farmerman

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
I see tha Melindas doesnt just pump out that its 10 X N^9 scoville units per gram. Thats good. Habenero peppers can cause a man to fear his penis for many hours after cutting the peppers. Lest ou touch your johnson with 400000 scovilles.
You guys know what Im talkin aout.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:26 pm
I like chipotle hot. And hatch green chili hot. And, wasabi hot. I like horseradish mustard best.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:29 pm
I make my own hotsauce, called "Homemade Heat". I like it best on eggs, rice, and cottage cheese. Now that I've lost my garden to urban decay, I need to find another source for fresh, hot red peppers.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 07:41 pm
farmerman wrote:
Habenero peppers can cause a man to fear his penis for many hours after cutting the peppers. Lest ou touch your johnson with 400000 scovilles.
You guys know what Im talkin aout.

Even worse is putting in contacts. Even if it is three hours later and you have washed your hands several times. Ok maybe not worse but in the same ballpark.

cjhsa wrote:
I make my own hotsauce, called "Homemade Heat".

I have tried but end up with salsa instead of hot sauce. I can't get the consistency right.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:05 pm
Farmerman, I am a chile addict, even to the point of eating them as snacks. I've never had any repurcusions througth the bladder. I've heard that sometimes one may suffer anal terrors from excessive ingestion of chiles. So far I've been spared. I'm going to order some of Melinda's Habanero sauce out of curiority.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:20 pm
JLNobody, not through the bladder more of a topical issue.

The Melinda's XXXX Reserve is a good hot with flavor. The chipotle is also good but not very hot.

It sounds like you like the hot stuff so you may want to try the habenero BBQ sauce, that packs in some heat.

I had a Nawlin's style NYE party and made a pizza using the BBQ sauce as a base, with blackened chicken, bermuda onion, topped with pepperjack cheese. That turned out awesome. My friends were all grinning with watery eves
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:25 pm
HMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.
I throw a hot chile into my mouth, like a bungy jumper jumping off a bridge, and I gladly suffer/relish the experience, whatever it is.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:28 pm
To make hot sauce, just get a whole bunch of fresh red cayenne, serrano, and maybe even some jalapenos. Put 'em in a blender, whole. Add a goodly amount of plain salt, and white vinegar. Blenderize.

Pour it off into jars and let it sit for a few weeks, stirring every so often. Then, drain it through a fine sieve and put it back in the jars. Store in the fridge.

You could get fancy during the initial aging process and throw in some oak chips, but I never do.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:31 pm
I did a little research on pastrami and mayo. The katzdeli.com website is horrible but they are the kings of pastrami. They say "ask for mayo at your own peril". So, apparently, they agree with Dys.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:36 pm
Shocked Just the thought of bottled mayonnaise makes me want to retch. Tell me, why do people like & eat it? It's a mystery.Confused <shudder>
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 08:36 pm
cjhsa wrote:
To make hot sauce, just get a whole bunch of fresh red cayenne, serrano, and maybe even some jalapenos. Put 'em in a blender, whole. Add a goodly amount of plain salt, and white vinegar. Blenderize.

Pour it off into jars and let it sit for a few weeks, stirring every so often. Then, drain it through a fine sieve and put it back in the jars. Store in the fridge.

You could get fancy during the initial aging process and throw in some oak chips, but I never do.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:00 pm
Sounds like a great hot sauce! Funny I've never tried to grow peppers here (in FL); I really should as I like 'em more every year.

My favorite condiment is a mild hot sauce made from aged Cayenne peppers & vinegar...it's not screaming hot, won't make you sweat, but many years ago I started using it instead of Ketchup, and never looked back. No brand names, I go by ingredients....aged red Cayenne peppers, vinegar, salt. That's it.

Mayonnaise looks too much like pus for me to even think about eating it.

Every year I like more spicy foods....I wouldn't touch 'em in my teens, now in my 40's I crave 'em. Anybody else like this?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 06:11 am
jl, let me reiterate. When cutting very hot chiles one often has to wash ones hands with acetone to get rid of the remaining capsicum. Otherwise , if I have to take a whizz, I get 3rd degree weiner welts. Its very unpleasant.
Habeneros are a WMD , I like hot but it is merely an accompaniment for the tangy flavor. For that reason I prefer scotch bonnet peppersas my hottest. Habeneros can be used to lob into enemy bunkers .
A jalepeno, when ripe , actually has a very nice flavor, and at some of the mexican food stores (we have a large population because of all the mushroom farms) some of the proprietors actually smoke their peppers like chipotles and anjos and the very big Sandias. Weve been taught to make a chicken mole and steam a big Sandia to open and reconstitute. Then we scrape off the seeds and lay this on top of the chicken and then put a fried egg on top. Its a lovely combination , like an eggs benedict with mole, red pepper sheet, and chicken instead of canadian bacon, bernaise and cheezewhiz.
In fact, I usually put 2 eggs on top of mine .

