cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:16 pm
Christians continue to screw up the word of god, and they still can't figure it out! That's been going on for over two thousand years, and it looks like it's gonna continue for another two thousand years - I mean discrimination and religious bigotry.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:22 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Christians continue to screw up the word of god, and they still can't figure it out! That's been going on for over two thousand years, and it looks like it's gonna continue for another two thousand years - I mean discrimination and religious bigotry.

Just because someone calls themselves a Christian and starts spouting scriptures does not mean they know the first thing about holy spirit...

The devil knows the Bible too... the devil was there when the Bible was written. It is up to every believer to discern spirits...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:24 pm
I think you've been discerning too many spirits, and not enough reality . . .
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:27 pm
"Holy spirit" is all in your imagination! You call yourself a christian too! What sins have you committed?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:33 pm
Proverbs 31:10-31

10 Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies. 11 The heart of her husband doth safely trust in her, so that he shall have no need of spoil. 12 She will do him good and not evil all the days of her life. 13 She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands. 14 She is like the merchants' ships; she bringeth her food from afar. 15 She riseth also while it is yet night, and giveth meat to her household, and a portion to her maidens. 16 She considereth a field, and buyeth it: with the fruit of her hands she planteth a vineyard. 17 She girdeth her loins with strength, and strengtheneth her arms. 18 She perceiveth that her merchandise is good: her candle goeth not out by night. 19 She layeth her hands to the spindle, and her hands hold the distaff. 20 She stretcheth out her hand to the poor; yea, she reacheth forth her hands to the needy. 21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household: for all her household are clothed with scarlet. 22 She maketh herself coverings of tapestry; her clothing is silk and purple. 23 Her husband is known in the gates, when he sitteth among the elders of the land. 24 She maketh fine linen, and selleth it; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant. 25 Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come. 26 She openeth her mouth with wisdom; and in her tongue is the law of kindness. 27 She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness. 28 Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her. 29 Many daughters have done virtuously, but thou excellest them all. 30 Favour is deceitful, and beauty is vain: but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised. 31 Give her of the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:35 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"Holy spirit" is all in your imagination! You call yourself a christian too! What sins have you committed?

Christians are not christians because they confess their sins... they are Christians because they confess Christ from sin...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 10:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
I think you've been discerning too many spirits, and not enough reality . . .

Hehe only the non intoxicating spirits tonight... Smile
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2005 11:16 pm
Xingu--so when your"true god' asks you to sacrifice your son , you will say....
0 Replies

thunder runner32

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 04:47 am
Quote:
Yeah, that's the stock line of christians whenever confronted by the disgusting enormities of their superstition--well, those aren't real christians.

Quote:

Have you guys actually read any doctrines? We all are supposed to confess that we are sinners and we stray from his commandement. We are not asked to be perfect, we are asked to be humble, to God and to our fellow man.

Quote:

If it is truly from God, I think that I can trust God to handle my son's life/soul.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:37 am
Just got done with "The Beak of the Finch" . Its a non-fiction book, well written and very accessible to the general public. It involves following a group of researchers who have been studying finches on the Galapogos out islands. The thesis is to determine whethre significant species variation can be seen in our lifetimes. The group of workers , in a family, have shown that morphological changes do occur in time frames that we can observe.
Of course the Creationists will plop out some "variation is to be expected within a species".
This book demonstrates that visible modifications can be seen to occur and the conclusion is that, with enough generations, speciation will occur. Evidence and lab demonstration. Makes the stew more interesting

The books about 10 years old but it recently was released in ppbck, so, some good summer reading that accomplishes some teaching as well.

neverclose the mind on what is or isnt possible in biology, try to read all sides (just not in my geology class)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:41 am
thunder runner post
Quote:
Quote:

If it is truly from God, I think that I can trust God to handle my son's life/soul.

I guess my point is, In the Bible , when God asks Abraham to kill his son, is this a factual account? and if it were, what would you DO ( I dont want a wishy washy answer as you posted)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 11:45 am
farmerman wrote:

This book demonstrates that visible modifications can be seen to occur and the conclusion is that, with enough generations, speciation will occur. Evidence and lab demonstration. Makes the stew more interesting
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 01:49 pm
Quote:
I guess my point is, In the Bible , when God asks Abraham to kill his son, is this a factual account? and if it were, what would you DO ( I dont want a wishy washy answer as you posted)

It is not a factual account. It is allegorical. It was meant to be a story that illustrates a point. Conservative Christians can't seem to understand something that complicated. They need to keep it simple. Believing in everything in a literal sense is simple. That way there are no complications from allegorical meanings.

Something like this would not occur because God does not talk to people in the manner the Bible says. Overly religious people tend to believe that every idea they get or every dream they have comes directly from God. If all you can think about is religion, God, Christ and the devil all sorts of weird things can come into ones head. No matter how weird it is they will believe God put all those thoughts inside of them.

And if they happened to do something bad;

THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:09 pm
So, you have a brain with which to assess things like scientific truth and yet many search for the same science in the Bible, proclaiming it as a "textbook". However, in other areas like moral lessons the same god must be interpreted as a bringer of homilies and tricks to engage the believers.
Damn complicated being "of the faith"
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 03:22 pm
Quote:
However, in other areas like moral lessons the same god must be interpreted as a bringer of homilies and tricks to engage the believers.

What do think Greek and Roman mythological stories were, literal truth or lessons for the faithful?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 06:48 pm
xingu wrote:
Quote:
However, in other areas like moral lessons the same god must be interpreted as a bringer of homilies and tricks to engage the believers.

What do think Greek and Roman mythological stories were, literal truth or lessons for the faithful?

Which has what to do with scientific inquiry?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:09 pm
do I detect a smidge of circumferential logic among those "of the body"?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:30 pm
farmerman wrote:
It was indeed factual. (If you believe the bible,that is.) God had no intention of making Abraham go through with the deed; it was, as Genesis relates, a test.

The reason for the test was to give us an understanding of the mental anguish felt by God in the sacrifice of his son.

Otherwise, the incident is meaningless. Abraham and Isaac went to Moriah to sacrifice a sheep. So what?

I don't know if I could have passed the test. I probably would have broken down like the spineless boob that I am.

Then again, God has not chosen me to be the father of a nation.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 07:55 pm
It just appalls me that someone so literate, perceptive and endued with a ready wit clings to the scriptural babbling of an ignorant and hateful nomadic tribe of millenia gone by.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Jun, 2005 08:03 pm
Quote, "The reason for the test was to give us an understanding of the mental anguish felt by God in the sacrifice of his son." I really thought this one was a gem; a self-serving interpretation of what god feels.

A lesson in logic: God creates man so he can suffer mental anguish. A few christians are able to decifer what is literal and what is allegorical. Must be a gift from god. Do they really believe what they're saying?
0 Replies