Ye Olde Fix-it Shoppe

Diane

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:28 pm
Littlek, is that garnage disposal or carnage disposal. Funny, you seem so sweet and gentle--this is a dark side of you I've never seen before....

When I was a teenager, most of the cars were still stick shifts. For my little Chevy, I kept a broken broom handle in the trunk for when the gears stuck. What a simple, cheap fix--just stick the handle between the gears and wobbble it back and forth a bit. I suggested something similar on a date once. It worked. He was miffed and never asked me out again. Those were the good old days, in the late fifties. LOL Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:47 pm
Hnh hnh. and then a bit of hanger unwound...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 11:49 pm
Excuse me, I speak from distant memory. Haven't had a garbage disposal in my recent abode, except as one I bought to install when I redo the kitchen. It still sits in its box not even hnhhing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 06:55 am
Dishwasher and garbage disposer in same kitchen:

Often people I know will use their garbage disposers a lot, but wash dishes in the sink. They continue to use the garbage disposer but never run the dishwasher at all. Then one day they put in a load of dishes (visiting relatives do this) and the dishwasher won't drain. Always turns out the drain hose has gotten blocked up by the flung off garbage of the disposer. It sits in there and hardens. That is why a dishwasher ought to be run on a fairly regular schedule.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:01 pm
Got the new dishwasher installed today. I was in a quandry and if I wasn't watching after my growling dog and nervous nephew I'd have gotten online to ask you all: should I tip the installers? I had only 20s and didn't want to tip that, but I felt badly because I didn't tip at all. i called several people to ask them what they thought I should do, but no one answered.

So, will my building get egged?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:03 pm
Book marking...I somehow missed this thread.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 05:46 am
Here in Houston, I don't tip for such services. May be different with others.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:22 am
I usually don't tip for such services either. In general, the fees companies charge for their services should be enough to compensate for a tip. However, if you wish to tip for an outstanding job well done, then there is no rule that says that you can't.

Littlek, I wouldn't worry about it...you are probably the first customer in six months to offer them a tip. Smile
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:25 am
Did you give them yr dazzling smile lil'k ? That should be tip enuff !!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 07:30 am
Prince got a point.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:05 pm
I do get tips regularly but I don't expect them. If all they did was a normal dishwasher replace and there was an install charge a tip probably was not expected.

On the other hand when I go above and beyond and the customer asks if I can do this, that and the other and I do, I expect to get a tip.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 06:32 pm
Thanks all.... I even stayed out of their way. I helped him with hitting the right circuit breaker and then went into the other room and closed the door. My bro-in-law tips everyone. He tipped the guys who delivered my neice's bed, the guys who delivered their monster king matress (that was actually hellacious for the poor guys), he tips everyone 20-40 bucks.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:15 pm
Delivery folks/installers of household goods often appreciate tips but (from my sort of narrow knowledge) don't presume they'll get them. On some days, I think a nice sane customer who is courteous is a boon.

My ex, as you know, littlek, as I have mentioned it a few times lately, used to deliver furniture for UPS, which at the time had a contract with department stores. Those guys would find themselves lugging an armoire up ninety steps, whatever.

One thing I do remember is they liked the Hollywood flats, the low rent part of the hollywood area of LA best, as opposed to the better-than-thou behavior they met in some parts of town. Ordinary folks giving a few dollars or a Mountain Dew and a smile, or just a smile.

I am not so sure they were allowed to get tips and my memory may be wrong (not prevaricating, it may be). I do know they liked being offered a glass of something on a 100 degree day.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 09:24 pm
Thanks Osso!
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 06:32 pm
ossobuco wrote:
One thing I do remember is they liked the Hollywood flats, the low rent part of the hollywood area of LA best, as opposed to the better-than-thou behavior they met in some parts of town. Ordinary folks giving a few dollars or a Mountain Dew and a smile, or just a smile.

Different city same idea, you are absolutely correct osso.
Unfortunately for me I moved up in my company and I deal with all the high end appliances so I mostly deal with the better than thou crowd.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 19 Mar, 2005 10:15 pm
And they can be soooooo boorish!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:05 pm
Today, I saw water gushing out the door of an apartment. I learned from the maintenance man that it had been unoccupied for a few months. A water supply line to the toilet began to leak. It must have leaked for days, undetected. Finally, the leak squirted water with force, flooding the apartment. It is a smart idea to turn off all water valves in an unoccupied home and to have someone check the premises once a week.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:09 pm
Ouch, I hope it was the first floor at least.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:18 pm
It was the first floor. They worked three or four hours moving heavy furniture and pulling wet carpet and pad.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2005 10:41 pm
yuck.
0 Replies