Lash

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 11:27 am
@revelette3,
That bias is obviously based on his knowledge that Sanders has incredible, peer-reviewed economic plans for this country.

I’m biased toward Sanders for the same reason.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 11:46 am
@revelette3,
Quote:
Friedman has worked with Sanders in the past
I don't think that in itself discredits the analysis. But as always other analyses/analysts would have to be consulted as well.
hightor

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 12:54 pm
@blatham,
Under Trump the unemployment rate is lower than that Friedman predicted under Sanders, had he won in 2016. This is not to compliment Trump's policies but simply to urge skepticism when it comes to anyone's economic forecasts.
blatham

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 02:50 pm
@hightor,
Indeed.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 03:25 pm
@hightor,
Quote:
This is not to compliment Trump's policies

It should be. Middle class income has risen by 5,000 since he (Trump) has been in office. 8 years of Obama it only rose 1,043.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 7 Dec, 2019 05:52 pm
@blatham,
"Mainly" because he's a liberal in conservative clothing

Brooks is the personification of the "conservative" wing of the elitist American Establishment in which he is joined by fellow mandarins like Brett Stephans, Bill Kristol, and Paul Gigot.

When a Democrat is in the White House, they, dutifully, offer relatively harsh criticism so as to demonstrate that the Establishment isn't monolithic (which of course it is), and when a Republican has the office (if he too is a member of the Establishment - GWB) they provide general support but are always cognizant of the need to offer some criticism so that they can maintain their status as "Good Conservatives"

David Gergen is a perfect example of this theater of the absurd. At one time, Gergen was given "favored conservative" status by PBS, and now he shows his true colors on MSNBC

Trump is an (imperfect) populist and the Establishment mandarins all loathe and fear populists because they all loathe and fear the American people.

Any "conservative" admired or tolerated by you and your confreres is no conservative. At best they are people who hold conservative views but who are willing to toss them aside if it garners your approval -- John McCain.

With the exception of Williamson and possibly Yang, every 2020 Democrat candidate is an Establishment drone, including Sanders. Bernie may now be actually challenging the Establishment, but where has he been his entire career since 2016?
blatham

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 08:00 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Trump as a populist figure? There's a much more accurate term for this fellow.
Quote:
A demagogue /ˈdɛməɡɒɡ/ (from Greek δημαγωγός, a popular leader, a leader of a mob, from δῆμος, people, populace, the commons + ἀγωγός leading, leader)[1] or rabble-rouser[2][3] is a leader who gains popularity in a democracy by exploiting emotions, prejudice, and ignorance to arouse an audience, whipping up the passions of the crowd and shutting down reasoned deliberation.[1][4] Demagogues overturn established norms of political conduct, or promise or threaten to do so.[5]

Quote:
Any "conservative" admired or tolerated by you and your confreres is no conservative.
How would you categorize William F Buckley? And could I ask you to name five contemporary "conservatives" as you define that term? Is Trump a "conservative"?

Quote:
With the exception of Williamson and possibly Yang, every 2020 Democrat candidate is an Establishment drone, including Sanders.
Aside from the candidates, would you also label as establishment drones McConnell, Liz Cheney, Lindsey Grapham, or Antonin Scalia?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 11:29 am
@blatham,
From the NYT-report How to Tip at the Holidays, According to Doormen, and Nannies, and Weed Guys, and…

Quote:
https://i.imgur.com/qKBsKBI.jpg
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:04 pm
General Election: Trump vs. Biden

RealClear Politics polls average
(October 17 - November 21)

Biden +9.9

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_biden-6247.html
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:07 pm
General Election: Trump vs. Warren

Warren +7.3

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_warren-6251.html
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:09 pm
General Election: Trump vs. Sanders

Sanders +8.5

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-6250.html
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:12 pm
General Election: Trump vs. Buttigieg

Buttigieg +4.0

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_buttigieg-6872.html
snood

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:43 pm
@Real Music,
Do you remember what the odds were a year out, between Clinton and Trump?
RABEL222

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 12:51 pm
@snood,
Right you are. It doesn't pay to get complacent like we all did in 2016. Let the conservatives do it this election. Just keep in mind anyone but Trump.
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 04:28 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Do you remember what the odds were a year out, between Clinton and Trump?

