Does anyone know how to get rid of fiberglass from clothes and a bedroom?? Specifically mattress gla

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2018 06:03 pm
My best friend and her boyfriend from America had a mattress that spread fiberglass all over their room and the walls, the curtains, their clothes, the TV, everything got effected. They've also been breathing it in which doesn't help. They've been cleaning/washing it all day and it just keeps multiplying and they're really upset so if ANY help i would really appreciate some suggestions on ways to help them out!

roger

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2018 10:19 pm
@MyNameIsJoeShaw,
Compressed air might do the job. I have trouble imagining a mattress filled with fiber glass, though.
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 02:09 pm
@MyNameIsJoeShaw,
First thing I would do would be to get a cheap, (like $3 or less), plastic painting dropcloth and wrap the mattress up. Then put the fitted sheet over it so no more fiberglass or anything else can get in the room from the mattress. This will prevent the fiberglass from multiplying.

Put on a face mask, and start vacuuming up every surface in the room. Almost every vacuum cleaner, even the upright ones, has an inlet where you can insert a hose with an attachment to clean walls, curtains, etc. If your vacuum cleaner doesn't have a hose or attachment, frequently a vacuum cleaner store will have them in various sizes. I think Singer still has stores in malls, not sure.

Finally, at the end of it all, spray some water mist into the air so it will cause whatever dust is floating around to come to the floor and then vacuum that up. That's on old trick people spray painting cars use before they start.

That ought to do it.
roger

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2018 04:52 pm
@Blickers,
Blickers wrote:

Finally, at the end of it all, spray some water mist into the air so it will cause whatever dust is floating around to come to the floor and then vacuum that up. That's on old trick people spray painting cars use before they start.

Great idea. I never thought of that.
chai2

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2018 08:48 am
@roger,
I’d bite the bullet and get another mattress.

Fiberglass in the lungs?
0 Replies