Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 12:25 am
real life wrote:
It seems rather unlikely that a group of people who obviously survived a LOCAL flood on dry ground (such as the postulated Black-Caspian event that you propose ) would conclude that it was a world wide flood, since they themselves survived it WITHOUT resorting to an ark. The concocction of a world wide flood myth in the wake of an event such as this is so unlikely as to be laughable.

Yes, i've noted a tendancy on your part to laugh at things which you do not understand or are unwilling to acknowledge. The Black Sea/Caspian event is not a postulate, it is a description of the geological evidence in the region. Were the Aryan tribes of the region residents of the Caucasus Mountains, they would have found themselves isolated on islands which were previously simply mountain peaks, and would have been surrounded by water for as far as they could see.

You attempt to ridicule the reasonable statements of others in order to support your wildly hilarious and extravagent contention that the fairy tales in the bible are revealed truth. You only beggar your own credibility in the process.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 03:32 am
Isn't it strange?

Instead of attacking Evolution directly, real life and neologist at the moment are attacking it indirectly through attacking geological evidence. I think the purpose is that if they prove that the Earth is young, it doesn't matter how scientifically correct evolution is, because a young Earth prevents evolution from occurring.

I am no expert on geological evidence for evolution. I merely know that the geological resesarch results are evaluated scrutinously by peer-reviewed journals before being published. I know, that the geologists not only try to date rocks, but then try to prove that the results of their dating was not as a result of an accident through several more experiments.

Biologically, evolution is scientifically sound, though the gaps are only in how the species came about through evolution and even that it slowly being resolved through data from microbiology, biology, protein engineering, functional genomics and so forth.

The hang up here is the definition of a species and the misunderstanding that evolution is not survival of the fittest, but survival of the fittest genes.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:39 am
real life said
Quote:
Fossil formation would likely have taken place quickly. If a creature had lain on the top of sediment for years ( as postulated by uniformitarians; and as the "slow formation of sedimentary strata" theses generally state) wouldn't it be a bit unusual for the creature to lay there all that time and not be scavenged or decomposed? Can you imagine it lying there perfectly preserved from scavengers or decomposition for even a few months? The idea is so far fetched that I cannot believe you would take it seriously.

Im amazed , seriously amazed. I have first year students that can grasp this. Leonardo made the observation in his Leicester codex that, "animalcules (fossils) are found at the tops of mountains. This accompanioed by the fact that the "stratiments"(sic) should have been deposited in layers horizontal to the shorelines,"... (here its mostly paraphrase by me)... He realizes that these fossil laden sediments were "uplifted"

Leonardo, came up with the actual sequence of how we get fossils onto mountain tops. ALL mountains, so deposited had reached their present lofts by post fossil depositional TECTONICS. We know that the Himalayas were hit head on by India , the resultant crash cause the sediments of the proto Himalayan basin to be squeezed and pushed skyward.

Its really an easy concept, no "high tech" once the data is in.
We know how long ago these continental collisions happened because internal "atomic clocks" that live in elements like Hafnium, reset their 'mother /daughter" balances and reatrat the clock. (can see a lot about isotope chem in A Dickin's book "Radioactive Isotope Chemistry" 1995)
These, combined with magnetostratitigraphy and seismic and heat flow data, all point to a path that India took as it broke from the Laurasian subcontinent (proto Africa) and then slammed into Asias belly These data suggest (evidence) that the Himalayas began rising about 25 million years ago.

The Rockies are a bit more complicaed because they have at least 3 separate mountain building sequences, all separated by erosion and accretion of new basins.

This is something that they cover in first year Hitorical Geology.

