cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
Rex, Another flaw in the bible; contradictions of one verse in another verse - of the same book.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:11 am
neologist wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Some scholars believe that God did not tell Abraham to sacrifice Isaac but to just sacrifice... A burnt sacrifice is internal not external in Judaism... Abraham became confused by how the pagans sacrificed their young to the Gods and considered the same thing... Had Abraham sacrificed Isaac Jesus Christ would never have been born... God would have never tempted Abraham to nearly cut off our salvation for a simple show of vanity...
Here we have another believer who is afraid to believe a very important bible story.

I can show you the research on it if you are interested then you too will see the story as I do...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:13 am
Quotations by learned men from the 19th century:
"[Slavery] was established by decree of Almighty God...it is sanctioned in the Bible, in both Testaments, from Genesis to Revelation...it has existed in all ages, has been found among the people of the highest civilization, and in nations of the highest proficiency in the arts." Jefferson Davis, President of the Confederate States of America. 1,2
"There is not one verse in the Bible inhibiting slavery, but many regulating it. It is not then, we conclude, immoral." Rev. Alexander Campbell
"The right of holding slaves is clearly established in the Holy Scriptures, both by precept and example." Rev. R. Furman, D.D., Baptist, of South Carolina
"The hope of civilization itself hangs on the defeat of Negro suffrage." A statement by a prominent 19th-century southern Presbyterian pastor, cited by Rev. Jack Rogers, moderator of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
"The doom of Ham has been branded on the form and features of his African descendants. The hand of fate has united his color and destiny. Man cannot separate what God hath joined." United States Senator James Henry Hammond. 3

Overview:
The quotation by Jefferson Davis, listed above, reflected the beliefs of many Americans in the 19th century. Slavery was seen as having been "sanctioned in the Bible." They argued that:

Biblical passages recognized, controlled, and regulated the practice.
The Bible permitted owners to beat their slaves severely, even to the point of killing them. However, as long as the slave lingered longer than 24 hours before dying of the abuse, the owner was not regarded as having committed a crime, because -- after all -- the slave was his property. 4
Paul had every opportunity to write in one of his Epistles that human slavery -- the owning of one person as a piece of property by another -- is profoundly evil. His letter to Philemon would have been an ideal opportunity to vilify slavery. But he wrote not one word of criticism.
Jesus could have condemned the practice. He might have done so. But there is no record of him having said anything negative about the institution.

Eventually, the abolitionists gained sufficient power to eradicate slavery in most areas of the world by the end of the 19th century. Slavery was eventually recognized as an extreme evil. But this paradigm shift in understanding came at a cost. Christians wondered why the Bible was so supportive of such an immoral practice. They questioned whether the Bible was entirely reliable. Perhaps there were other practices that it accepted as normal which were profoundly evil -- like genocide, torturing prisoners, raping female prisoners of war, executing religious minorities, burning some hookers alive, etc. The innocent faith that Christians had in "the Good Book" was lost -- never to be fully regained.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:17 am
"Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to theflesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as toChrist;" 6 not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. 7 With good will render service, as to the Lord, and not to men, 8 knowing that whatever good thing each one does, this he will receive back from the Lord, whether slave or free. 9 And masters, do the same things to them, and give up threatening, knowing that both their Master and yours is in heaven, and there is no partiality with Him. Col 3:22

"Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord." Col 3:24 "knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve." Col 4:1

"Masters, grant to your slaves justice and fairness, knowing that you too have a Master in heaven." 1 Tim 6:1

"All who are under the yoke as slaves are to regard their own masters as worthy of all honor so that the name of God and our doctrine will not be spoken against." 1 Tim 6:2

"Those who have believers as their masters must not be disrespectful to them because they are brethren, but must serve them all the more, because those who partake of the benefit are believers and beloved. Teach and preach these principles."
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:21 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Rex, Another flaw in the bible; contradictions of one verse in another verse - of the same book.

Most if not all contradictions are in our understanding and not a fault of the scriptures...

Some are contradictions because humans change in the way they relate to God.

Missing just one simple biblical research principle like "to whom is the word addressed" can create a myriad of contradictions. Is is addressed to you or some other group of people? Not asking one's self this question when reading the Bible has let to much confusion.

God may act differently toward one group of people as opposed to another group.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:27 am
In current jargon, that's called discrimination.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:29 am
That's what all bigots do; they treat groups differently.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:36 am
Bible study question for you all...

Who knows what a "Doulos" (Greek) is?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 10:41 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
That's what all bigots do; they treat groups differently.

Maybe people get treated differently because they act differently? Do you treat all people exactly the same? Would you treat a murderer the same as an innocent sibling? Would you treat a human sacrificing pagan the same as a non-human sacrificing Hebrew?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 11:18 am
Yes, I treat everybody the same; I show them respect and dignity. I would treat the murder the same as any sibling. As for human sacrificing, where in the hell do you live?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 05:16 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Yes, I treat everybody the same; I show them respect and dignity. I would treat the murder the same as any sibling. As for human sacrificing, where in the hell do you live?

I live in the present and you forget that God lived in the past and has had to deal with "barbarians"...

I am sure you tuck in murderers to bed every night and gently kiss their foreheads as they whisper their prayers... Smile

Or do your children sleep on a hard steel bed with a thin matress pillow and only a toilet and sink before you wake them up to catch the school bus... Smile
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:07 pm
Quote:
God lived in the past and has had to deal with "barbarians"...

Is that why he behaved like one?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:26 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
God lived in the past and has had to deal with "barbarians"...

Is that why he behaved like one?

Tell me where and how God has acted like a "barbarian" in the Bible... Then I will show you that you have believed scholars and stories that have not been researched correctly...
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:31 pm
His slaughter of the Egyptians and Caanites to begin with.

There is much more.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:40 pm
xingu wrote:
His slaughter of the Egyptians and Caanites to begin with.

There is much more.

Well lets start with these one at a time... thx

His slaughter of the Egyptians and Canaanites...

You will notice there are two versions of the same story of the slaughter of the Egyptians and Canaanites... One is written from a human perspective and the other is written from God's perspective... The story written from God's perspective says the Egyptians and Canaanites "fell upon their own swords"...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:45 pm
"Fell upon their own swords." ROFLMAO. To be religious, you must become a damn fool.
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:52 pm
This is why C.I will never find understanding, instead of taking in what others say as explanations, he will dismiss them as religious fairy tales. It's rather sad...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 06:55 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Fell upon their own swords." ROFLMAO. To be religious, you must become a damn fool.

To be "right" you need to study and trust God. Don't believe preposterous things said about God... but search these things out in the word and find the truth.

peace with God
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 07:01 pm
So your telling me all those Egyptians killed by God's plagues really killed themselves?

And all the Caanites in Jericho and Ai killed themselves?

Right?

That has got to be one of the sorriest and most pathetic excuses I've ever heard.

Usually the cop-out answer is;
"It is not for us to judge God."
or
"God works in mysterious ways. It is not for us to know his ways."

But to say they all committed suicide; like it was their fault?

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Fri 17 Jun, 2005 08:05 pm
Quote:
Don't believe preposterous things said about God...

In other words, don't pay attention to the Bible.
0 Replies