• Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,016 • Replies: 11
No top replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 11:09 am
Re: Supreme Court hears Ten Commands cases
rosborne979 wrote:
Will anyone be happy with the verdict?

I predict a blurry decision in which the "intent" of the monument determines whether a violation of establishment has occurred or not.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:00 pm
That seems reasonable. I would guess it will be 5-4 decision and the split will be about the same in the response to it.

Of course there is a long judicial precedence that anything that smacks of one religion being supported by government is forbidden. (Judge Roy Moore's outlandish action comes to mind.) My guess is the court comes out against it. With perhaps a couple of different opinions on the winning side.

Didn't the high court evade the entire "under God" in the pledge issue by stating the person bringing the suit didn't have standing to do so? I doubt they can side step this one as deftly.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 12:34 pm
parados wrote:
Didn't the high court evade the entire "under God" in the pledge issue by stating the person bringing the suit didn't have standing to do so? I doubt they can side step this one as deftly.

Yeh, they dismissed the "Under God" case on a technicality (Newdow was not the parent with legal custody or something like that).

This case involves two commandment displays under slightly different conditions. I'm not sure if they will rule on them individually or together.
0 Replies

dancingnancy

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:07 pm
I don't know -- with church/state issues such as these, there's always such a divide. I predict a split.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:50 pm
I'd like to see the four noble truths monument next to each of the 10 commandment monuments. Perhaps a small statue of Buddha next to each crucifix/cross as well.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:02 pm
After hearing all the complaints about the rise of the religious right in recent decades, IMO, it would be fitting for the court to use the same justification as the majority did in the juvinille death penalty case and rule that the displays can stay.

The left wing of the Court would be left choking on their "evolving standards" rationale. Very Happy
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:19 pm
in the case before the court perhaps it would be more correctly refered to as "de-volving standards"
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:51 pm
Here's a PDF link to the transcript from opening day.

It's long, but I always find it very interesting to listen to the judges make their arguments and challenges. I'm almost always impressed. Though I sometimes wonder what Scalia is doing in that group.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 08:41 am
Thanks for the link rosborne,

I started to post this yesterday but A2K crashed and burned so will attempt to recreate it.

At least we know Scalia is in the group. If you read the transcript you would think there are only 7 justices. We know Rhenquist is recovering at home. But where the heck is Justice Thomas? Anyone seen him?
0 Replies

AngstRiddenGuy

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:43 pm
Re: Supreme Court hears Ten Commands cases
rosborne979 wrote:
Will anyone be happy with the verdict?

News

well after the death penalty decision, I cant have faith they will ever do the right thing.
0 Replies

Greyfan

Reply Sat 5 Mar, 2005 04:52 pm
People may not realize why a lot of the ten commandment stones are on public property in the first place:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/features/3065471

Its all Hollywood's fault, as usual......
0 Replies