Republican Phallus / Femiphobia Theory

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 03:09 pm
And what was exactly "distorted", McGentrix? Was Dr. Summer's argument NOT based on the premise that women cannot achieve the same amount of success that men do because of their mental and physical characteristics?
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 03:11 pm
I couldn't agree more with McGentrix's last quote.

Oh, so true...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:06 pm
What's your take on that, McG?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:37 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
What's your take on that, McG?

Ducat is so full of sh!t that his breath smells.

That's my take on it.
0 Replies

marsh of mists

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:44 pm
The fact is, this article is absolute rubbish from beginning to end. The contention that people hold conservative views because of some deep-seated, unconcious, pseudo-Freudian "femiphobia" (is he too pretentious to just say sexism?) is so ridiculous it really shouldn't warrant a response. However, I will nonetheless bother to respond, in effort to put a damper on the propaganda.

First of all, anyone looking at this with a critical eye can see it's blatantly partisan. The interviewer fawns over the interviewee like nothing I've ever seen this side of James Lipton. His questions are mostly agreeable re-statements of Ducat's arguements: "I see! So what you're saying is 'Republicans subconciously hate women'?". "Yes, exactly"...It's a total puff piece. And yet it tries to disguise itself as a reasoned psychological discussion. Since the interviewee is a professor and states his opinions in a professorial language, using lots of big ivory-tower words, we're supposed to be impressed.

This is actually an attempt to stigmatize conservative views by linking them to a made-up mental problem. What evidence does Ducat give for this terrible "femiphobia"? That conservatives nicknamed Edwards the "breck girl"? That Schwartzenegger, borrowing a line from his own parodies on SNL, used the term "girly men"? Scandalous!

In fact, the major evidence (in Ducat's eye) is the fact that conservatives tend to take more hardline, forthright, uncompromising positions (particularly in regards to terrorism) and liberals tend to take a more tentative and diplomatic route. So a frequent conservative criticism of liberals is that they are politically weak and wishy-washy. Ducat, who naturally agrees with the liberal view, leaps from this to the idea that the conservatives are neurotically trying to feminize the liberals. I guess when liberals criticize conservatives for being too brash and aggressive towards terrorism, they're neurotically trying to masculanize conservatives. It seems that Ducat can't imagine that conservatives take a more aggressive stance because they actually believe it to be, objectively, the correct stance.

What's truly incredible is the way that Ducat and Buzzflash brush away the fact that there are powerful conservative women as well as men. This fact naturally jeopardizes Ducat's theory, particulary because part of his theory is that conservative "femiphobes" naturally fear powerful women (like Hillary). Powerful conservative women like Condi are a wrench in the works of the Ducat philosophy. So he comes up with the notion that powerful conservative women must actually be a mask for conservatives while actually remaining subserviant in the conservative pecking order. Furtherly, while Hillary's strength and power is commendable because it derives from her escaping the conservative patriarchy, Condi's strength and power is detestable because it derives from her embracing that same patriarchy to further her ambition. Ducat's twisted mindset on this is similar to the mindset that sees powerful black liberals as "pioneers" and powerful black conservatives as "the house Negro".

Finally, Ducat's entire philosophy is only defendable if one assume that stereotypical "feminine" virtues such as community, nuture, and discretion are basically good, while stereotypical "masculine" virtues such as strength, might, and independence as basically bad (I stress the word "stereotypical" here--it's Ducat whose equating those virtues to genders, not me). Otherwise, why are all this macho conservatives so perfidious? Of course, I thought the idea that some virtues are feminine and some are masculine went against everything that liberals believe, but I guess I was wrong. In any case, Ducat--in designing this theory at least--assumes that stereotypical femininity is self-evidently superior to stereotypical masculinity. Therefore, he can't imagine that conservatives may just think that strength and independence are sometimes simply preferable to discretion and community. No, there must be something else more isidious at work in those conservative heads!
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 04:47 pm
That's what I meant to say. Smile
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:07 pm
The characteristics and traits are not assigned by the author/professor. They come from a long line of study of both psychology and sociology. What is considered by society to be masculine or feminine is set by society, not one professor. Do you agree or disagree with the traits as assigned?

