edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 05:57 pm
For a People’s Party
‏https://readsludge.com/2018/12/07/dems-who-rejected-corporate-pacs-took-money-from-corporate-funded-newdempac/?fbclid=IwAR1ly3hnCfRKwxirGCKeo_yAE-nXwf5gZJpCq8tmyXGS6et7-xBARwaEItU

@4aPeoplesParty
8h8 hours ago
More
🛑 Folks, a party for the oligarchs cannot ever be a party for the people. Please don't be fooled by cleverly worded pledges about donations.

“Dems Who Rejected Corporate PACs Took Money from Corporate-Funded NewDemPAC”

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 10:06 pm
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

Verified account

@Ocasio2018
13m13 minutes ago
More Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Retweeted Shane Goldmacher
Love that we are now asking this question more regularly.

Disclosing who the lobbyists are in the conversation should be a standard first step in *any* policy discussion.

Amazing that it hasn’t been a more clearly defined, regular practice everywhere.Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez added,

Shane Goldmacher
Verified account

@ShaneGoldmacher
Curious: Has anyone looked up how many of these former senators are lobbyists or work for lobbying firms? https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/we-are-former-senators-the-senate-has-long-stood-in-defense-of-democracy--and-must-again/2018/12/10/3adfbdea-fca1-11e8-ad40-cdfd0e0dd65a_story.html?utm_term=.d8625be63354
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 10:19 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

Quote:
The association is not absolute

Haven't I already played your word games?

Your anti-Semitism is not a word game.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 10 Dec, 2018 10:32 pm
I haven't been following CJ's anti Semitic posts. Speaking for myself, I never paid attention to who might be Jew or Gentile. Many of us Okies had no frame of reference, growing up. By the time I began to notice, many of my favorite public personalities turned out to be Jews. I love them no less.

The Israeli government and a number of the citizens are another matter. Monsters, many of them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 06:10 am
There is a video making the rounds, of a black woman with her baby, until a gang of cops wrestles with her and finally pull the baby away from her. Here is one person's take on the situation:
Mona Bradley: Whoever called the police needs to be fired!! Why after 4 hours and no where to sit with a child the floor was a problem?? 4 hours is half the workday!!!! WTF!!! And she still hadn’t been called to be seen but they call the police!!! 4 hours?? Where the **** is the accountability???
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 07:41 am
https://media4.s-nbcnews.com/j/newscms/2018_50/2678721/poy-horizontal-grid__e289b683d171da6a52265e5e5799e563.fit-560w.jpeg
Lash

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 08:17 am
Interesting ‘divining rod’ being wielded by Alexandria to show the difference between neolib Dems and progressives for 2020 voters: “will you take the pledge not to take money from Big Oil in all their crafty forms?”

Beto was caught lying after his pledge —and is being sliced and diced across Twitter. He won’t win in a general due to loss of progressives.

THIS will be fascinating to watch.

I hope they add pharmaceutical companies.

Because Miami is on the front lines of coastal loss, progressives are calling out Wasserman Shultz, Shalala, other Florida ‘Dems’ for a commitment.

0 Replies

revelette1

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 08:36 am
@edgarblythe,
I saw that, I don't see how anyone would justify it, but there would be some here and elsewhere who would. Like most of the stuff from the usual suspects, (I can't remember where that phrase came from, but it was used some time back by somebody on able2know)I just ignore them as a waste of time.

Why they were wrestling around on the floor with her baby, I'll never know. The worst part of it is that now the baby might get caught up in a legal system and it will take forever for the mom and the baby to reunited again.
revelette1

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 08:38 am
@edgarblythe,
If I had a vote, I would go with either number one or two. (Is two the separation at the borders? If it is, that is the one I meant.)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 10:37 am
@revelette1,
The usual suspects comes from a line in the movie Casablanca. Humphrey Bogart shoots a Nazi, and the local chief of police, who witnesses the shooting, turns to an aide and tells him to "round up the usual suspects," thus saving Bogart.

I believe it became popular again because of the movie (1995?) by the same name.

I agree completely about ignoring the conservative/tory operatives here.
revelette1

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 10:49 am
@Setanta,
I watched old movies with my mom growing up, but, to admit I never really got into Casablanca although I sure my mom had it on, makes realize just how frivolous I can be. I just now watched White Christmas with Doris Day. It was silly, but it was late at night...I found myself humming the song Sisters for days.

