Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:27 am
Where did I say he didn't say that? All I am saying is that if it is put into the whole context, one derives a very different sense of what he meant by it. He is saying there are differences between male and female humans that are not plausibly determined by culture. How can anybody not acknowledge that? He goes on to agree that what those differences mean can be debated including those attibutes that are not plusibly culturally determined.

I just don't see anything here but scientific curiosity.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:39 am
From the linked article on Professor Summers comments:
Quote:
Twenty or twenty-five years ago, we started to see very substantial increases in the number of women who were in graduate school in this field. Now the people who went to graduate school when that started are forty, forty-five, fifty years old. If you look at the top cohort in our activity, it is not only nothing like fifty-fifty, it is nothing like what we thought it was when we started having a third of the women, a third of the law school class being female, twenty or twenty-five years ago. And the relatively few women who are in the highest ranking places are disproportionately either unmarried or without children, with the emphasis differing depending on just who you talk to. And that is a reality that is present and that one has exactly the same conversation in almost any high-powered profession. What does one make of that? I think it is hard-and again, I am speaking completely descriptively and non-normatively-to say that there are many professions and many activities, and the most prestigious activities in our society expect of people who are going to rise to leadership positions in their forties near total commitments to their work. They expect a large number of hours in the office, they expect a flexibility of schedules to respond to contingency, they expect a continuity of effort through the life cycle, and they expect-and this is harder to measure-but they expect that the mind is always working on the problems that are in the job, even when the job is not taking place. And it is a fact about our society that that is a level of commitment that a much higher fraction of married men have been historically prepared to make than of married women. That's not a judgment about how it should be, not a judgment about what they should expect. But it seems to me that it is very hard to look at the data and escape the conclusion that that expectation is meeting with the choices that people make and is contributing substantially to the outcomes that we observe. One can put it differently. Of a class, and the work that Claudia Goldin and Larry Katz are doing will, I'm sure, over time, contribute greatly to our understanding of these issues and for all I know may prove my conjectures completely wrong. Another way to put the point is to say, what fraction of young women in their mid-twenties make a decision that they don't want to have a job that they think about eighty hours a week. What fraction of young men make a decision that they're unwilling to have a job that they think about eighty hours a week, and to observe what the difference is. And that has got to be a large part of what is observed. Now that begs entirely the normative questions-which I'll get to a little later-of, is our society right to expect that level of effort from people who hold the most prominent jobs? Is our society right to have familial arrangements in which women are asked to make that choice and asked more to make that choice than men? Is our society right to ask of anybody to have a prominent job at this level of intensity, and I think those are all questions that I want to come back to. But it seems to me that it is impossible to look at this pattern and look at its pervasiveness and not conclude that something of the sort that I am describing has to be of significant importance. To buttress conviction and theory with anecdote, a young woman who worked very closely with me at the Treasury and who has subsequently gone on to work at Google highly successfully, is a 1994 graduate of Harvard Business School. She reports that of her first year section, there were twenty-two women, of whom three are working full time at this point. That may, the dean of the Business School reports to me, that that is not an implausible observation given their experience with their alumnae. So I think in terms of positive understanding, the first very important reality is just what I would call the, who wants to do high-powered intense work?

He pretty much says this is the most likely reason for the disparities observed and this goes very well with the points sozobe made and what I was trying to get at earlier. His later comments aside, this seems a much more plausible cause.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:40 am
I find this part of his speech more telling and it corroborates Foxy's view that Summers is attempting to shed light on a problem, not disparaging the female mind.

"I am going to, until most of the way through, attempt to adopt an entirely positive, rather than normative approach, and just try to think about and offer some hypotheses as to why we observe what we observe without seeing this through the kind of judgmental tendency that inevitably is connected with all our common goals of equality. It is after all not the case that the role of women in science is the only example of a group that is significantly underrepresented in an important activity and whose underrepresentation contributes to a shortage of role models for others who are considering being in that group."
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:43 am
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Typically glib Joe, but what the hell does it mean? Do try to argue something of substance for a change.

If you can't understand references to evolution or statistics then I'm afraid I can't help you. It is beyond my means to augment your deficient education at this point in your life.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
And you are able, I suppose, to to argue against the extensive and continuous nature of slave (intentional or otherwise) breeding?