I think we would like to be able to claim that men are as (insert feminine trait) as women and woman are as (insert masculine trait) as men, but that doesn't mean a majority of the population actually believes it. If they did, there wouldn't be stereotypes of what is masculine or feminine. There wouldn't be characterizations of opponents as feminine as a way to win a campaign.

Forget the political stand of the interviewer. It isn't necessary to factor that in, when the professor is agreeing, elaborating and giving further examples. It's obviously what he believes to be the current political / societal atmosphere.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:39 pm
Good post, marsh.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 06:37 pm
Incredibly well said, marsh!

I find it very dfficult to read that crap, and think anyone would really buy it. It is retarded.

Conservatives are just more realistic--more apt to do the dirty work that they think needs to be done. They're a little more inclined to believe that people can do more for themselves than the Democrats seem to think.

I do think there are intrinsic differences that lead a person to become a Dem or a Rep, but Femphobia??? They're just more masculine than the Poindexters in the Dem party...

No one I know is afraid of Hillary. They just can't stand her. I hope we put Condi up for 08.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 07:50 pm
Yes, a lot of what the prof has said IS psychobabble, but he brings up some interesting points. After the feminist "revolution", I would read article after article about men feeling emasculated, having problems with potency, because of the perceived threat of the powerful woman.

What I believe that what we are seeing here, is a middle American backlash. I believe that the ultra conservative element in our society longs for the days when men were at the top of the social heap, simply on account of their gender.

The right is now pandering to the fears and anxieties of these men. The effect of this campaign is a cult of "machismo", which puts women back in "their place", and restores the men to the top of the pecking order.

Even the focus away from secularism towards religiosity reflects the trend of men attempting to return women towards more traditional roles. It is the religious tradition that clearly defines the more separate functions of men and women.

The professor may be espousing bad science, but has demonstrated marvelous marketing skills.

Lash wrote:
No one I know is afraid of Hillary. They just can't stand her. I hope we put Condi up for 08.

I agree that Condi is, by far, the better choice in 08. I also think that there are many who can't stand Hillary, me being amongst that group.

Yet there is another thing that is going on. I remember that in the 1950s, when few women were in positions of power, they were called, "bitches". What I realized, was that at that time, the only women who were able to rise to the top were those who WERE overly aggressive. Men who showed those same traits were lauded as strong individuals. Now that women are represented in almost all fields, their personalities run the gamut, as with men.

I think that "traditional" men ARE afraid of Hillary, for what she represents........................a strong woman who can play the same game, down and dirty with the boys.
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 09:19 pm
Only quickly skimmed the article and debate to be honest but I didn't really see much worth reading. It seemed like yet another article professing to untangle the complexity of an entire party worth of individuals into a single issue.

Perhaps conservatives are overly masculine and perhaps they are not. Yet each of them is an individual and their behaviour is going to be influenced by far more factors than a single one.

Besides the appropriate clinical term would be gynophobia, an article incapable of getting the correct name doesn't seem worth much from a psychological viewpoint.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 01:19 am
Lash wrote:
I hope we put Condi up for 08.

Yes, the Republican party has done exceedingly well with liars. Why wreck a good thing?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:04 am
I think the general concept is being overlooked. Picking apart the source and claiming sweeping generalizations can't be applied avoids talking about the possibility of the influence of machoism in current policy.

Keep in mind that we have men from the Reagan administration back in power. These are men that were raised in the 30's and 40's.

I happen to live in red state, was raised in a red state and know many more red state men and women that are more comfortable in the traditional gender roles, than I do nontraditional couples.

