires you to believe things that are completely illogical-- including...

1) Genocide is sometimes OK and even ordered by God.

2) People can come back from the dead.

3) At some point in our history, the Earth stopped spinning for a day... and then started spinning again. All of this didn't have the disasterous consequences that would be dictated by science.

4) Ghandi is comdemned to burn in Hell.

5) Tens of thousands of people lived in the Sinai Peninsula for 40 years, yet left no trace whatsoever.

No one who is objective is going to conclude that a belief in the Bible is at all supported by logic or evidence. And I should know,...

I was a Bible believing Christian who had the courage to step back and look at my beliefs objectively... and I think you know where that led.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:00 pm
ebrown, What was the biggest hurdle for you to realize that the bible was a fictional book with many errors, omissions and contradictions? It would seem evident to any outsider that the bible is not logical by any meaning of the word, yet many people of intelligence continue to believe in it. It's a mystery.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 03:39 pm
Quote:

Ok real life, the difference between a geologist and someone on a chat line is that the geologist is usually responsible to wisely spend someone elses money to determine correct answers to the the above, since the sedimentation rates may be controlling factors of important economic deposits. You make it sound like geologists just sit around bars and postulate things that only become debatable fodder for the untrained . They dont, they are keenly aware of the relationship that their applied science and someones money have to each other, let alone the chain of evidence that each little fact helps build.
You (and your ilk) have no responsibilities and parallel with that charge , you have no need to gain any in-depth knowledge about how fluid mechanics,chemical sedimentation, diagenesis, and tectonics work.
To you, I have no basis with which to argue as a colleague (or even as an instructor). Not because I dont wish to, its just because I do this for a living and , by being mostly ignorant of th e foundation LAWS (including gravity bucko) and theories,you would not derive any more from my offerings of literature resources in which you could consult, because youre starting to regress to a level beneath first year students.Im sure you know better, its just that you wish to stand on a principal, no matter how silly.

Once more though. Sediment layers are environment specific. There are sed layers that accumulate quickly (landslides, turbidity currents in deep ocean mudslides, tsunami benches, earthquake talus). Then there are the vast majorities of sedimentary layers that accumulate at a rate of a few centimeters to up to a tenth of a foot per year. For example, How can you have a quickly emplaced thick layer of LIMESTONE in a turbid (high energy) environment. You cant, these are mutually exclusive schemes. Limestones need quiet shallow waters and thickening basins. We have limestone deposits up to 4miles thick in places of the US and the world. Likewise, Beach sands are slowly migrating deposits laterally and vertically (according to WAlthers Law) a beach represents a narrow high energy fringe of land and water. If the beach progrades (moves in) the beach deposit is seen to migrate inland and a normal ocean silt and particulate deposit covers this from seaward. These deposits are quite common worldwide and they represent good places to locate oil sands.The beach sand deposits and alluvial fan deposits are usually thin(a few hundred feet maybe) but they represent a conveyance for oil to migrate to a trap where we can conveniently drill it.
Other types , likeLacustrine silts and clays, varve deposits, fluvial deposits, cannel coals and peats, coal beds and palludal deposits all have their unique rates of average deposition and there are many other specific and unique sed types which we study for economic, as well as academic reasons (spits, sand bars, moraines, eskers, karst features, etc)
You seem to want a "one size fits all" mentality in sedimentary rocks.It doesnt work that way and , maybe the next geologist wont be so kind with you when you display your own special"geological analyses" on a chat line.

I know that the creationists are fond of not understanding basic geological principals , but not letting that stop them from excoriating geologists who work in the field every day. For your vast lack of knowledge in the subject and your stubborn stick-to-itivness to remain ignorant, I would like to offer the awards committee your name in nomination so you get the 2005 Duane Gish "No NO it aint so award"

The hell of it is, with the exception of a lot of the theoretical parts of geology, it is one of the most accessible and observable sciences out there. Sure , we use fancy tools but hell, theyre no more complex than an engine analyzer or a VTVM. My suspicion is that you dont want to read so that you can ask your dumass questions and sound almost astute. If youd read an introductory geology /sedimentology text, youd see that these very questions have been answered since "Strata Smiths days"
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:37 pm
neologist wrote:
There are truths which appear to contradict "revealed truth", but contradict only misrepresentations of the truth. Do you think, as Frank does, that I am credulous to the point where I would believe without some form of verification? I accept the bible and believe in God because of overwhelming circumstantial and anecdotal evidence.