Of course I am. I will issue you the same challenge that I issued to Foxfyre: quote me one reputable history of American slavery that makes this claim.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Considering that there are any number of Americans alive today who can trace their lineage to actual slaves, it is difficult to see how the scale of "regression to mean" applies.

Because regression to the mean works over the course of time. Since we are about seven generations removed from slavery, there has been about seven generations-worth of regression to the mean. Even if there was any kind of continuous and extensive selective breeding of slaves going on (which, as I have noted before, is a dubious proposition at best), it is highly unlikely that anything today can be explained by that selective breeding due to its effects being dissipated over time.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
At the risk of redundancy...glib Joe but your point is? Do you mean to suggest that this was not the way that slaves were propagated? Just what do you mean to suggest? Give us the Haute Couture analysis...please.

Show me the evidence of selective breeding on a wide scale.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Duh? Let me attempt to 'splain for you: American slaver owners may not have had eugenic intentions, but that doesn't mean that similar results were produced through different intentions.

Show me the evidence.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Predictably, you have pounced upon the argument you are inclined to pursue. "Not all slaves were culled by hard field work." Brilliant observation Joe. Now please explain how and when I asserted otherwise.

Your theory does not make any sense otherwise. If there was no selective breeding going on intentionally (which is what you seem to be asserting), then the selective breeding must have been accomplished through some kind of evolutionary means. Presumably, there are two primary means of accomplishing this: (1) when superior specimens breed more successfully; or (2) when superior specimens survive in greater numbers. Without any kind of intervention on the part of the slave owners, it is unlikely that the first condition applied. So there must be some kind of demographic force behind this process in order to make your thesis work. Either the superior slaves survived the rigors of slavery (your phrase) more successfully, and thus were the only ones left to breed, or else your theory has no explanatory force. Which is it?

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Many slaves did work in the Big House, but if you knew something of the history of the time you would know that the vast majority of "house niggers" were the illegitimate children of slave owners or their intended conquests. This being the case, I refer you to my prior statement regarding the two primary means for propagating slaves.

Your prior statement is about as reliable as Foxfyre's reference to her "history books."

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
That male slaves physically capable of enduring the hardships of slavery were most likely to propagate is simple logic. I suppose you are of the opinion that slavery wasn't all that bad and the meek, mild and nebbish Africans had as much of a shot as passing along their genes as the "Black Buck."

So that is your position.

But, as I pointed out before, the population of slaves in America rose rapidly, despite the undeniably wretched conditions under which many of them lived. In 1790, the black population in America totalled around 760,000. By 1860, that number had increased to 4.4 million (source). And that increase was due almost entirely to domestic demographic factors: the international slave trade ceased at the turn of the 19th century and voluntary black immigration was insignificant. Clearly, although slavery was not the optimal life choice, it was good enough to sustain this rapid population growth.

Now, in order to sustain your thesis, you would need to show that it was only the superior blacks who drove this population explosion over the course of 70 years. Frankly, I don't think you can do it, but I'd be curious to see you try.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Please direct us all to a post wherein I have advanced the notion that African Americans, understandably, dominate every major sport today. Try as you might, you will find the contrary. Sorry Joe, but you really need to read the postings before you fire off with your "Iconic Liberal" replies.

Please read what I write before you fire off your iconically lame replies. I wrote: "Using your reasoning, we should expect that the grandsons and great-grandsons of Polish meatpackers and Croatian steelworkers would be dominating every major sport today." Note: I never said that you had stated anything about black dominance in sports, I merely noted the foreseeable consequences of using your flawed reasoning.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
I see no need to restate my point. Try harder to fathom it Joe.I don't know precisely when you became an "iconic Liberal," only that in A2K you are one. Your position on this subject serves as proof enough.

I leave it to others to decide what sort of icon I've become.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Talk is cheap.

And it remains your sole stock in trade.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Where did I say he didn't say that?

I already quoted you, Foxfyre. It was here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1223883#1223883

Second sentence.

If you didn't mean it, fine, you didn't mean it. But you said it, I refuted it. Again, simple.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:46 am
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200308/1061959083858.gif

One of the many gender-biased hurdles in academics
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:49 am
Foxfyre wrote:
But yet you offered zero evidence to contradict my claims; therefore in the world of A2K my claims are just as good as yours.

You're the one who stated that, "according to my history books, selective breeding was common among many slaveholders." I don't have to offer evidence to contradict your statement, since I wasn't the one who made a positive assertion about the evidence. You did. It's your job, then, to back up your own claims.

