Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:12 pm
ok so it's weird enough that the lady Diane keeps ketchup in the fridge and actually uses it on food but now, I have a guest in the house ( a fellow traveler on the a2k road to oblivion) that actually made a pastrami sandwich last night using mayonnaise. I may suicide (right after breakfast)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,350 • Replies: 103
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:13 pm
was it worse then the tofu?
;-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 24 Feb, 2005 12:17 pm
Hee Hee. Sounds like a meal even ketchup can't save.
0 Replies

Mrs Buttercup Cavfancier

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:44 am
What's wrong with that?
Okay, I know I definitely don't have Cav's food talent -- nobody ever will. And I'm sure he told you about my bizarre food likes/dislikes. If not, well, I'm afraid I'm about to shock a lot of people.

What's wrong with pastrami with mayo? I put mayo (it has to be REAL mayo; Hellman's is the closest to "fake" mayo I will eat. Cav's mayo was the BEST, and then maybe Jamie Kennedy's Jamie Kennedy the Canadian Chef) on ALL of my sandwiches. Except peanut butter, but anything with deli meat or flaked fish for sure. Even cheese sandwiches, though I don't really eat a lot of those.

So go ahead and be in shock -- Mrs. Cav's a junk food junkie. Shocked I also enjoy french fries and vanilla ice cream, Campbell's Alphabet Soup, and the only true Grilled Cheese sandwich is made with White Wonder Bread, Kraft Singles, and lots of Parkay fried at a local greasy spoon...with EXTRA ketchup!!

(That doesn't mean to say that I didn't love the foie gras pates that Cav made for me -- they were the best, but hey, you can't eat foie gras every day...not even if you live in France!)

:wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:55 am
I just spent two days in Brussels. We had mussels with french fries and mayo. Very interesting combination and not at all as bad as I thought. I could do without the mayo, though...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:11 pm
"...the only true Grilled Cheese sandwich is made with White Wonder Bread, Kraft Singles, and lots of Parkay..."

Right on, sister! In my neck of the woods we call that sandwich a "see-through" and are they ever good.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:23 pm
I may just join Dys and retch.

(Although Buttercup gets points for insisting on real mayp. The stuff you buy in jars is good for greasing your feet afore you slip 'em into your boots if you're not wearing socks.)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm
good taste is timeless
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:27 pm
Buttercup, I LOVE mayonaise, but due to a troubled cholesterol level (now under control, thank you), it is on my taboo list. I don't like any substitute (Hellman's, nayonaise, etc.), BUT I've discovered a heart-friendly substitute that is--to me at least--VERY delicious. It's VEGENAISE,made with grape-seed oil and sold in some Fry's, WholeFoods, and elsewhere I presume.
Dyslexia, your house guest seems like a liberated soul. Whatever you do, follow her example in all things. Smile
But I do prefer my pastrami with mustard.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:39 pm
Mayonnaise is a poor man's hollandaise sauce, yawl. If you want something delicious with minimum risk, try fresh apricot halves on a bed of fresh spinach leaves, with just a dollop of REAL mayo.

We are what we eat? Nope, we eat what we are.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:28 pm
Letty wrote:

We are what we eat? Nope, we eat what we are.

So does that make us all virtual cannibals?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:38 pm
Andrew, you funny thing. Actually, I had in mind the cravings that a person goes through when the body makes demands.

I have had this insatiable craving for fresh fruit, of late. I must need ascorbic acid.

Buttercup, I must confess that I had four candy bars in one day, and I am glucose intolerant. I guess it was the case of forbidden fruit. Razz
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 02:55 pm
I can see the problem with Mayo, but what is wrong with ketchup?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:01 pm
Here's one explanation, King Tut.

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/FOOD_IS_ART/cliff/ketchup.html
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:14 pm
Thank you for that wonderful link, Letty! Now that I think of, I don't believe I have a bottle of ketchup in my kitchen. Can't imagine what I'd use it for. I do have four different kinds of 'hot sauce', as well as the standard Worcestershire and soy sauce, cider vinegard and extra virgin olive oil. I do use ketchup on french fries on those rare occasions that I have to grab a quick lunch on the run in a greasy spoon. Can't imagine what other use this thick tomato concoction could possibly have.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:26 pm
I'm with Lady Di, it belongs in every refigerator.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 03:28 pm
Letty Laughing Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 04:04 pm
Dys, this has turned into a delightful thread. Thanks for the smile.

And Acquiunk, You do know about the mayo clinic, I assume. That's where they send somebody who is watching their cholesterol like Nobody is trying to do. Razz
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 04:40 pm
Letty, I've always assumed that Hollandaise sauce is mayonaise for the rich Laughing .
Ketchup has too much sugar, but has lycopene (to protect men against prostate cancer), and mustard has lots of tumeric, an anti-inflammatory food. I LOVE mustard, even by itself, and I love ketchup on scrambled eggs, but never in any kind of sandwich (if anyone cares).
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 04:43 pm
boomerang wrote:
"...the only true Grilled Cheese sandwich is made with White Wonder Bread, Kraft Singles, and lots of Parkay..."

Right on, sister! In my neck of the woods we call that sandwich a "see-through" and are they ever good.

sorry real butter here Rolling Eyes
0 Replies