Most of the women I know expect their husband to take care of them. Most of the men I know want their wife at home, or at least not making more money than he does. I don't personally know any men that would be comfortable with their wife making more money than they do. Why?

I still think the basic concept of the the thesis is worth discussion as to the depth of it's influence.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:24 am
BM

(Very interesting thread, Squinney)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 06:56 am
Dookiestix wrote:
Perhaps you can offer us the actual quotes of what Professor Summer said regarding the inferiority of women in today's society.

Its easy enough to find, Dookie - you may want to take a look at it yourself, as well.

Full Transcript: President Summers' Remarks at the National Bureau of Economic Research, Jan. 14 2005
0 Replies

theantibuddha

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 07:23 am
squinney wrote:
I don't personally know any men that would be comfortable with their wife making more money than they do. Why?

If it helps any, I'm not comfortable with my partner making more money than me if I suspect that they may resent me for what support they give me financially. This was not originally an issue but developed once that occurred in a previous relationship. Until then it was not an issue. Does that offer any insight?

Quote:
I still think the basic concept of the the thesis is worth discussion as to the depth of it's influence.

Perhaps, yes.

One thing you must remember though is that they are an elected government (well, theoretically... who knows with those diebold machines but anyway). This means that they are not a repressive force but rather an embodied figurehead leading society's general trends.

Of course the system of representative democracy complicates that somewhat, but still the issue of machoism isn't merely a flaw of the republican party but a desire within the general public that they fulfill.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 08:47 am
theantibuddha wrote:
Only quickly skimmed the article and debate to be honest but I didn't really see much worth reading. It seemed like yet another article professing to untangle the complexity of an entire party worth of individuals into a single issue.

Perhaps conservatives are overly masculine and perhaps they are not. Yet each of them is an individual and their behaviour is going to be influenced by far more factors than a single one.

Besides the appropriate clinical term would be gynophobia, an article incapable of getting the correct name doesn't seem worth much from a psychological viewpoint.

I have only just begun reading the article - but I think it worth commenting that the author is didcussing a concept somewhat different from gynophobia - which is why he has given it a different name.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:48 am
marsh_of_mists wrote:
First of all, anyone looking at this with a critical eye can see it's blatantly partisan. The interviewer fawns over the interviewee like nothing I've ever seen this side of James Lipton. His questions are mostly agreeable re-statements of Ducat's arguements: "I see! So what you're saying is 'Republicans subconciously hate women'?". "Yes, exactly"...It's a total puff piece. And yet it tries to disguise itself as a reasoned psychological discussion. Since the interviewee is a professor and states his opinions in a professorial language, using lots of big ivory-tower words, we're supposed to be impressed.

I think it is quite evident that Ducat has a partisan axe to grind. Yet one should not dismiss his argument simply because he is partisan. After all, even close-minded, irrational partisans can be right. To say otherwise would be to fall into an ad hominem fallacy.

marsh_of_mists wrote:
This is actually an attempt to stigmatize conservative views by linking them to a made-up mental problem. What evidence does Ducat give for this terrible "femiphobia"? That conservatives nicknamed Edwards the "breck girl"? That Schwartzenegger, borrowing a line from his own parodies on SNL, used the term "girly men"? Scandalous!

I don't think there can be any question that those are examples of speech intended to "feminize" the speakers' targets (although I'd say that Schwarzenegger's "girlie men" remark was more in the nature of fag-bashing than woman-bashing, but the end result is largely the same). There is, for instance, no reason to call Edwards the "Breck girl" unless it was to cast some aspersion on his sexuality. Granted, the speaker may have meant it in a light-hearted or even comical sense, but the same result could have been achieved without the sexual connotations. Likewise, the implicit message behind Dick Cheney's sneering references to Kerry's purported "sensitive" foreign policy were difficult to miss: Kerry's foreign policy wasn't "masculine" enough, it was too "feminine."

