ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:29 am
@edgarblythe,
https://www.vox.com/2018/9/21/17888922/beto-orourke-ted-cruz-texas-senate-debate

this about covers it from my perspective

Beto stayed solid and cool vs while Cruz seemed to be getting hot under the collar

the Cuban-Canadian didn't expect Beto to be able to stand up against him

Quote:

O’Rourke’s characterization of Cruz’s backhanded compliment?

“True to form,” he said.

it was obvious who skateboards

(I don't expect Beto to win in Texas, but I think he's bringing hope of change to the state - other good candidates will run for the Democrats because of him, and I think/hope he will campaign for them in the future. If he gets within 15% of Cruz in the general, I'll be impressed)
ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:31 am
@ehBeth,
he sure stuck to his spot

Quote:
Beto O’Rourke’s major talking point: racial injustice
O’Rourke made it clear from the beginning that he is speaking to people of color in Texas. Whether speaking directly about police brutality, gun control, marijuana legalization, the opioid crisis, or responding to his own past arrest for driving drunk, O’Rourke demonstrated that racial injustice is among his biggest priorities.
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:34 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
responding to his own past arrest for driving drunk, O’Rourke

How can a convicted felon run for office in the US? We know war criminals and terrorists can but come on, something as serious as drunk driving!!!??
revelette1

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:39 am
@camlok,
Drunk driving only results in a dui misdemeanor charge, not a felony, unless there were fatalities involved or not first offense.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:48 am
@revelette1,
Quote:
Drunk driving only results in a dui misdemeanor charge, not a felony,

Would you say the same if it were Cruz? I doubt it, you would be all over it.

Quote:

A Texas Department of Public Safety report on the incident was based on a motorist’s description of O’Rourke’s dark-colored Volvo passing him quickly about 3 a.m. on I-10. The Anthony Police Department and DPS reports differ as to whether O’Rourke was heading east or west on the interstate, but both agree that he struck a truck going in the same direction and crossed a grassy median into the opposite lanes.

Police said O’Rourke then attempted to leave the scene but was stopped by the same motorist he had just passed. The unidentified motorist “then turned on his overhead lights to warn oncoming traffic and to try to get the defendant (O’Rourke) to stop,” the report says.

The DPS report described O’Rourke as having “glossy” eyes, slurred speech, smelling of liquor, and almost falling to the ground as he got out of his car.

http://victorygirlsblog.com/beto-orourke-claims-he-didnt-attempt-to-flee-scene-of-drunk-driving-crash-video/
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:51 am
@coldjoint,
Come on, cj, you know that you and rev are simply just two partisans on opposite ends of the stunningly simplistic USA political spectrum, indicative of just how simplistic are the brains of the US voting public.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:58 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Beto O’Rourke’s major talking point: racial injustice

Another way of saying he has nothing new to say but promoting white group and appealing to people he will ignore if he is elected like Obama did and Killary would of. Their focus is on illegals and open borders and it is losing in Texas.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 11:59 am
@revelette1,
http://time.com/5384906/police-report-details-beto-orourke-drunk-driving-arrest/

Quote:
The Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News recently obtained copies of state and local police reports pertaining to the arrest. They show O’Rourke was found intoxicated after losing control of his vehicle on Interstate 10 and hitting a truck. Nobody was hurt in the accident in Anthony, Texas, about 20 miles (32 kilometers) from El Paso. A witness told police that O’Rourke tried to drive away, but the witness stopped him until officers arrived, the documents show.

O’Rourke had just turned 26. He did a court-ordered diversion program and a drunken-driving charge was dismissed.

Quote:
He has talked about the arrest while campaigning to unseat Republican Sen. Ted Cruz. In a recent op-ed , he described the incident as a “serious mistake for which there is no excuse.” He has not addressed the witness account of his alleged attempt to flee.

According to police, O’Rourke recorded a 0.136 and 0.134 on breathalyzers, above a blood-alcohol level of 0.10, Texas’ legal limit for driving at the time.

Cruz has never been arrested, but was once ticketed for underage alcohol possession when he was 17 and police stopped him and found unopened beer in his car.
coldjoint

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 12:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
O’Rourke had just turned 26

Kavanaugh was 17 and his accuser 15. More hypocrisy.
0 Replies

camlok

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 12:02 pm
@ehBeth,
You spend all this time pretending you are interested, Beth, just to score a free bed on your forays into war criminal land. Wouldn't it be easier just to get a motel room?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 12:36 pm
I like that O'Rourke did not hedge on his positions, even if it can cause him to lose votes.
camlok

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 01:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Dems are going to have to get smarter than that, Edgar if they want to win. As lying is as American as apple pie, voters expect liars, and much much worse. Beto should be promising that he will be the best war criminal, terrorist, serial sexual predator, serial liar the US has ever seen, better than Cruz, better than Trump.