Sorry I can ramble about nothing for quite a while.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 10:56 am
I've watched Casablanca. Aside from it being a great movie, I try to not have missed any Bogart films, even the not so good ones. When I channel surf if I come across African Queen, I am stuck watching it for the ----th time, even though I may have something more pressing to be doing.
revelette1

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 11:07 am
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps I've broadened my horizons over years without realizing, I'll look for it on Netflix tonight.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 11:12 am
@revelette1,
It has a somewhat slow start, but given the time it can draw one in.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 11:17 am
Nick Madincea

@NickMadincea
1h1 hour ago
I was just watching the Congressional hearing with the CEO of Google. Who the heck is this guy with a fake mustache and top hat?!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DuJf3XlWsAAxbqD.jpg:large
Lash

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 11:18 am
@edgarblythe,
My god. He’s escaped from Monopoly.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 11:30 am
@Lash,

he is indeed Monopoly Man ...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 02:36 pm
Walker Bragman

@WalkerBragman

Retweeted The Denver Post
Master legislators these Democrats...Walker Bragman added,

The Denver Post

@denverpost
Pelosi, Schumer to meet with Trump, offer $1.3 billion for border wall as shutdown looms: https://dpo.st/2RMOlUU
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 04:16 pm
But we knew this was coming two years ago. - EB

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/establishment-democrats-progressive-medicare-1052215

The united front that helped Democrats save Obamacare just a year ago is falling apart over single-payer health care.

Deep-pocketed hospital, insurance and other lobbies are plotting to crush progressives’ hopes of expanding the government's role in health care once they take control of the House. The private-sector interests, backed in some cases by key Obama administration and Hillary Clinton campaign alumni, are now focused on beating back another prospective health care overhaul, including plans that would allow people under 65 to buy into Medicare.

This sets up a potentially brutal battle between establishment Democrats who want to preserve Obamacare and a new wave of progressive House Democrats who ran on single-payer health care.

"We know the insurance companies and the pharma companies are all putting tens of millions of dollars into trying to defeat us," said Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-Wash.), who co-chairs the Medicare for All Congressional Caucus. "Which I take as a badge of honor — that they’re so concerned about a good policy that they're going to put so much money into trying to defeat it."

The rift could come into full view in the opening weeks of the new Congress, as the party long bound by a need to defend the Affordable Care Act tries to embrace a new health care vision it can carry into the 2020 presidential campaign.

House Democratic leaders already are emphasizing the need to align behind a more pragmatic agenda focused largely on shoring up Obamacare, without peering too far into the future.

“We want to continue promoting the idea of accessibility and improving the Affordable Care Act,” said incoming Ways and Means Committee Chairman Richard Neal (D-Mass.). “That should be the primary goal that we have.”

It's a sentiment shared by the major lobbies that fought alongside Democrats against Obamacare repeal and now want to reap the benefits. These interest groups contend that, after a decade of upheaval in health care, the public would prefer simple fixes that strengthen the ACA over a headlong rush into another dramatic overhaul of the system.

But House progressives, buoyed by voter enthusiasm and a surge of single-payer support among the party's base, have other ideas. Among their high-profile agenda items is "Medicare for All" legislation, an idea until recently on the fringes of policy debates that polling shows captivated voters during the 2018 election cycle, despite potentially staggering costs.

"It's more of a mainstream position than it's ever been before," said Adam Green, co-founder of the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, which maintains close ties to House progressives. "There's this hugely rapid advancement toward Medicare for All — single-payer — as not just an eventual North Star goal, but as something that's increasingly possible."

But major lobbies that fought shoulder-to-shoulder with Democrats last year are working now to derail such liberal ideas in order to preserve the status quo.

More than a dozen groups intend to press their point next year through The Partnership for America’s Health Care Future, a vehicle to combat an expanded government role in health care.

America's Health Insurance Plans and the BlueCross BlueShield Association helped found the coalition alongside the Federation of American Hospitals, the big drug lobby PhRMA and the American Medical Association.

Since then, it's added another 13 organizations — most representing companies with much to lose under a system that shrinks or in some cases eliminates private health care.

Medicare for All legislation would effectively eliminate private health coverage. And talk of greater government influence over health care has alarmed providers that contend Medicare and Medicaid currently pay only a fraction of what it costs to care for beneficiaries.

The Partnership, some of whose members began discussions within weeks of Senate Republicans’ failed Obamacare repeal vote in July 2017, is planning to launch a campaign featuring ads, polling and white papers playing up the private sector's role and warning against further disruptions to the health system, people involved with the group said. Avalere, a consulting firm Democrats often leaned on to highlight the dangers of GOP repeal bills, is producing research for the coalition.

Avalere founder Dan Mendelson — a former Clinton White House official — declined to comment on the firm's work, citing a policy of not talking about its clients.

The Partnership has also received support from Lauren Crawford Shaver, a veteran of the Obama administration’s Health and Human Services Department and Hillary Clinton’s 2016 campaign, who is running its operations out of the lobbying shop Forbes Tate Partners.

“We believe all Americans deserve access to affordable, high-quality health care. But a one-size-fits-all, government-controlled system like Medicare for All isn’t the answer,” Shaver said, predicting it would restrict choice and innovation and put “decisions regarding our health care in the hands of politicians in Washington.”

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 11 Dec, 2018 04:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
You follow Walker! We have to trade some info.