The problem with Ducat's argument isn't that he identifies these sexualized references, for they are quite real and readily apparent. The problem, rather, is that he uncritically takes them as evidence for some underlying hostility toward women. Furthermore, he seemingly posits that all of politics, or at least all conservative politics, is driven by this "femiphobia." That, I believe, is an interesting, but ultimately unsupported (and probably unsupportable) hypothesis.

marsh_of_mists wrote:
In fact, the major evidence (in Ducat's eye) is the fact that conservatives tend to take more hardline, forthright, uncompromising positions (particularly in regards to terrorism) and liberals tend to take a more tentative and diplomatic route. So a frequent conservative criticism of liberals is that they are politically weak and wishy-washy. Ducat, who naturally agrees with the liberal view, leaps from this to the idea that the conservatives are neurotically trying to feminize the liberals.

No. Ducat, quite correctly, focuses on the manner in which conservatives characterize liberals. He's right that Republicans tend to use the kind of sexualized references that he identifies (even if he takes that evidence to reach some extremely tenuous conclusions). One can, after all, accuse an opponent of being "wishy-washy" without making any sort of sexualized remark. That many Republicans make those kinds of remarks is, I think, worth closer examination.

marsh_of_mists wrote:
I guess when liberals criticize conservatives for being too brash and aggressive towards terrorism, they're neurotically trying to masculanize conservatives. It seems that Ducat can't imagine that conservatives take a more aggressive stance because they actually believe it to be, objectively, the correct stance.

In a society which still routinely devalues women, there is no point in tracking "masculinized" insults: they simply don't exist. About the closest thing we have to such masculinized insults are criticisms of women who are "mannish." That, however, is not implicitly demeaning of men in the same way that calling a man a "sissy" is implicitly demeaning of women; rather, it is a way of reinforcing traditional sexual boundaries (which are, in themselves, implicitly demeaning of women).

marsh_of_mists wrote:
What's truly incredible is the way that Ducat and Buzzflash brush away the fact that there are powerful conservative women as well as men. This fact naturally jeopardizes Ducat's theory, particulary because part of his theory is that conservative "femiphobes" naturally fear powerful women (like Hillary). Powerful conservative women like Condi are a wrench in the works of the Ducat philosophy. So he comes up with the notion that powerful conservative women must actually be a mask for conservatives while actually remaining subserviant in the conservative pecking order. Furtherly, while Hillary's strength and power is commendable because it derives from her escaping the conservative patriarchy, Condi's strength and power is detestable because it derives from her embracing that same patriarchy to further her ambition. Ducat's twisted mindset on this is similar to the mindset that sees powerful black liberals as "pioneers" and powerful black conservatives as "the house Negro".

The existence of powerful women in the Republican camp does nothing to undercut Ducat's theory. If anything, it strengthens it.

marsh_of_mists wrote:
Finally, Ducat's entire philosophy is only defendable if one assume that stereotypical "feminine" virtues such as community, nuture, and discretion are basically good, while stereotypical "masculine" virtues such as strength, might, and independence as basically bad (I stress the word "stereotypical" here--it's Ducat whose equating those virtues to genders, not me). Otherwise, why are all this macho conservatives so perfidious?

No, you're quite wrong. It's the speakers themselves who implicitly equate the feminine with the bad or undesirable. It is immaterial to Ducat's thesis whether the stereotypical feminine virtues are more or less desirable than the stereotypical masculine virtues. What is important is that the people who make the sexualized remarks embrace that view.

marsh_of_mists wrote:
Of course, I thought the idea that some virtues are feminine and some are masculine went against everything that liberals believe, but I guess I was wrong. In any case, Ducat--in designing this theory at least--assumes that stereotypical femininity is self-evidently superior to stereotypical masculinity.

I don't see him making that claim.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 09:52 am
Good post, joe.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 3 Mar, 2005 10:19 am
So when the french use masculine and feminine verbs, are they demeaning women too?
0 Replies