revelette3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 09:56 am
‘I’m Not Going There’: Elizabeth Warren Reluctant To Talk About Bernie Sanders In Interview

revelette3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:03 am
@blatham,
I only hope it actually hits home to some of republican senators. Even if not enough to convict, I would be encouraged if a few showed some backbone and a conscience. Not holding my breath.
Lash

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:16 am
@revelette3,
The smear and run.
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:29 am
@revelette3,
"Betraying your party and helping Democrats make illegitimate attacks against it" is now a form of "backbone and conscience"???

John McCain was the only Republican who liked to betray his party that way. It was always funny watching his stunned surprise when the Democrats would turn around and betray him in turn.
revelette3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:31 am
@oralloy,

Richard Stengel

@stengel
·
3h

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it." The great Learned Hand said those words in 1944, while we were at war. #RightMattersTruthMatters

https://twitter.com/stengel/status/1220691401500975104?s=20
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:33 am
@revelette3,
Mr. Trump will never allow progressives to stamp out American liberty.
revelette3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:35 am
@Lash,
Quote:
“Bernie and I have worked together for a very long time and we continue to do so,” Warren said. “I’ve said all I’m going to say about that.”

You call it running, I call ending a Bernie aides/volunteer driven conflict aided by the media. Warren made the mistake of responding, she learned from it.
RABEL222

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:43 am
@oralloy,
President Trump is stamping all over American justice and is showing what a crook he is by refusing to let white house employees answer questions about illicit aactivities.If he is innocent why does he refuse to let the white house employees answer questions put to them by a legally elected house. He should be impeached for his blocking g the house from doing its duty.
Lash

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:45 am
@revelette3,
She concocted it, leaked it, lied to his face on national TV during the debate, and when it backfired on her—likely the death knell for her campaign—she went silent on it—forcing herself next to Bernie and holding on to his arm during a MLK march 2 days later.

She’s a prolific bold-faced liar.

(Edit: left out opportunistic.😇)
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 10:57 am
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:
President Trump is stamping all over American justice and is showing what a crook he is by refusing to let white house employees answer questions about illicit aactivities.

A defendant exercising his rights is neither stamping all over justice nor being a crook.

RABEL222 wrote:
If he is innocent why does he refuse to let the white house employees answer questions put to them by a legally elected house.

That's his business, not anybody else's.

RABEL222 wrote:
He should be impeached for his blocking the house from doing its duty.

No such blockage. Mr. Trump has not defied a single court order regarding witnesses (or regarding anything else for that matter).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:15 pm
@revelette3,
Quote:
I only hope it actually hits home to some of republican senators. Even if not enough to convict, I would be encouraged if a few showed some backbone and a conscience. Not holding my breath.
I have real trouble comprehending the Republicans' complete abandonment of those most fundamental moral and political principles. How do they imagine they might avoid the consequences? Even if they prize their jobs and all that attends those jobs, how can they justify their personal complicity in such a clear example of national degradation?
oralloy

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:21 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
I have real trouble comprehending the Republicans' complete abandonment of those most fundamental moral and political principles.

Your confusion likely stems from the reality that the Republicans have not abandoned any principles.

blatham wrote:
How do they imagine they might avoid the consequences?

They understand that they do not face any consequences.

blatham wrote:
Even if they prize their jobs and all that attends those jobs, how can they justify their personal complicity in such a clear example of national degradation?

They are not complicit in any degradation. Only progressives are complicit in this degradation.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:27 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
I have real trouble comprehending the Republicans' complete abandonment of those most fundamental moral and political principles.

Did you have trouble abandoning yours? Not a subject you should discuss.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:30 pm
@blatham,
As in the past, dictatorships are created with the consent of toadies. The Republicans are seeking elevation in the future of the trump empire. (he has indicated more than once how he thinks the idea of being ruler for life is good).
Voters are often useless. There's a habit of just reelection of the person already holding the seat or bringing them back after a prison sentence has been served.

When will the people band together and launch the revolution?!
0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:36 pm
@Lash,
I am through with this particular topic. There are more important things to discuss, the namely the impeachment of a man more deserving of impeachment and removal of any president in living memory.