Foxfyre wrote:
It isn't a matter of statistics anyway. Once the process of importing new slaves from other places stopped, the only way the slave owner had to replenish the 'stock' was via new births among slave in the U.S. and/or buy slave from another slave owner. So requirements for breeding are very well documented and the cruelty involved in that is also very well documented.

What documents?

Foxfyre wrote:
The question remains as to whether the slave owners utilized 'selective breeding' to produce bigger, stronger, more beautiful slaves. It is well documented that a big man with obvious strength and stamina brought a much better price than a little scrawny guy; a well formed, healthy young female a better price than a more frail one. That this would not be considered when forcing slaves to 'breed' seems beyond probability.

What documents?

Foxfyre wrote:
Once black people were free to choose their own destiny, and until the welfare state largely destroyed it, the black family was one of the strongest, most enduring institutions on the American scene. And of course family traits were passed from generation to generation.

Gregor Mendel lived and died in vain.

Foxfyre wrote:
As had been said, until somebody comes up with a study to compare U.S. black athletes with those who emerged from tribal societies in other countries, there will be no conclusive evidence for the theories but only reasoned speculation.

Or, in your case, unreasoned, baseless conjecture.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 09:57 am
panzade wrote:
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200308/1061959083858.gif

One of the many gender-biased hurdles in academics

Indeed. And SAT scores are a deciding factor in what college you attend, which decides quality of education received, which influences career plans, etc...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:11 am
Soz, okay I see your point and I should have qualified my comment because as I typed it, I misspoke. What I meant to say is that I do not believe Summers was definitively saying that differences beween men and women account for the disparity between men and women in advanced math and hard sciences at Harvard, but that possibility could not be ruled out without further study.

On the stats FD posted, I am not surprised at the overall scores or math scores on SAT, but I am confounded at the verbal scores as I would have guessed the women would have outscored the men significantly on that one.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:13 am
Joe writes
Quote:
Or, in your case, unreasoned, baseless conjecture.

Oh well. I suppose you would consider anything I posted to be unreasoned, baseless, conjecture, so have a good day.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:15 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Soz, okay I see your point and I should have qualified my comment because as I typed it, I misspoke. What I meant to say is that I do not believe Summers was definitively saying that differences beween men and women account for the disparity between men and women in advanced math and hard sciences at Harvard, but that possibility could not be ruled out without further study.

On the stats FD posted, I am not surprised at the overall scores or math scores on SAT, but I am confounded at the verbal scores as I would have guessed the women would have outscored the men significantly on that one.

To be fair, that's panzade's data. I'm not surprised by the results as it has been shown that the SAT is skewed in favor of males. I hear they're trying to change that, though.

<edited below>

And, actually, I have to comment on your surprise at the verbal scores. I'm not trying to pick on you, Fox, but that very statement is an example of the societal preconceptions I was talking about earlier. Why would you think that women would have blown away the men on the verbal test? Because you believe that women are good with language and bad with math. It's an old tired assumption and it doesn't prove out. But girls hear this message quite a bit. And I'd bank money that many of them believe it, even if it doesn't apply to them. The idea that could easily be perpetuated (and is by some) is that women are so influenced by their hormones as to be irrational thinkers and therefore not able to excel in fields which require reason and deduction.

Oh well, why bother worrying my pretty little head about it. Some man can figure it all out. I think I'll go eat some chocolate. I'm feeling moody.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:22 am
One of the conjectures on the disparity is that in high school, careful precision is rewarded while in the SAT's it's important to work within time constrictions. Sometimes using guesses on multiple choice quetions.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 10:39 am
panzade wrote:
One of the conjectures on the disparity is that in high school, careful precision is rewarded while in the SAT's it's important to work within time constrictions. Sometimes using guesses on multiple choice quetions.

I can tell you this was somewhat true for me. One of the problems I have always had with standardized tests is the inability to work within the given time constraints. I have a very hard time "letting go" of a problem and find guessing distasteful. I've been able to overcome that for the most part but not completely. I still to this day have a very strong desire to solve problems and have had to learn to prioritize and avoid distraction in order to be functional at work.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:13 am
FD writes
Quote:
And, actually, I have to comment on your surprise at the verbal scores. I'm not trying to pick on you, Fox, but that very statement is an example of the societal preconceptions I was talking about earlier. Why would you think that women would have blown away the men on the verbal test?

