coldjoint

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 06:57 pm
@snood,
Quote:
Okay. But why deny something no one is accusing you of?

Because what he believes makes him immune to any human failing, real or not. Or at least it seems that way. IMO.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:29 pm
@snood,
Yikes. I'm not comfortable speaking for another. So this is how I read his intent.

I think Edgar was merely trying to demonstrate that his political preferences are not determined by any other such factors. I think he was suggesting that his position on Clinton and on Harris are free of irrelevant biases. He was, I think, saying, "criticize or argue regarding my candidate preferences but don't presume other unsavory motivations"

Now I'll shut up about edgar's noggin.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:33 pm
ps to the last post...

Margaret Sullivan (boy, was the Times stupid to let her escape) has a good column on the sexism problem that any female presidential candidate is going to face LINK
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:42 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Are you certain that someone has accuse you of racist decisions or misogynist positions?
Folks are misreading what edgar was trying to say there. He wasn't claiming that some of us had accused him of those specific things. He was making a point that his support or lack of support for candidates was based on their political positions.

Truthfully, the genesis of my post comes from my not fully comprehending a snood post. Between my responding here, writing on my book and spending the whole week digging up my yard looking for the sewer pipe, I am a bit sub par at times. Still, I wanted to make those points anyway, to keep the air clear.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 07:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
Don't understand why so many go nuts over something like a simple statement like that. Even some I haven't even seen on the board during the day.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 08:28 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Retreating from the pointed criticism of very specific lobbying group to a vague and general criticism of lobbying in general is a good deal more than a small step backwards.
Quote:
You aren't persuasive here...Wink

Israel is indeed worthy of criticism for its treatment of Palestinians. However they alone must face the consequences of any such decisions they make,
Quote:
I'm not sure I understand why you say this. I'm not trying to share their blame with anyone. I do blame them alone.

and the past behavior of Palestinian action groups and their armed supporters from other Islamist nations, and the open hostility of these other regional Islamic nations certainly provides ample reasons for Israeli skepticism.
Quote:
So here, I agree with the generalized criticism of previous Palestinian behavior, but you link it to "Israeli skepticism' not more truthfully the cold-blooded sniping of Palestinian children.
The reality of what's happening affects my opinion. I still have sympathy for both sides of this disaster, but I am really furious with the movement in this country that attempts to make a crime of speaking out against Israel.

oralloy

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 09:11 pm
@Lash,
Lash wrote:
I'm not trying to share their blame with anyone. I do blame them alone.
For what? They are doing nothing wrong.

Lash wrote:
the cold-blooded sniping of Palestinian children.
Jews have the same right to defend themselves from murderers that everyone else has.

Lash wrote:
I am really furious with the movement in this country that attempts to make a crime of speaking out against Israel.
Antisemitism is bad. We should stamp it out wherever it is found.
Lash

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:01 pm
@oralloy,
Accusations of antisemitism for speaking out against murder are unacceptable.
Olivier5

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:08 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The pervasive doctrinal political intolerance towards non-Muslims of all kinds throughout almost all of the Islamic nations of the world, and the often deadly sectarian discriminations among various sects certainly cets Islam apart from all the rest of the world. 

For a long time, Northern Ireland wasn't any better, and we're going back in that direction now thanks to the low-brow nationalism of Brexiters.

If I were American, it would piss me off that my republic can so easily be bought and influenced by other countries: Israel, Russia... I suppose China is the next in line.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Sprig it, Finn. I'm trying to love everybody. I get criticized for not spending my entire day arguing social media. I select a few to keep my hand in, but I have other considerations.

I only mentioned my voting habits, re color and gender, to head off arguments that I might harbor such prejudices against Harris.

"Sprig it?" That's a new one on me.

blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
Truthfully, the genesis of my post comes from my not fully comprehending a snood post.
OK. I missed that. Thus proving the risk in speaking for another.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:27 pm
@Lash,
Really?

According to whom?

I suppose we are to assume that your call on what is and isn't "murder" is inviolate.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:35 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
One of my Navy buddies used to say that.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:42 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
The first part of my sentence was predicated on my meaning of the second part.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:45 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:

Quote:
Truthfully, the genesis of my post comes from my not fully comprehending a snood post.
OK. I missed that. Thus proving the risk in speaking for another.

It’s risky and generally unhelpful, and please try to refrain from doing it.

Anyway, If he genuinely wanted to understand something I said, he could ask me. But that would require a modicum of respect and a desire to elevate the communication with me to something higher than being dismissive of my opinions.
blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:47 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Lash gets this right. Skipping right past the massacres at Sabra and Shatilla ordered by the IDF and the matter of Palestinian youth getting bullets in the head for throwing rocks, etc, there's this...
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4756436/IP_conflict_deaths_total.png
blatham

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:52 pm
@snood,
Guilty as charged.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 10:56 pm
@snood,
I didn't say I couldn't understand. I said I was under stress and saw it wrong at first, in my haste to move on to something more important. The topic is now closed, for me.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 11:06 pm
@blatham,
Looks like some very favorable trends over time - for both Israelis and Palestinians. Also powerfull suggestions that walls do indeed work - for both sides.

What was your point?
georgeob1

Reply Sun 17 Feb, 2019 11:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:

If I were American, it would piss me off that my republic can so easily be bought and influenced by other countries: Israel, Russia... I suppose China is the next in line.

Have you fully considered the near silence of other Europeans, Hungarians, Czechs, French & ,Italians and Belgians particularly, while the Nazis shipped off hundreds of thousands of resident Jews to a gruesome death that was by then the well known outcome? (The Dutch showed some stubborn resistance, and the Danes - also occupied by the Nazis - simply covertly shipped theirs off to Sweden). Was there any self-protective buying off there?
As I don't see much resistance to either Russia, China or Iran coming from EU countries, I don't think you have much standing to speak on this matter.