real life

Reply Fri 22 Jul, 2005 10:28 pm
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
real life wrote:
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

It's certainly helped prevent Creationists from trying to get a stranglehold on what is essentially a subject they have no right in meddling with.

Hi Wolf,

Citizens lose their rights if they express a religious point of view? I think not. Not in this country they don't.

When did I say that? I never said anybody lose any rights.

Quote:
Since you apparently don't understand Constitutional Law, let's leave you in science for just a minute longer:

No, Constitutional Law is something a non-American wouldn't understand.

Quote:
Maybe you should go back and explain why so many of the scientists that we revere for laying the scientific foundation that we built the last two centuries of advancement on, were believers in God.

Were they not as bright as you? When they read the Bible did they miss all those contradictions that you think you can see so clearly (but they were just poor blinded ignorant fools )?

What? You are confusing another debate we're having with this one. I've kept the one about God's existence separate from this one as much possible.

Look, God is something personal. They may believe in God, yes, but the majority tend to keep their belief separate from science. They don't let their belief influence their job.

They may have found something and then said, "Oh, I have looked upon the face of God" or "Only God could have done something like this", but that's an afterthought and they certainly didn't let it influence their work. In that respect, they kept God out of science, by keeping him separate from the work.

They cannot empirically prove God exists, so they keep him separate. They merely state those things in private.

What some Creationists are doing is to influence what has been proved through empirical evidence to be more true than its antithesis. They are trying to get schools to teach something that has no empirical evidence and hence has no place being taught in a science class.

This isn't about belief in God.

This is about, keeping him out of science as much as possible.

God is at the end of all this and we haven't even scratched the surface. To try and factor him in now could end up skewing the real picture.

I wonder why the scientists who laid the scientific foundation of Western civilization don't seem to agree with you.

They didn't keep Him out of science as much as possible.

They didn't keep their belief separate from their scientific endeavors.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:30 am
real life wrote:

Were they not as bright as you? When they read the Bible did they miss all those contradictions that you think you can see so clearly (but they were just poor blinded ignorant fools )?

Are you saying there are no contradictions in the bible?

I know who the blindest fool of all is!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 08:11 am
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:

I know who the blindest fool of all is!
Apparent contradictions, yes.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 08:14 am
Wilso wrote:
real life wrote:

Throw one out here and let's see.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 08:44 am
The very Order of Creation directly contradicts what we see from scientific evidence.
Many Creationists still demand that a worldwide Flood occured. This too has no basis in fact.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 08:53 am
Hi farmer; Welcome back to the discussion and thanks for returning it to topic:
Virtually every civilization, tribe, religion and national group has a flood story in its history. Any idea how that came about?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:13 am
Quote:
Any idea how that came about?

Nearly every part of the world that early humans lived in was by water. They needed easy access to water to survive. At some time or another there were floods. Local floods, not the worldwide type of flood that is described in the Bible.

Do you ever read the news and hear about floods in our country? Has the Mississippi ever flooded; southern Texas and so forth and so on?

For example in 1993 the Mississippi River at St. Louis was above flood stage for 144 days, between April 1 and September 30. Do you not think Indian tribes would remember floods such as this that happened in their past and tell stories about them?

Do you think they would tell flood stories about typhoons that come ashore, causing floods and killing a large number of their people?

I think it would be very unusual if there were no flood stories in their cultures.

No doubt the Flood story of the Bible is based on a flood that may have been more severe then the usual floods. It happen in ancient times and is recounted in the Babylonian myth. Archeology has shown that there was a big flood of the Euphrates River at about 2900 BC. Perhaps the Flood story is based on this.

http://www.flood-myth.com/otscholr.htm

One thing we know for certain, there is not enough water on this planet to cover the earth the way the Bible describes.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:51 am
The flood stories almost universally agree with some features of the bible account:

1) a few survivors given refuge
2) global destruction of life by water
3) survival in a boat
4) stranded on a mountain

Not offering these as proof, just anecdotal evidence.

That Jesus believed in the flood is sufficient for me.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:52 am
xingu wrote:
One thing we know for certain, there is not enough water on this planet to cover the earth the way the Bible describes.
Are you certain the mountains were always as high as they are now?
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 01:19 pm
Why would they not be?
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 04:34 pm
real life wrote:
I wonder why the scientists who laid the scientific foundation of Western civilization don't seem to agree with you.

Oh you mean, people like Albert Einstein, who's concept of God made him say that "God does not play dice?" in reference to quantum physics? He let his concept of God shape his views on physics and hence he was wrong as a result.

Quote:
They didn't keep Him out of science as much as possible.