Remember wolf, both Darwin and Wallace came up with a concept of natural selection while only having observed species varieties in island environments. Darwin had finches and guinea pigs and examples of pigeon hybridization. HE also had fossils to compare his thinking. Wallace made similar conclusions but his were not, IMHO, not as well thought out and were far less complete than Darwin. The benefits of molecular biology are a fairly recent addition to help prove and (in many cases) further diverge the common ancestry of various species, and to help us more closely "date" common ancestry that were suggested by fossils. The Creationists just selectively ignore much of this evidence and declare it "irrelevant". They will , as above, argue topics that are unbelievably proven and disposed of. Yet they constantly profess that a big "Controversy" exists among scientists , when no such controversy lives except in the minds of the few koooks who try to foist their garbage on the uneducated.I can see that guys like "real life" will score no big points with the people hereon A2k (except those that are similarly disposed to believe the biblical tale as evidence).
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 06:53 am
Indeed, there is no controversy in the mechanisms of evolution nor about whether it exists.

I think, though, there is a slight controversy over whether the mutations accumulate and then a catastrophic event causes evolution of new species, or whether it is gradual.

But to say that is a major controversy that disproves evolution is like saying the fact that Christians are told in one part of the Bible that they can't eat shellfish whilst are told that they don't have to follow the eating rules in the Old Testament is proof that the Bible is complete twaddle.

And yes, I do have a copy of "Origin of Species" but I'm find it difficult to get into it, despite the fact that it was written for the average laymen.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:08 am
Setanta wrote:
Your number eight doubling every 80 years does not take into account war, famine, flood (of the garden as opposed to the fantastical variety), pandemic disease and the thousand natural shocks to which the flesh is heir. . .
As for the age of written history, rather than point out that your dating is suspect, i would simply explode your facile and feeble attempt to suggest by inference that no human evidence older than Bishop Ussher's silly exegesis exists by pointing to the Sphinx. An excellent summary on "re-dating" the age of the Sphinx (with a complete bibliography) more than adequately makes a fool of Bishop Ussher. In addition, note in the text the references to human "cities" (walled settlements) at Catal Huyuk in Anatolia and at Jericho in Palestine, dating to the seventh and ninth millenia before the current era respectively.
You are sufficiently intelligent to understand everything i've just written, Neo, your silly self-deprecation notwithstanding. Believe what you will about your God, i've never objected to your holding such beliefs. Do have the courtesy, however, not to piss down my leg and tell me it's raining.
I never suggested the earth's population would actually double every 80 years, I simply used figures suggested by the post of our astute colleague, xingu.

Nor would I presume to challenge your seemingly endless library of academic documents, rather the conclusions you draw from them. I believe you are so distracted by the lofty qualifications of those writers, you can't discern the treasure hidden in the dirt level simplicity of the scriptures.

The redating site was edifying. One phrase in the document deserves note: "Assuming a linear rate of weathering. . . " That says a lot. I also noticed that Schloch's work was not universally accepted.

I'm not about to say that the Sphinx survived the food of Noah, but Schwaller's suggestion "that the cause of erosion on the Sphinx was water rather than wind-borne sand" is most interesting.

Besides, I was referring to written history.

Oh; and, with all this hot weather, It's time for some rain, don't you think?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:47 am
neo said
Quote:
I'm not about to say that the Sphinx survived the food of Noah, but Schwaller's suggestion "that the cause of erosion on the Sphinx was water rather than wind-borne sand" is most interesting.
.The guy is fixated with Water erosion rather than wind. If you read some of his summaries, hes postulating torrent erosion as wed see frm rain flowing down the side of sphinx. His thesis is that sphinx is older than credited because the local climate was wetter about 9 to 10K BP. No "collateral" flood damage because we know that there were mudflats and terrestrial sediment pools that contain pollen from land plants that are about 10 K years old. Anything you may propose, has an answer is some realistic science base. Even Schwaller wouldnt make his claims (As if there were a "flood) when all 10K environmental data strongly shows the terrestrial plants and animals of that time, lots of swamps and hummocks but no floods, sorry.
Youre entire problem here is based upon having a short focus on one item while ignoring the surrounding evidence. Real life is like that also. At least you can be reasoned with.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 10:19 am
neologist wrote:
I never suggested the earth's population would actually double every 80 years, I simply used figures suggested by the post of our astute colleague, xingu.