1. These numbers are poll numbers, not odds.

2. I'm not sure about the answer to your question.

3. I will research it to see if I can find the answer to your question.

4. If I do find the answer, I will post it.

5. I seem to remember that months before election day, polls had Clinton with a significant lead over Trump.

6. I also seem to remember that Clinton's lead over Trump had shrunk down to only a slight lead days prior to election day.

7. Ultimately Trump won the electoral college vote on election day making him the winner.

8. My memory of those events may or may not be accurate.

9. I will start researching to see if I can find more accurate information regarding the question.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 04:30 pm
@RABEL222,
Quote:
It doesn't pay to get complacent like we all did in 2016. Let the conservatives do it this election. Just keep in mind anyone but Trump.

AGREED
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 04:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Damn. Tipping is getting expensive. I'm going to have to sell my dog. I can't afford to tip her and my weed provider too.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 04:54 pm
@Real Music,
As regards RCP, keep in mind...
Quote:
RealClear Media, the company behind the nonpartisan news site RealClearPolitics, has been running a popular far-rightFacebook page called Conservative Country since 2014, The Daily Beast first reported Monday night.

The page, which boasts more than 800,000 followers, is packed with memes celebrating President Donald Trump and promoting conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. One post shows four guns pointed toward a door with the caption, “Just sitting here waiting on Beto.” Another shows teen climate activist Greta Thunberg appearing to pose with the liberal philanthropist George Soros, often vilified in right-wing memes, in a doctored photo. One falsely suggests Obama is a Muslim...
HP

And also keep in mind that RCP has now hired John Solomon, The Hill reporter who was responsible for pushing the Giuliani/Russian propaganda line of Ukrainian involvement in the 2016 election.

Here's a relevant RCP contribution from Dec 5 HERE

I don't have the background knowledge to judge their prior or present polling quality but the above seems likely to be relevant.
Real Music

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 05:14 pm
@blatham,
Thank you for the information.
I will investigate further.
Once again, thank you.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 8 Dec, 2019 05:18 pm
@blatham,
First of all, I wrote that Trump is an imperfect populist. A great many populists have flirted with and embraced demagoguery. Notably, in America, the Know-Nothings and Huey Long were among the latter.

AOC is a populist demagogue and so is Bernie Sanders although his populism is of very recent vintage.

Virtually every candidate for political office attempts to appeal to emotion, prejudice, and ignorance. Distinctions arise when Establishment candidates like Obama, Warren, Harris et al are perceived by the academic and journalistic elite as promoting acceptable emotion, prejudice and ignorance: ie: billionaires are blood-sucking vampires, children will die if the Food Stamps program is modified in any way and the Heartland is filled with pitiful crackers clinging to their guns, God, and racism. When an anti-Establishment candidate (and there are pitifully few who every rise to a level where they attract the scorn of the mandarins) employs this same rhetoric they are labeled "Populists" which in their lexicon is synonymous with a demagogue.

Who are you trying to kid with the implication that you admire William F Buckley? You bring up his name because you must come up with at least one and because he was an intellectual, not a politician. Most importantly, because he is dead. If he were alive today and still writing, I feel confident that he would come under your fire.

Contemporary conservatives (In no particular order)

1) Mike Lee
2) Thomas Sowell
3) Ben Shapiro
4) Bruce Bartlett
5) Clarence Thomas
6) Samuel Alito
7) Jonah Goldberg when he is not succumbing to his desire to be elite
8) Jay Nordlinger
9) Victor David Hanson
10) Madeleine Kearns

I can go on but I can't wait to see what you do with this list.

McConnell, and Lindsey Grapham (sic) for sure Liz Cheney less so but ultimately yes

Antonin Scalia? - Not at all.

Now tells us of your great admiration for any conservative after you have spent a great deal of your time in this forum ranting about the threat of the evil "Movement Conservatism"