Who's familiar with physics English?: ...evidently makes no difference

Reply Fri 15 Jun, 2018 07:46 pm
The sentence "The fact that the energy withdrawn from the body becomes energy of radiation evidently makes no difference" appears to be a translation and is a bit hard to read.

A difference is a difference between A and B.

My question is what are the A and B here. The grammar seems to tell us: A = the energy withdrawn from the body; B = energy of radiation. If so, the sentence would be correct yet useless. I don't know German. So I have no idea whether it is a correct translation or not.

Thanks in advance

Context:
If a body gives off the energy L in the form of radiation, its mass diminishes by L/c². The fact that the energy withdrawn from the body becomes energy of radiation evidently makes no difference, so that we are led to the more general conclusion that

The mass of a body is a measure of its energy-content; if the energy changes by L, the mass changes in the same sense by L/9 × 1020, the energy being measured in ergs, and the mass in grammes.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,269 • Replies: 6
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
mark noble

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 01:20 pm
@oristarA,
All bollux - Research Nassim Haramein. Academia is crap.
layman
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2018 03:49 pm
@oristarA,
oristarA wrote:

The sentence "The fact that the energy withdrawn from the body becomes energy of radiation evidently makes no difference" appears to be a translation and is a bit hard to read.

A difference is a difference between A and B.

My question is what are the A and B here. The grammar seems to tell us: A = the energy withdrawn from the body; B = energy of radiation. If so, the sentence would be correct yet useless. I don't know German. So I have no idea whether it is a correct translation or not.

Thanks in advance

Context:
If a body gives off the energy L in the form of radiation, its mass diminishes by L/c². The fact that the energy withdrawn from the body becomes energy of radiation evidently makes no difference, so that we are led to the more general conclusion that

The mass of a body is a measure of its energy-content; if the energy changes by L, the mass changes in the same sense by L/9 × 1020, the energy being measured in ergs, and the mass in grammes.

Source

His ultimate conclusion is this:

Quote:
...radiation conveys inertia between the emitting and absorbing bodies.

With respect to the part you're quoting, I take him to simply be saying that it makes no difference that one form of energy being conveyed is kinetic and the other is radiant. Either way inertia is "conveyed." One might be tempted to conclude that, because the "types" of energy being converted are different, then the formulas he is suggesting might not apply. But, he says, it makes no difference.
oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 02:56 am
@layman,
A rather reasonable explanation.

Thank you Layman.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Fri 22 Jun, 2018 03:11 am
@mark noble,
mark noble wrote:

All bollux - Research Nassim Haramein. Academia is crap.

That is from one of the most important papers by Albert Einstein. Countless experiments have proved Einstein's mass-energy equation there to be correct.

You idiot.
mark noble

Reply Tue 7 Aug, 2018 08:54 am
@oristarA,
All wrong.

Everything built upon false foundations is false, other than unto that which has an investment in, said, foundations.

Shall we discuss 'Falsities'?

oristarA

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2018 07:36 pm
@mark noble,

You're now exactly standing on a false foundation in this case and that is why you are wrong. Scientific reports today continue to confirm Einstein.
0 Replies