Claim a point.
blatham

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:38 pm
@revelette3,
I approve that message, rev.

0 Replies

revelette3

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:39 pm
'Take her out': Recording appears to capture Trump at private dinner saying he wants Ukraine ambassador fired

Quote:
A recording reviewed by ABC News appears to capture President Donald Trump telling associates he wanted the then-U.S. ambassador to Ukraine Marie Yovanovitch fired while speaking at a small gathering that included Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman -- two former business associates of Trump’s personal lawyer Rudy Giuliani who have since been indicted in New York.

The recording appears to contradict statements by President Trump and support the narrative that has been offered by Parnas during broadcast interviews in recent days. Sources familiar with the recording said the recording was made during an intimate April 30, 2018, dinner at the Trump International Hotel in Washington, D.C.

Trump has said repeatedly he does not know Parnas, a Soviet-born American who has emerged as a wild card in Trump’s impeachment trial, especially in the days since Trump was impeached.

"Get rid of her!" is what the voice that appears to be President Trump’s is heard saying. "Get her out tomorrow. I don't care. Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. Okay? Do it."

On the recording, it appears the two Giuliani associates are telling President Trump that the U.S. ambassador has been bad-mouthing him, which leads directly to the apparent remarks by the President. The recording was made by Fruman, according to sources familiar with the tape.

“Every President in our history has had the right to place people who support his agenda and his policies within his Administration,” White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham said.

During the conversation, several of the participants can be heard laughing with the president. At another point, the recording appears to capture Trump praising his new choice of secretary of state, saying emphatically: “[Mike] Pompeo is the best.” But the most striking moment comes when Parnas and the president discuss the dismissal of his ambassador to Ukraine.

Parnas appears to say: "The biggest problem there, I think where we need to start is we gotta get rid of the ambassador. She's still left over from the Clinton administration," Parnas can be heard telling Trump. "She's basically walking around telling everybody 'Wait, he's gonna get impeached, just wait." (Yovanovitch actually had served in the State Department since the Reagan administration.)

It was not until a year later that Yovanovitch was recalled from her position -- in April 2019. She said the decision was based on “unfounded and false claims by people with clearly questionable motives” that she was disloyal to Trump.
blatham

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:42 pm
Quote:
The latest GOP excuse for helping Trump’s coverup is a scam

Right now, the most urgent task for GOP senators is to prevent new witnesses and evidence from shedding fresh light on the most corrupt act at the center of President Trump’s Ukraine scheme: his freezing of military aid to extort its president into carrying out Trump’s dirty political deeds.

Given that Trump and his defenders continue to insist that this act — like everything else he has done — is entirely above reproach, this is a difficult argument to make, even for Republicans practiced in the most comically disingenuous arguments imaginable.

And their newest excuse is a total scam. CNN reports:
Quote:
A growing number of Republicans are pointing to President Donald Trump's threat to invoke executive privilege in order to make their case against subpoenas sought by Democrats for key witnesses and documents, a development that could bolster Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell's goal of a swift end to the impeachment trial.

As CNN reports, GOP senators are “raising concerns” that a court fight over such subpoenas “will only serve to drag out the proceedings.” McConnell is warning of an “infinite” delay, an argument that, according to CNN, is “gaining traction within his conference."

Bottomless bad faith
First, let’s marvel at the laughable bad faith here. If McConnell doesn’t want any “delay,” it’s because he wants a quick trial to minimize the political damage to Trump — and to his vulnerable members — in keeping with his vow to run the trial in absolute conformity with Trump’s legal and political needs. So this “justification" actually gives away the whole sordid game.

And if this idea is “gaining traction” among GOP senators, what that really means is that they increasingly see it as a way to obscure their real motive for voting against new witnesses and documents, which they’ve always intended to do anyway...
Greg Sargent
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 12:45 pm
@revelette3,
No surprise that such a conversation took place. There will be many others quite like it as well. Hopefully, whoever recorded it will have recorded some others and we'll see them released too.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Fri 24 Jan, 2020 01:33 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
Adam Schiff's closing remarks point to the precise and critical dangers now facing the US

Like we have have to fight the Russians over there so we do not have to fight them here? When is Russia planning to invade this country? What a stupid thing to say.
0 Replies