I have no other recourse than to believe that you insist upon belief in the absence of any but putative circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. There isn't a shred of historical support for the existence of said Joshua the Rabbi which is not subject to a charge of historical interpolation. From the point of view of an historical analysis which doesn't make the automatic assumptions of the christian, the greatest likelihood is that said Joshua may in fact not ever have existed, but is rather a literary character created (cleverly) to convey to the wider world a distillation of the philosophy prevelant among Essene mystics of the Augustinian era. (That's Augustine as in Octvanian redux Caesar Augustus.)

Quote:
That there is more than occasional archeological and historical supporting evidence is a plus, but not a deciding factor. Think of all the folks believing in the existence of Pilate without archeological verification until an inscription bearing his name was found in Caesarea in 1961.

I know of no reputable historian who has doubted the existence of Pilate, for whom textual evidence has long been known. To take comfort in the "proof" of something never doubted by professionals who make their living from the study of the topic is an extremely silly exercise.

Quote:
I am well aware of the apparent contradictions found in academic research and in certain interpretations of the scriptures, but have always found it interesting that when Jesus reportedly told Pilate "I have come to bear witness to the truth", Pilate answered "What is truth?"

To move from an unquestioned assertion (unquestioned by those whose business it is to study ancient texts) that Pilate existed and may well have been a procurator (a glorified tax collector), to the silly drama of the new testament and write of what "Jesus" said, and what Pilate said in response is an exercise in cobbling together a fantasy of whole cloth from a few stray threads picked off the jacket of history. What you find interesting is an assertion that only has credence if one starts from an assumption that there is historical truth in the dogmatically accepted canon of the four "gospels"--an assumption without historical merit.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:43 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
neologist wrote:

I accept the bible and believe in God because of overwhelming circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. That there is more than occasional archeological and historical supporting evidence is a plus, but not a deciding factor.

You are kidding yourself.

I am one who was brought up in Christianity and was a deeply commited Bible Believing Christian. I was studying for the ministry and know the Bible from both a religious perspective (and now a non-religious one).

The fact is there is very little evidence for many events in the Bible. There are historical facts in the Bible, but this is not surprising seeing as it was written by folks who had knowledge of the history.

The reason I no longer believe the Bible is that is requires you to believe things that are completely illogical-- including...

1) Genocide is sometimes OK and even ordered by God.

2) People can come back from the dead.

3) At some point in our history, the Earth stopped spinning for a day... and then started spinning again. All of this didn't have the disasterous consequences that would be dictated by science.

4) Ghandi is comdemned to burn in Hell.

5) Tens of thousands of people lived in the Sinai Peninsula for 40 years, yet left no trace whatsoever.

No one who is objective is going to conclude that a belief in the Bible is at all supported by logic or evidence. And I should know,...

I was a Bible believing Christian who had the courage to step back and look at my beliefs objectively... and I think you know where that led.
If you seriously believed that the bible supports the concept of a roasting toasting baking broiling hell, then you never understood the bible. You were never shown that the soul does not survive death. You never understood that the harsh punishments and judgements of the OT were not part of God's purpose for the earth and that all who never knew God have been promised a resurrection that they might have a chance to experience the life which Adam lost.

You were duped, not by the bible, but by the self serving hierarchy of the church. Don't blame God.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 04:52 pm
farmerman wrote:
real life wrote:

Ok real life, the difference between a geologist and someone on a chat line is that the geologist is .............

You (and your ilk) have no responsibilities ..............

Im sure you know better, its just that you wish to stand on a principal, no matter how silly.

Once more though. Sediment layers are environment specific. There are sed layers that accumulate quickly (landslides, turbidity currents in deep ocean mudslides, tsunami benches, earthquake talus). Then there are the vast majorities of sedimentary layers that accumulate at a rate of a few centimeters to up to a tenth of a foot per year...........

Other types , likeLacustrine silts and clays, varve deposits, fluvial deposits, cannel coals and peats, coal beds and palludal deposits all have their unique rates of average deposition .................

You seem to want a "one size fits all" mentality in sedimentary rocks.It doesnt work that way and , maybe the next geologist wont be so kind with you when you display your own special"geological analyses" on a chat line.

I know that the creationists are fond of not understanding basic geological principals ...............

So sedimentary strata may have been laid down quickly.......or they may not, if I understand your line here.

Hmmmmmm. I tot I ted da tame thing.

real life wrote:

I did ! I did ! I did tay da tame thing.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:24 pm
real life wrote:
So sedimentary strata may have been laid down quickly.......or they may not, if I understand your line here.

