15

The wall

-1  
Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 06:56 pm
@neptuneblue,
I'm not sure that I understand. Which side of the wall is the wire on? And which side are you saying that the wire should be on?
neptuneblue

1  
Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 07:04 pm
@oralloy,
The wire is on the North side, pointing into Nogales. People can scale the wall from the other side, potentially falling onto the razor wire.

-1  
Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 07:24 pm
@neptuneblue,
I guess I don't know much about the proper use of razor wire. Is that the proper way to use it?

I assumed you'd have it pointed south. But since I don't know anything about using razor wire, perhaps I shouldn't assume.
neptuneblue

1  
Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 07:41 pm
@oralloy,
https://memebomb.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/you-are-a-winner-meme-2.jpg

1  
Reply Sat 9 Feb, 2019 09:47 pm
@neptuneblue,
More importantly, Trump's wall is useless, and only represents his bigotry and ignorance. Most illegal immigrants come through normal ports of entry with a tourist visa. His wall can be bypassed in many ways; it's useless, and it cost $5.7 billion to build, and more so to maintain it. Illegals coming through the southern border have been decreasing for many years, because Mexico's economy has been improving. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/politics/fact-check-trump-border-crossings-declining-.html Trump is just pushing his bigoted fear tactics. 101 greatest lies of Donald Trump; https://www.dailywire.com/news/4834/trumps-101-lies-hank-berrien

2  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 11:58 am
@cicerone imposter,
If Trump Declares An Emergency To Build The Wall, Congress Can Block Him
FACT CHECK: Can Trump Use Emergency Powers To Build The Wall?
In the mid-1970s, Congress passed a law designed to provide some check on the president's power while also preserving flexibility to act in an emergency. The National Emergencies Act requires the president to notify Congress when an emergency is declared and to list the powers that are being invoked. The law requires the administration to provide regular updates to Congress, and allows lawmakers to terminate an emergency if both House and Senate vote to do so.

National Emergencies Act

-1  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 12:10 pm
What are the odds that Republican senators will try to block a Republican president?
neptuneblue

2  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:43 pm
@oralloy,
At this juncture, I'd say a good 75-80%. With only being two years in, a re-election isn't going to be automatic. If it were closer to 2020, the odds would go down. But without knowing who's going to be running on the democratic ticket, PLUS any challengers within his own party, I think an override of an State of Emergency Power to build a wall is quite certain.

-1  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:51 pm
@neptuneblue,
We'll see.

1  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 01:53 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

My point was the option did in fact constitutionally exist. Can't say how the Senate would vote. We can't say anything until Trump does enact the declaration of emergency. Until then we're speculating on speculation for speculception (TM pending)

1  
Reply Mon 11 Feb, 2019 03:57 pm
If Trump Declares An Emergency To Build The Wall, Congress Can Block Him.
. Trump can win the Senate, but not the House. From cnn.com: "And even if (he) got funding, that's the easy part. The hard part is overcoming the myriad of lawsuits that would almost certainly ensue. The wall have to pass a number of federal environmental reviews -- a process that usually takes years and gets tied up in courts.
The wall would also have to be constructed through private property -- especially in Texas -- and those cases would have to be settled in court. Then there's Native American tribal land along the border. Either a deal would have to be cut with the tribes, or the wall would have to cut through a different section of Arizona instead to go around the sovereign land.
So many hurdles exist."