Thanks for pointing out the error on the stats, FD, and apologies to Panzade. But my surprise at the verbal scores goes back to my earlier post in which I said I believed women tend to be left brained or verbally oriented and men tend to be right brained or graphically/spatially/visually oriented and I wondered if that had anything to do with giiving men an edge in math, physics, etc. Conversely I believed women in general do have superior ability in verbal skills.

But I am also convinced that men and women are different in significant ways unrelated to physical traits and while I do not pretend to understand why or how, I think those differences are pretty neat.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:13 am
FreeDuck, Your assessment of what happens when a message is repeated has consequences in the real world. A experiment at Stanford was done where the smart students were told they were the dumber ones and the dumber students were told they were the smarter ones. This message was freqently provided to both sides. When they took the next test, the smarter students actually did worse than the dumber students.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:18 am
Foxfyre wrote:
But my surprise at the verbal scores goes back to my earlier post in which I said I believed women tend to be left brained or verbally oriented and men tend to be right brained or graphically/spatially/visually oriented and I wondered if that had anything to do with giiving men an edge in math, physics, etc. Conversely I believed women in general do have superior ability in verbal skills.

I know. That was kind of my point. Even if there are studies to back up that belief in a general sort of way, can you see how young women and girls might get certain ideas from hearing that "women are left brained and men are right brained"? Even if a girl is more right brained or has mathematical ability, she knows that she is a girl and so she believes that she probably isn't very good at math, or that boys are better. It's a very common belief so I'm not knocking you for it, but it certainly illustrates my earlier point about messages we send our children.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:24 am
http://www.theshorthorn.com/archive/2003/fall/03-nov-26/o112603-02.html

"In her New York Times Magazine article, "The Opt-Out Revolution," author Lisa Belkin spells out how "model" feminists are rejecting their career fast-tracks for other things.

Belkin interviewed hundreds of women and discussed specifically a group in Atlanta, all Princeton alumni, who went on to earn graduate degrees from prestigious institutions such as Harvard and Columbia. Only two of the 10 interviewed continued full-time employment even though all of them once held jobs as doctors, lawyers, businesswomen, etc.

Some would assert that if a woman does not cross some imaginary finish line of upper management, it is because she is restricted by a "glass ceiling." These women, however, said they willingly left their accelerating careers.

In the same article, one woman said she was not interested "in forging ahead and climbing a power structure," and "that is one of the inherent differences between the sexes."

It's not that women shouldn't have the opportunity to pursue these things, but some radical feminist propaganda dictates, or at least implies, that any woman who doesn't is somehow a traitor. Recent trends (dare I mention Oprah) have countered this notion, thankfully."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:32 am
Right, we discussed that article here.

My take is that Summers said a pretty dumb thing -- he was immediately taken to task for it by one of the audience members/ whomever he addressed his remarks to -- in the midst of some other things that made sense. I liked this part, for example:

Quote:
Fourth, what do we actually know about the incidence of financial incentives and other support for child care in terms of what happens to people's career patterns. I've been struck at Harvard that there's something unfortunate and ironic about the fact that if you're a faculty member and you have a kid who's 18 who goes to college, we in effect, through an interest-free loan, give you about $9,000. If you have a six-year-old, we give you nothing. And I don't think we're very different from most other universities in this regard, but there is something odd about that strategic choice, if the goal is to recruit people to come to the university.

That is the center of a lot of this. (WHY did those women willingly leave their accelerating careers?) People want to have kids. There is a continuing expectation that if there are kids, women do the majority of the parenting. Since American culture is, for whatever combination of reasons, not set up in a way that is friendly for people who wish to both succeed in the workplace and parent, the primary caretakers often pay the vocational/ academic price.

I'm all for correcting this, and if Larry Summers wants to get that going, excellent.

Thanks for acknowledging that you misspoke, Foxfyre.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:39 am
Sorry about the redundancy. Sometimes a thread such as this is way more reading intensive.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:41 am
Oh, not redundant, just yep, I've seen that. I definitely think it's pertinent but maybe not in the way you intended. A major point of that article is that the current system does not work for someone who wants to both be a parent and be successful in the workplace. These women are trying a new model -- opt out while they raise their kids, then re-join.
0 Replies