Hmmmmmm. I tot I ted da tame thing.

real life wrote:

I did ! I did ! I did tay da tame thing.

No you didn't, you attempted to construct a straw man contending that "Geologists want to postulate that massive sedimenary structures were laid down a little at a time, over long periods of time." You came out with that stinking crap in order to preen yourself on your vast knowledge--which is a chimera.

Your "debating technique" is pathetic.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:29 pm
farmerman wrote:
Sure , we use fancy tools but hell, theyre no more complex than an engine analyzer or a VTVM.

"VTVM", now there is one I have not heard for some time.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 05:35 pm
Setanta wrote:
have no other recourse than to believe that you insist upon belief in the absence of any but putative circumstantial and anecdotal evidence. There isn't a shred of historical support for the existence of said Joshua the Rabbi which is not subject to a charge of historical interpolation. From the point of view of an historical analysis which doesn't make the automatic assumptions of the christian, the greatest likelihood is that said Joshua may in fact not ever have existed, but is rather a literary character created (cleverly) to convey to the wider world a distillation of the philosophy prevelant among Essene mystics of the Augustinian era. (That's Augustine as in Octvanian redux Caesar Augustus.)
I take it you don't think much of my conclusions. Are you saying I should chuck my beliefs because you say Jesus probably never existed?

So the veracity of the Gospels is subject to attack? If it's the truth, I would expect it to be attacked. Look how much effort the church expended to suppress the printing of the bible in the language of the common folk.

That a literary character could have perpetrated such a monumental hoax is a stroke of incredible genius on someone's part.

Barbecue invitation still stands, though.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 08:36 pm
I don't delude myself that you will "chuck your beliefs" at my behest. I simply want to point out to you that i'm not going to be convinced by your exegesis. Indeed, it was clever to have created such a character, if that is what happened. It is possible that a Rabbi Joshua existed at the time and disseminated the Essene philosophy, but it is equally possible that the character is just that--a literary construct. It is not so remarkable, however, when one considers the wide and almost bewildering variety of "gods" which the human race has created through the ages.

There were more than a dozen "gospels" extant at the end of the third century. Pamphilus and his protege Eusebius worked to "correct" the four which have become the accepted canon, and to discredit all other accounts and all other theologic imputations and exegesis. In the process, they clashed head-on with Arius of Alexandria, and the council of Nicaea was convened, and subsequently ratified the "election" of the four-gospel cannon. With the temple/priesthood structure created by Saul of Tarsus, the alleged "St. Paul," and the elevation of christianity to the dignity of state religion, it is not surprising at all that attacks on the canon and the theological assumptions of the Orthodox, Byzantine and Roman churches were effectively suppressed. Nor should it surprise you especially that churchs long worked to keep the scriptures out of the reach of the common members of congregations.

As for the barbecue, please keep in mind that i don't take strong drink, and i don't like Pepsi. Thank you very kindly.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:09 pm
Quote:

Funny thing is that science is questioning gravity more than evolution simply because evolution has more evidence. Gravity as we know it, especially with the advent of string theory, is being seriously questioned. Theories of gravitrons as particles that "induce" gravity are being more accepted now and are taking place in some cases of the notions that gravity is simply an interaction between particles like electromagnetism and nuclear forces.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 09:57 pm
Setanta wrote:

Your "debating technique" is pathetic.

I guess style is more important to some than others. Where I come from, if appearance takes precedence it's referred to as "All hat, no cattle"

Oh I should have looked at the picture.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:16 pm
Quote:

Were you born this way? I don't like to result to personal insults but that was the most inverted and retarded interpretation of what I said. You interpreted as the exact opposite. I never said questioning things was bad. That was you slamming it down my throat. I said it appears u have come in to ridicule evolutionary findings in that you ask questions but know you will never be convinced with out answers and are just looking for an opportunity to say "Aha see! I told you so!!". I don't find particularly amusing that you assigned totally different meaning to what I said and misapplied in a poor example. Sorry I kind of grew out that bullshit in the 3rd grade,
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 27 Jul, 2005 10:34 pm
real life wrote:
I guess style is more important to some than others. Where I come from, if appearance takes precedence it's referred to as "All hat, no cattle"

Oh I should have looked at the picture.

You make yourself look more ridiculous with each response. You are the one who presents "style" without substance. You erect straw men, claiming that, in this example, geologists "say" something which they don't in fact say. That's your "style," complete falsehoods used as straw men for your punch-the-dummy exercises in forensics.

Your rhetorical method becomes increasingly pathetic.
0 Replies