Oh really? Name one scientist who didn't keep Him out of his work as much as possible, apart from Albert Einstein, as I've already named him.

Quote:
They didn't keep their belief separate from their scientific endeavors.

And look what happened when Albert didn't keep his belief separate from his scientific endeavour. He ended up being wrong.

That is why scientists, all the scientists I've ever met, keep their religious beliefs as separate from their scientific endeavours as possible.

Just because some famous scientists did it, doesn't mean the majority do.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 09:29 pm
farmerman wrote:
The very Order of Creation directly contradicts what we see from scientific evidence.
Many Creationists still demand that a worldwide Flood occured. This too has no basis in fact.

BZZZZZZ

Sorry Farmerman,

You were supposed to give us a contradiction from the Bible.

Claiming that the Bible somehow conflicts with scientific evidence and/or theory is not a contradiction in the Bible (although I will be very glad to discuss it)

A contradiction in the Bible would be, for instance, if the Bible said in one passage that Jesus was born in Nazareth, and in another passage it stated He was born in Bethlehem. That would be a Bible contradiction.

--------------------------

Now on to your questions, Farmerman.

Who exactly are you claiming was present at creation to document that in fact the order stated in Genesis is incorrect? What method did they use to empirically observe and document this? And where may we read this first hand account?

---------------------------

Your second question:

Were you aware, Farmerman, that very many areas of the earth show some evidence of being under seawater at some point? (My favorite is the shark's teeth on the plains of Kansas. How do you suppose they got there?)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 23 Jul, 2005 11:01 pm
Speaking of the order of creation:

Genesis lists the following major stages:
Beginning;
Earth in darkness, shrouded in heavy gases and water;
Light (now reaching earth's surface);
An expanse (atmosphere);
Land areas;
Vegetation;
Sun, moon and stars discernible in the expanse; seasons;
Sea creatures and flying creatures;
Animals, mammals;
Humans;

(That the creative day is not a literal 24 hours is first evident in Genesis 2:4.)

Most scientists agree this order is generally correct. How did Moses know that? Did he learn it from the Egyptians?

There are 10 items on the list. Try this:
Write the numbers 1 through 10 on cards and put them face down in a box.
Mix them up. NO CHEATING!
Now try to pick them out in order from one to ten.
Didn't work? OK, try again.
Keep trying.
Let me know when you succeed.

I'm a pretty old geezer now; so hurry!
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 01:36 am
neologist wrote:
The flood stories almost universally agree with some features of the bible account:

1) a few survivors given refuge
2) global destruction of life by water
3) survival in a boat
4) stranded on a mountain

Not offering these as proof, just anecdotal evidence.

That Jesus believed in the flood is sufficient for me.

When people didn't know that there were any other countries on earth, a local flood would be considered worldwide!

Religion is a crutch. It's nothing but a refuge for frightened little minds unable to come to terms with the billion to one accident that is their existence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 01:44 am
The flood story, as is the case with so much of the Bible, is borrowed from other Semitic and Aryan sources--there is absolutely no reason to believe that the Hebrews themselves retained a folklore memory of such an event.

There was, however, a geological era in which the waters of the Black and Caspian Seas rose to the point that the two were joined. To the Aryan tribes living in the region, it probably would have seemed like a world-wide event--Wilso has cogently noted this. The very likely explanation is that the Hebrews included this fantastical story in their scripture as they did all the other features of the Gilgamesh Epic at the time of the Babylonian captivity, when they were taken for forced labor by Aryans (the Medes and Persians) to live among other Semites (the Akkadians) and finally got literate.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:18 am
neo said
Quote:
Most scientists agree this order is generally correct. How did Moses know that? Did he learn it from the Egyptians?

Thats silly. Why should we agree with a proposal that has animal groups occur out of order when we have evidence. There was an atmosphere from the beginning. Your "cloud of mists, is a grand illusory reference to the "water vapor theory" which allows the "flood " to occur without wrecking too many laws of Physics.. Genesis has birds before fish. Somebody get the correct order of occurence , neos trying to have it as many ways as he wishes without being too concerened about accruracy.
Quote:
Were you aware, Farmerman, that very many areas of the earth show some evidence of being under seawater at some point? (My favorite is the shark's teeth on the plains of Kansas. How do you suppose they got there?)

