RABEL222

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 12:01 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
That description sounds more like you than Snood.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 12:20 am
@RABEL222,
The thumb monkey is at it again.
snood

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 03:11 am
@glitterbag,
“Thumb monkey”

Nice
glitterbag

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 01:58 pm
@snood,
I can't take credit for that, one of the other posters used it first.
Region Philbis

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 02:27 pm
@glitterbag,

please, Thumb Monkey prefers the less derogatory term 'Downthumb Technician'... 🥴
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 18 Jul, 2019 03:03 pm
https://scontent.fhou1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67174590_10220883273418457_1514527054798782464_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_eui2=AeHJlqWgO8ocYlV8_MT1LhKoYyEsvxmGuSBXETTMda_mQswfZXTAVYT0XQ-Y9Y3gSiVwt-NgM_GUQc_6VPcwblz0jlGudZmzf8BguRwDVB9BIg&_nc_oc=AQl0nkvHTerf6ZoOG5fuKbO7JThCkpTdNgn35ooAnqpdBV_wuSyUevX-ER9PhDzBNFW8yp8iPPd4WXgZSKL6JYfu&_nc_ht=scontent.fhou1-2.fna&oh=d7c8a7ee9c3c3d9e961a38cd392de713&oe=5DBAE92D
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 03:18 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Gee, I wonder who that may be...
Lash

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 05:55 am
I’m horrified at what the Plain View Police Project is uncovering. This has got to be a deep vindication for black Americans—like the chats were for Puerto Ricans, and the Wikileaks emails were for progressives. For years, people KNEW something horrible and corrupt was happening, but they couldn’t prove it—-until the proof was spread across the airwaves.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/24/police-facebook-posts-racism-violence-plain-view-project

Excerpt:
On 14 July 2013, one day after Zimmerman was acquitted of the murder of Trayvon – a black 17-year-old who was unarmed – one officer wrote: “Congratulations George Zimmerman!!!! Thank you for cleaning up our community one thug at a time.”

Seeing the perspectives of so many police officers makes me afraid for the future. I think the job is attracting this racist, violent mentality. When the population finally goes into the streets in protest against authoritarianism, these guys will be waiting for us.
hightor

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 06:36 am
@Lash,
Quote:
When the population finally goes into the streets in protest against authoritarianism, these guys will be waiting for us.

Well, the good news is that there won't be that many of them.
Lash

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 07:01 am
@hightor,
Police jobs are going the way of other public service jobs, like teaching. Policing, teaching, and rescue personnel who run toward danger rather than away from it are the most dangerous and thankless jobs. Teaching and policing are facing historic deficits. Hundreds more in Pennsylvania and Arizona will be fired or taken off the street due to intel gathered by the Plain View Police Project.

Re policing: Of course, their lives are at risk, they're definitely not paid commensurate to the risk, so the high quality of person needed to fill those jobs wouldn't touch it -- and just like in the teaching profession, another, less qualified type of person begins to fill those jobs.

I was in first quarter planning this week for all of the English teachers in the school. Over the past 7 or 8 years, because of the teacher deficit, programs have been developed to attract people to the job who have NO TEACHING experience. They just need to have a degree in the subject. I listened to a 'teacher' yesterday who had never heard of several concepts he was supposed to have taught last year and is scheduled to teach this year. Gee, did those kids get a fair education?

I imagine the people skills and racial understanding and respect that a decent cop must possess is sorely lacking in the John Wayne types who are lured to policing primarily by the opportunity to beat the **** out of some Muslims and (insert profane descriptor here).

Good cops have my respect -- this breed we have now? I'd rather be short of cops than live in a society where these guys are armed and dangerous.

This is another reason I'm desperate for a Sanders presidency. He WILL address this meaningfully.
hightor

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 09:10 am
@Lash,
Good cops have my respect as well. And I've actually met some of them. I can foresee a time when law enforcement contracts are put up for bid and private contractors (Erik Prince comes to mind) will be providing these services.
Quote:
He WILL address this meaningfully.

Yes. And I think most of the other Dems in the race are also strong supporters of civil service jobs and public sector workers and unions.
Lash

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 10:16 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Good cops have my respect as well. And I've actually met some of them. I can foresee a time when law enforcement contracts are put up for bid and private contractors (Erik Prince comes to mind) will be providing these services.
Lash wrote:
I think you're right. I'm not looking forward to it.

also Lash wrote:
He WILL address this meaningfully.

hightor wrote:
Yes. And I think most of the other Dems in the race are also strong supporters of civil service jobs and public sector workers and unions.

Lash wrote:
I promise you that none of them will put their shoulder to the wheel on this - and approach it as transparently and meaningfully as will Bernie. They have all hopped on Bernie's bandwagon. Bernie Sanders is the one that pushed these issues to the fore, and is the only one trustworthy enough to actually create change.

I think we've all learned how to detect campaign year promises, how to look back at what these people were doing and saying before the campaign season, and tell truth from lie.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 12:03 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'm horrified at what the Plain View Police Project is uncovering. This has got to be a deep vindication for black Americans--like the chats were for Puerto Ricans, and the Wikileaks emails were for progressives. For years, people KNEW something horrible and corrupt was happening, but they couldn't prove it--until the proof was spread across the airwaves.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/24/police-facebook-posts-racism-violence-plain-view-project

Excerpt:
On 14 July 2013, one day after Zimmerman was acquitted of the murder of Trayvon -- a black 17-year-old who was unarmed -- one officer wrote: "Congratulations George Zimmerman!!!! Thank you for cleaning up our community one thug at a time."

Come on now. What is wrong with congratulating Mr. Zimmerman for risking his life to successfully protect his community from a violent thug?

Lash wrote:
Seeing the perspectives of so many police officers makes me afraid for the future. I think the job is attracting this racist, violent mentality. When the population finally goes into the streets in protest against authoritarianism, these guys will be waiting for us.

The police really should consider refusing to show up whenever a leftist dials 911.
Lash

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 12:38 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

The police really should consider refusing to show up whenever a leftist dials 911.

Many minorities suffer violence and theft, and don't call because of their lack of trust in cops. Jim Crow-era great-grandparents have passed down warnings through their families about the days they recognized the sheriff and deputies wearing the white sheets in their front yards.

Considering that gun happy cops shot a white friend of a friend about a month ago in his home from outside without calling out to identify either themselves or the guy before they shot him--I think I'd rather take my chances. I'm hoping for meaningful police reform.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 01:02 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

glitterbag wrote:

Gee, I wonder who that may be...

Well, I couldn’t remember, but let me take a stab in the dark. Was it you?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 08:16 pm
@RABEL222,
Wow! That's a piercing retort!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 08:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Wow! I got 6 thumbs up! The most ever.

Must be that nasty "thumb monkey"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 08:20 pm
@Lash,
Were you "horrified" that Bernie is paying his staff "starvation wages?"
Lash

Reply Fri 19 Jul, 2019 08:51 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
A campaign isn’t a multimillion dollar corporation paying the CEO a kabillion dollars on the backs of poor peons, but the workers were in negotiations for more. It’s a process.

That’s how it works. All is well.

I hope you don’t think this is in any way as bad as racist cops laughing about killing or beating up blacks and Muslims.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Sat 20 Jul, 2019 01:36 am
@glitterbag,
You stabbed the culprit alright.