Hot foods are an acquired taste , but never are they done to macho excess. I once watched a bunch of biker buds eat a bunch of habeneros for a "double dog dare" thing. One of the guys had to go to the hospital. His biker name was, thereafter "dipshit"
0 Replies

Mrs Buttercup Cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 08:41 am
Butter...no Parkay...
Viv, you asked what Parkay is. How young are you? Parkay is Kraft's brand of margarine. There used to be a great commercial where the Parkay tub would say "butter" over and over until the end user, um, er, consumer would say "okay, butter", and then the tub would slyly say "Par-KAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY".

As for "fry sauce", you know that's the Nasty Clown's secret sauce, right? Well, technically it's 1000 Island Dressing (ketch/cats-up with mayo and sweet pickle relish).

As for the "real butter" on the fake sandwich...why? If you have fake bread and fake cheese, why use real butter? Confused

And ehBeth, the next time you're up in St. Jacobs, they sell these awesome Wasabi-covered peanuts at the Mennonite market. Confused Laughing Yes, you read correctly. Canadian Mennonites have discovered the joys of wasabi. Cav loved those damned things. Clear up any type of sinus infection you have with 2 bites, I tell you whut. I'm not sure if you can get them at the US Mennonite markets, though. And they're not just lightly coated, like the peas. These are horking round green balls of wasabi with a peanut inside, kinda like a Wasabi Tootsie Roll without the lollipop stick. It's worth the drive to St. Jacobs...

All of this spicy stuff sounds great, but I have a pepper allergy. I cannot eat any pepper with a skin. I can have ground black pepper but that's a spice. I can't have anything that comes from the plant. We didn't have a lot of peppers in the house, and whenever Cav had to roast peppers for his famous roasted red pepper soup, I used to have a girls night out, even if it was Tuesday.

Finally, why do people eat mayo from a jar? Cav answered that for me, because he had to figure out why the heck I ate it. SUGAR. There is sugar in commercial mayo. Even though it's an Atkins-friendly food, the manufacturers put a pinch of sugar in there just to get you hooked. Cav did this experiment one day. He made me mayo with sugar and without sugar, and then we did a taste test. I said the one with sugar (just a pinch, mind) was Hellman's. He proved his point. Very Happy

What I will never, never ever, never ever EVER understand are those people who eat Miracle Whip. Miracle Whip is neither a Miracle nor a Whip. Discuss... Arrow
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 08:49 am
the talking tub

Buttercup - Viv's brit, so probably/maybe hasn't seen this ad. You are OLD if you remember this ad Cool

<NOT>

(and it's your fault I'm having melted cheese on toast this morning - see breakfast thread)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:28 am
Hello Buttercup,

I'm with you all the way on Miracle Whip. Nasty, nasty stuff. We were visiting my husband's grandparents last year and my daughter made herself an egg salad sandwich using the only 'mayo' in the house. She took one bite and made a face like you can imagine. She didn't know what to do with the slop in her mouth. She's 14 and very dramatic but didn't want to make a scene in front of her great-grandmother. She had stopped chewing and just sat there with her eyes getting bigger by the moment debating between spitting it out or trying to swallow it. Swallowing finally won out but the rest of the sandwich went into the trash even if she had to get the 'think of all the starving people around the world' speech from ggma.

I use real butter on fake sandwiches too. I just don't want to buy margerine and butter so I only have butter in the house. I stopped buying fake bread a few years ago. The first time I made the girls grilled cheese sandwiches with whole wheat bread they accused me of ruining their lives. They've adjusted. I still buy them fake cheese.

I had to laugh at your description of the wasabi peas, 'horking' is one of Mr B's words that gets a laugh every time.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:40 am
Re: Butter...no Parkay...
Mrs_Buttercup_Cavfancier wrote:

These are horking round green balls of wasabi with a peanut inside, kinda like a Wasabi Tootsie Roll without the lollipop stick. It's worth the drive to St. Jacobs...

wondering if these would make a good little treat to take to A2K'rs when I go to New York
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 10:44 am
Buttercup, the Parkay reminds me of the old "Chiffon" commercial which sis & I loved to make fun of as kids..."If you think it's butter, but it's snot, it's...Chiffon..."

I didn't know one could be allergic to peppers! You poor kitten....personally I like white pepper way better than black. I read somewhere they're the same thing, but at different stages of ripeness....I think.

Never knew Mayo had sugar in it! Sure explains a lot.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:39 pm
I like Miracle Whip on turkey sandwiches as an occasional alternative to plain mayo, but I hardly ever have it in my fridge.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sat 26 Feb, 2005 01:40 pm
White pepper is black pepper with the outer shell removed.
0 Replies