Would you go back to college at 24 ?

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 06:23 pm
I intend to get the Canada citizenship soon and beside of having the chance of studying in my country my parents decided it was a better idea for me to come here to improve english and a chance of experience different stuff after I drop off amn IT College. I decided to stay because country is financially better than mine and after a 2 years got myself 7 years older girlfriend that would support me if I decide to go back to college.
The problem is that I never studied hard at high school and did not finish the college back there in IT programming because I would fail again in one of the courses and actually bother me how other could do it and I was not able to understand the logic of it. I was never a book reader and neither a art lover myself and for all that I have been feeling pretty bad for the last weaks. Because of my life experiences I never tried much of sports and either had great friendships to really talk about everything of life so I am also not a great speaker or seller. I fell that I am kind of old to leave the construction field I got into after the need of money to support myself alone in the city, to adventure in this new world and put myself and her in debt to something I really have to strike this time. really confused and lost so any advice would help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 1,289 • Replies: 9
No top replies

chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 06:55 pm
@gioppl25,
You've had time to put what the issues are/were, which is insightful.

If you don't go back when you are obviously wanting to, you may always look back and wish you did. Are you are prepared to live with any regrets like that?

Not trying is an automatic fail.

You understand what was less than optimum the first time around, and perhaps you owe it to yourself to this time make the effort and persevere.

Bottom line, 24 is nowhere near "to old" to go back to school.

People do so in their 30's, 40's, 50's and beyond.

Good luck.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 07:09 pm
@gioppl25,
At 24 years old, you will be in good company. Also, you're much more likely to take education seriously. You might be surprised at how well you do, and how much more you expect of yourself.
chai2

Reply Thu 17 May, 2018 07:16 pm
@roger,
Exactly.
When I went back a few years after graduation, my attitude and concentration were completely different.

Our OP, with the skills he has learned in the work force may find it much more rewarding and interesting.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 04:48 pm
@gioppl25,
I got my MS 2 years ago. I was 53 years old. It's never too late - and you are usually A LOT more into it when you're older (agreeing with the previous posters).
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 05:01 pm
@gioppl25,
I finished my undergraduate degree (I took a little longer than necessary because I wanted to take some extra courses for a job certification) when I was 29. It was the best decision I could have made.

My first attempt at college failed. I had too many other things going on and after 2 years I decided to leave (I think I would have been told to leave). I was good at computers so I got a pretty good job. After working 5 or 6 years, I realized that although I was doing good work in a software company, I had hit a ceiling.

So I went back when I was 26. The years working did the trick, I came back with far more discipline, motivation and maturity. I literally more than doubled my GPA between my first attempt at college and my second (think about that for a moment).

Without question, for me, going back to college when I more mature and ready to be serious was a very good decision.
0 Replies

neptuneblue

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 06:24 pm
@gioppl25,
gioppl25 wrote:

I fell that I am kind of old to leave the construction field

You're too old to STAY in the construction field. Achy joints, broken toes, fingers, cuts, bruises, heavy material, seasonal work and then layoffs.

Give yourself a future, go to school.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 May, 2018 10:02 pm
@gioppl25,
Don't let your age hinder you from continuing your education. What matters is to learn the skills necessary to do the job well. I got my college education after I spent four years in the USAF, and there were students older than me. I was lucky, because I was at the right place at the right time. I had four job offers before I even graduated with a degree in Accounting. I went to work for Florsheim Shoe Company as a Field Auditor in the seven western states, and after 3.5 years, the company promoted me to Audit Manager. I worked in management and did consulting for the rest of my working career. I was able to retire early, and have traveled extensively. As a matter of fact, I made a list of the countries I visited today, because I had thought for awhile that I visited 88 countries, but it turns out I visited 117 countries. *According to the Century Traveler's Club, the Vatican is considered a unique destination, and is counted in addition to Italy.
I got hooked on travel when I was in the USAF, because I was stationed in Morocco for one year, and that gave me the opportunity to visit Madrid, Paris and London. The travel bug bit me big time! Work hard, but also enjoy life doing what you love to do.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 12:49 am
You can certainly go back to school, that's a good thing. Depending on a girlfriend to support you is less than good, that support could disappear....figure out a plan B to stay in school if your girlfriend is unable to support you. I don't know anything about programs in Canada but several Canadians post on this forum and might have suggestions for you. Good Luck

0 Replies

FOUND SOUL

Reply Sat 19 May, 2018 02:20 am
@gioppl25,
The most successful people in life, kept trying, fell and then tried again and eventually succeeded.

I did a course to own a Real Estate Company at 40 years of age, was I worried? Yes, lots of Legal stuff what would i know. But, I passed.

At 53, I did a Course, to be come a qualified florist. Was I scared, well not really it was a passion and I was determined.

Did the first course perhaps help that? Heck yeah.

You are more mature, stop putting yourself down as if you "can't" there is no such word.

Start studying now.

Study words, language, something you like and are interested in, just read online, look on google, so you start going "ahh I see, got it" and then go for it.
0 Replies