Nor would I presume to challenge your seemingly endless library of academic documents, rather the conclusions you draw from them. I believe you are so distracted by the lofty qualifications of those writers, you can't discern the treasure hidden in the dirt level simplicity of the scriptures.

The redating site was edifying. One phrase in the document deserves note: "Assuming a linear rate of weathering. . . " That says a lot. I also noticed that Schloch's work was not universally accepted.

Besides, I was referring to written history.

Oh; and, with all this hot weather, It's time for some rain, don't you think?

I simply point out to you that your continued effort to support a contention that the bible is literal, revealed truth is beggared in so many ways. The Sphinx article was just by way of pointing out that there are many challenges to the traditional biblical dating such as was the basis of Ussher's exegesis. I note you sidestep entirely the very sound refutation found in the Catal Huyuk and Jericho sites. I know damn well you meant written history, and was at some pains to point out that there are sound archaeological bases for ignoring that petty criticism.

We've had all the rain we'll need for some time to come in the Ohio valley--and no more of your revealed truth smoke and mirrors is needed either. It is just pathetic to see someone intelligent try so hard not to see truths which contradict "revealed truth." Shame on you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 10:22 am
Another fact that supports evolution are the diversity of marine microoragnisms . Scientists are just beginning research in this area, and are finding diversity of 20,000 cells in each drop of water, but have only gotten samples from about 30 locations of the world. .
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:12 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Another fact that supports evolution are the diversity of marine microoragnisms . Scientists are just beginning research in this area, and are finding diversity of 20,000 cells in each drop of water, but have only gotten samples from about 30 locations of the world. .

Why do you interpret this as supporting evolution?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:28 am
Because different environment requires anything that lives to adapt or perish. Once upon a time on this planet, all the land mass was one. Over time, new microbes were "born" and survived the changes of the continental shelf - while those weaker ones died off. The world we see today is much different from the world of hundreds of millions years ago. We now have seven continents; with time there may be more or less. The microbes that can adapt will continue to live, while many will die off. It is believed that marine microbes are essential to the planet's carbon and oxygen balance important to the health of earth. All facts that supports evolution.
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 01:58 pm
Quote:

If your not suggesting it then why did you post;

Quote:
If the number (8) were to double every 80 years, in 2400 years, the earth would contain. 8,589,934,592 folks. Is that enough?

Sounds to me like you making a statement.

Quote:
I find it interesting that 'written' history, which is inaccurately dated, can go back no more than 5000 or so years.

I take it then, by your belief, all history that is older then 4000 B.C. must be inaccurate because the earth didn't exist before 4000 B.C.

Excellent logic. Disregard everything that does not agree with your mythology.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:32 pm
farmerman wrote:
Leonardo, came up with the actual sequence of how we get fossils onto mountain tops. ALL mountains, so deposited had reached their present lofts by post fossil depositional TECTONICS. We know that the Himalayas were hit head on by India , the resultant crash cause the sediments of the proto Himalayan basin to be squeezed and pushed skyward.

Its really an easy concept, no "high tech" once the data is in.
We know how long ago these continental collisions happened because internal "atomic clocks" that live in elements like Hafnium, reset their 'mother /daughter" balances and reatrat the clock. (can see a lot about isotope chem in A Dickin's book "Radioactive Isotope Chemistry" 1995)
These, combined with magnetostratitigraphy and seismic and heat flow data, all point to a path that India took as it broke from the Laurasian subcontinent (proto Africa) and then slammed into Asias belly These data suggest (evidence) that the Himalayas began rising about 25 million years ago.

I posted this info a few months back, but since some here now may have missed it ....there is a Shockwave animation of the Gondwana breakup that presents it pretty well for the layman. It provides a great visual of what farmerman describes above.