That is what appeals to the American voter.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2018 09:11 pm
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 03:29 am
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2016/07/28/corporate-democrats-have-always-hated-left-now-theyre-shocked-learn-we-hate-them?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=socialnetwork

How’d I miss this one??

An excerpt:

Since the 1970's, the American left has been on the defensive.

Facing both an increasingly ambitious business offensive against the core tenets of the New Deal and a Democratic Party establishment that was slowly beginning its rightward shift, progressive activists were pushed out of the mainstream, where they had remained a solid force during the Roosevelt era and through the 1960's.

These consequential shifts were, in large part, due to the changing composition of the Democratic Party's donor base — a base that moved away from union halls and into the lucrative embrace of corporate America.

To justify their rightward lurch, ambitious Democrats urged us to consider the dangers posed by, to use the words of Adolph Reed, "the relentless Republican juggernaut." Simultaneously, the party also became increasingly hostile toward those on their left, those who remained opposed to the corporate interests Democrats were attempting to attract.

"The administration is being run by the far right. The Democratic Party is in danger of being taken over by the far left," said Senator Evan Bayh in 2003, in a comment that captures quite well the posture of the Democrats of the 1980's and 1990's
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 09:11 am
@Lash,
The late 60's and early 70's is when I first began that disenfranchised protest that continues to this day.
maporsche

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 09:14 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The late 60's and early 70's is when I first began that disenfranchised protest that continues to this day.

Oh gosh; I imagine you've been sooooo frustrated given that literally nothing in America has gotten better in over 50 years.

We should all just go back to the 50's when life was good.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 10:17 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I should elaborate. I hated LBJ and protested his war. We had civil rights gains under Democrats, that were not protected for long. New Deal programs were allowed to rot, due to bloated budgets and lack of systematic revue and upgrades, making them perfect targets for the Republicans. I continued to vote for Democratic "lesser evils" and in fact became enthusiastic for Bill Clinton. I thought he was a return to true Democratic ideals and endeavors. Turned out, he was the Republicans' advance guard. All downhill from there. Increments? The very word makes me sick.
maporsche

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 11:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Your voting record makes me sick.

Absolute noting wrong with incremental improvement.

You’d probably suggest that wealth should be built by winning the lottery instead of incrementally saving little by little until wealthy.

Incremental improvement in technology has brought us the safest cars ever. The best technology ever.

Incremental improvements have made the world a better place and I hope for nothing more than millions more incremental improvements.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 12:05 pm
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/09/lessons-from-the-2018-midterm-primary-season.html

lots of interesting analysis of the numbers in there (lots of backlinks)

of interest to this thread

Quote:
5) The “struggle for the soul of the Democratic Party” was oversold. Despite a lot of media talk about ideological clashes between “progressive” and “centrist” primary candidates, there was no clear pattern for who won primaries. Some of the notable “progressive” victories were in safe Democratic House districts (e.g., Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s NY-14 and Ayanna Pressley’s MA-07) where district diversity and generational change were at least as important as ideology. Overall, “establishment” candidates did pretty well; an analysis of all Democratic House primaries by the Brookings Foundation showed 27 percent of “progressives” and 35 percent of “establishment” types winning.

6) There is, however, a new template emerging for Democratic success in diverse sunbelt states that should cheer progressives. The ancient formula for Democratic success or survival in southern and western red states with reasonably large minority populations was to run fairly conservative campaigns aimed at white swing voters, counting on minority voters to play along. This year there are several Democrats trying to break the mold in ways that could change the party regionally and nationally, such as African-American gubernatorial candidates Stacey Abrams of Georgia and Andrew Gillum of Florida–both of whom defeated “moderate” white opponents in their primaries–Latino gubernatorial nominee David Garcia of Arizona, and white progressive Senate nominee Beto O’Rourke of Texas. All these candidates are looking very competitive in their general elections.

Quote:
The primaries were by-and-large encouraging to Democrats. But Republican turnout has been up as well, and November 6 could be a battle of polarized voter “bases” that are roughly equal in intensity. We don’t know yet how well each party has mobilized for early voting, in an environment where Republicans have fought to restrict opportunities for voting before Election Day. The six remaining weeks could be wild.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 23 Sep, 2018 01:19 pm
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Sponsored ⋅ Paid for by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez 2018 ·
Our primary win struck a blow to the political establishment & rang alarm bells in Washington -- but that was just the primary! We have a general election to win, and it won't happen without your help.