Having evidence of a sea at one time in geologic history doesnt imply that such inundation occured at the SAME TIME. In fact, the Continents drift, basins occur and seas come and go. The Genesis flood was a(supposed) worldwide incident . The work That Ryan et al came up with, that set refers to was a local occurence in Post pleistocene times. It could reasonably be the origin of a number of the "flood legends" Im somewhat aghast that you try to come in here and spout the "If it was covered by water once in Kansas, that means the entire world was flooded" It only means that , since the early 1960s work by some good structural geologists have been deciphering basin locations and structures as a means to find oil. These geologists were smart enough to extract the data that showed "when" these basins occured and"why"

If you wish to discuss science reasonably, please try to understand what the evidence shows before you stick your foot into your maw.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:35 am
farmerman wrote:
Thats silly. Why should we agree with a proposal that has animal groups occur out of order when we have evidence. There was an atmosphere from the beginning. Your "cloud of mists, is a grand illusory reference to the "water vapor theory" which allows the "flood " to occur without wrecking too many laws of Physics.. Genesis has birds before fish.* Somebody get the correct order of occurence , neos trying to have it as many ways as he wishes without being too concerened about accruracy. If you wish to discuss science reasonably, please try to understand what the evidence shows before you stick your foot into your maw. *Color added by neo.
Not so. Genesis 1:20,21 states: "And God went on to say: "Let the waters swarm forth a swarm of living souls and let flying creatures fly over the earth upon the face of the expanse of the heavens." 21 And God proceeded to create the great sea monsters and every living soul that moves about, which the waters swarmed forth according to their kinds, and every winged flying creature according to its kind."

Also, I can't see any reference to there not having been any atmosphere.

Hey; Moses could have just been a diligent scientist; you think?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 09:48 am
your reading "Pop" Genesis. I recall the 1960s KJV before all the new hip hop phrases in the bible referring to the creatures of the air occuring before the fish. Its no never mind because the bible does not contain any valid testable scientific data. Its a fairy tale book with some morality thrown in.

As far as Moses being a scientist, if hes anything as gullible as you, I suppose you could satisgy yourself into so believing.

As we say in Latin

"was er boot gefloaten"
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 10:11 am
farmerman wrote:
your reading "Pop" Genesis. I recall the 1960s KJV before all the new hip hop phrases in the bible referring to the creatures of the air occuring before the fish. Its no never mind because the bible does not contain any valid testable scientific data. Its a fairy tale book with some morality thrown in.

As far as Moses being a scientist, if hes anything as gullible as you, I suppose you could satisgy yourself into so believing.

As we say in Latin

"was er boot gefloaten"
If you say so, Pop. Laughing Read the translators' intro to the KJV to find out who they were trying to please.

The bible was never meant to be a scientific treatise. It is an explanation for why we have war and crime and sickness and death and what God intends to do about it. It was written to be understood by guys like Joe Sixpack. That is why educated folks like yourself can always find places where things are left out.

Think about it. If the bible were to explain everything in explicit scientific terms, would it provide any more hope, any more moral guidance? How would a guy like Joe Sixpack have a chance to use it as a reference for living? He'd never be able to read it.

Don't say he would need to hire a priest. That's what the priests have been trying to cram down our throats for centuries.

Farmer, I have great respect for your expertise in the field of natural science and would never think to claim I have any where near your scope of understanding. I also am an expert in my own field of bodybuilding and sports nutrition.

That being said, I can't think of anything you or I know that would supersede such simple commands as 'love your neighbor as yourself'. But the sad fact is that some of the religious elite can't understand it either.
0 Replies

El-Diablo

Reply Sun 24 Jul, 2005 11:36 am
Quote:
BZZZZZZ

Sorry Farmerman,

You were supposed to give us a contradiction from the Bible.

Claiming that the Bible somehow conflicts with scientific evidence and/or theory is not a contradiction in the Bible (although I will be very glad to discuss it)

A contradiction in the Bible would be, for instance, if the Bible said in one passage that Jesus was born in Nazareth, and in another passage it stated He was born in Bethlehem. That would be a Bible contradiction.

Well okay I'll bite the bait simply because you will otherwise think you have foiled us or something. I want you to bear in mind this has been brought forth many times by theists, do you not think there is an answer? Also I'm feeling lazy so I'll post links rather than type them all out. The danger in doing this is you might have a tendency to not read them or read 5 and refute them thus feeling a sense of pride which is otherwise false. Frankly I don't care. I admit there are some condradictions listed in these sites that aren't even contradrictions but misinterpretations. But then again I didn't type them out so they may not ALL be valid. However theres plenty to keep you busy.
site #1
Site #2
More of a Satanist site but it gave me a chuckle.
Shows all the cruelties and vices of EVERY book in the Bible.
I also once had a great site of contradictions but I forget the URL. O well this is good enough for now.
0 Replies