Gondwana Animation
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 04:54 pm
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:
It seems rather unlikely that a group of people who obviously survived a LOCAL flood on dry ground (such as the postulated Black-Caspian event that you propose ) would conclude that it was a world wide flood, since they themselves survived it WITHOUT resorting to an ark. The concocction of a world wide flood myth in the wake of an event such as this is so unlikely as to be laughable.

Yes, i've noted a tendancy on your part to laugh at things which you do not understand or are unwilling to acknowledge. The Black Sea/Caspian event is not a postulate, it is a description of the geological evidence in the region. Were the Aryan tribes of the region residents of the Caucasus Mountains, they would have found themselves isolated on islands which were previously simply mountain peaks, and would have been surrounded by water for as far as they could see.

You attempt to ridicule the reasonable statements of others in order to support your wildly hilarious and extravagent contention that the fairy tales in the bible are revealed truth. You only beggar your own credibility in the process.

Yeah I know.

How DARE I.... question ANYTHING.......EVER !! Especially if you say it ! Eeek!

Just because I doubt the validity of claiming that a group of people who have SURVIVED a flood would make up a story about themselves NOT SURVIVING a flood, yep I'm a baaaaaaaad guy.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
Quote:

Just because I doubt the validity of claiming that a group of people who have SURVIVED a flood would make up a story about themselves NOT SURVIVING a flood, yep I'm a baaaaaaaad guy.

You've dumbed the word down. He didnt say "question" he said "ridicule". The difference being when you ridicule something you really don't care if there's an answer or if it's given you will continue believing what you want.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:13 pm
huh?
Quote:

Not bad, just dim.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 05:16 pm
yeh Mesquite. I have that SHockwave in my Favorites from when you first posted it. Werent you the one who asked about the apparent high speed of India slamming into Asia?

I still havent found anything about that apparent velocity.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 08:45 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:

If your not suggesting it then why did you post;
Why did you bother to suggest that the earth couldn't not have been repopulated in a certain period of time?
Quote:
I find it interesting that 'written' history, which is inaccurately dated, can go back no more than 5000 or so years.
xingu wrote:
I take it then, by your belief, all history that is older then 4000 B.C. must be inaccurate because the earth didn't exist before 4000 B.C.
Where did you get that figure? Not from me.

You keep citing misrepresentations of the bible to disprove the bible. When I point out what the bible actually says, you ignore it. You wouldn't have some other agenda, would you?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:00 pm
farmerman wrote:
neo said
Quote:
.The guy is fixated with Water erosion rather than wind. If you read some of his summaries, hes postulating torrent erosion as wed see frm rain flowing down the side of sphinx. His thesis is that sphinx is older than credited because the local climate was wetter about 9 to 10K BP. No "collateral" flood damage because we know that there were mudflats and terrestrial sediment pools that contain pollen from land plants that are about 10 K years old. Anything you may propose, has an answer is some realistic science base. Even Schwaller wouldnt make his claims (As if there were a "flood) when all 10K environmental data strongly shows the terrestrial plants and animals of that time, lots of swamps and hummocks but no floods, sorry.
Youre entire problem here is based upon having a short focus on one item while ignoring the surrounding evidence. Real life is like that also. At least you can be reasoned with.
Just a comment on the document with no scientific insight intended.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 09:11 pm
El-Diablo wrote:
Quote:

You've dumbed the word down. He didnt say "question" he said "ridicule". The difference being when you ridicule something you really don't care if there's an answer or if it's given you will continue believing what you want.

Your assumption seems to be if someone gives me an answer that they believe to be correct, then that should end all further discussion, inquiry, thought, dissent or curiosity. Sorry I kinda outgrew that type of passivity in about the 3rd grade.

Think of all the scientists who would never have done their work if they had stopped and passively accepted, "Scientists agree that........"
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Tue 26 Jul, 2005 11:06 pm
real life wrote:
Setanta wrote:
real life wrote:

Yeah I know.

You're like a punch drunk fighter who doesn't realise he's been beaten. Set has beaten you up so much, it's a wonder you can even type. It would be funny if it wasn't so ludicrously pathetic.
0 Replies