the wake

husker

Reply Sun 20 Feb, 2005 11:44 pm
having a difficult time right now - this hits too close to home for me. there is so much tension in my chest - I need to try and relax/
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 12:06 am
Dys and I just say there and cried when we read about Cav's death. He was one of the rare, special people who make life so rich.

Glad to be here with people I love remembering a young man we all loved so much. It is reassuring that the love we feel for Cav and that he returned so freely will always live within us.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 12:28 am
I don't shed tears often and less so for people I've never met but I did twice tonight, which I spent reading Cav's posts. I laughed my a$$ off a couple of times too at his unmistakable Canadian kindness and wit. Looking at his picture it just doesn't seem possible and it isn't right. He once recommended I pick up a bottle of Caymus, which I'll do, but in the mean time, I'm pulling the cork on a virtual bottle, spilling a mouthful, drinking and passing. So long Cav. Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 12:35 am
My God, I just do not know what to say. I've been in tears since I heard.

I know what you mean, O'Bill. I've never shed tears before for someone I only knew online. But Cav is....was....different.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 01:00 am
This is the sadest birthday morning I've ever had.
0 Replies

gravy

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 01:01 am
I just wanted to drop a note of condolences to you cav's friends.

Sorry for your loss, and hope the strength of the memories brings smiles to you long after the pain of his passing has abated.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 01:07 am
What can you say to something like this? I heard the news & everything stopped still. Goodbye, dear cav, we loved knowing you & sharing your life, your dreams, your great sense of fun & your amazing knowledge about food. You were wonderful! Bravo!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 01:18 am
... and dammit, cav, you've left a huge, aching space here that no other person can possibly fill.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 04:19 am
I just cannot say anything. Life is so unfair..

<shakes his head and walks off>
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:38 am
I feel such a personal loss. I never met the man in person but there was always that hope that on my next trip to Toronto that might be arranged. Now that hope is gone. Cav is at peace now, as his wonderful wife Buttercup pointed out on the other thread. We, on the other hand, are bereft of his wit and his reassuring presence. To coin a phrase, this sucks.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 06:58 am
I hope he knew how much he was loved. Im 24 hours delayed in the news and Im just going through the denial phase. Im stunned. I remember when he started that thread on
weepy songs" and then posted that Warren Zevon piece. I was reading it through tears.

I am sure we'll think of cav and smile.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:04 am
dyslexia wrote:
No formal speeches desired, though the deceased will not interfere if someone feels the urge. But keep it all simple and brief. And then a big happy raucous wake. We should have music, gay and lively music. we want bagpipes. And a flood of beer and booze! Lots of singing, dancing, talking, hollering, laughing, and lovemaking. And meat! Beans and chilis! And corn on the cob. Only a man deeply in love with life and hopelessly soft on humanity would specify, from beyond the grave, that his mourners receive corn on the cob.

I'm going to try to cook something that calls for capers in sea salt for this wake.

And bacon, because cavfancier once told me that the processed turkey bacon I was substituting just wasn't worth the trouble. That I should just enjoy the real thing.

So I will.

I take mild, wry amusement in the fact that Hunter S. Thompson is being greeted by Paul in Heaven this morning.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:12 am
I just found out about Cav now. What a loss. He was one of the really good people. whom I will always think of with love!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:12 am
PDiddie wrote:
"I take mild, wry amusement in the fact that Hunter S. Thompson is being greeted by Paul in Heaven this morning."

Yes, with Sandra Dee and John Raitt sanding by to add to the festivities!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 07:58 am
I will miss him.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:13 am
.......late into this thread and absolutely stunned by this news today......deepest sympathy to all Cav's family and friends.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:16 am
Link to the announcement and online guestbook

http://www.torontostarclassifieds.com/NASApp/OLCSApp/do/attribute_view_ad?categoryName=DEATHS&adID=302608
0 Replies

Tyche

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:30 am
Today I recieved the news that a friend had died. I had not spoken to him in a few months, which in internet time is almost as good as years, but the email apprising me of the occurance made me gasp and begin to sob all the same.

Cavfancier was a truly lovely human being, sharp and witty, and immensely talented. I wish beyond measure that I'd spoken to him more in the last little while, kept in contact more frequently, but now he's gone I can only be glad that I knew him at all. The tributes left here by his friends have had the tears pouring down my face ceaselessly, but it is no more than he deserves.

It is with shock and a great sadness that I return here to say goodbye to Cav the only way I can. Yet now it seems rather hopelessly inadequate. I can only say that I'll miss him. Today the girl in red wears black.

To the administration: This will be my one and only post. I hope you can forgive this minor infraction in light of the spirit in which it is written.

-Fortune
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:42 am
What a shock to find this post. My heart goes out to Mrs Cav. It also goes out to all his friends who will be posting here. It also brings forth thoughts of our own mortality. His struggles are over, ours continue for awhile. I'll miss him.

A quatrain from the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam came to mind:

Oh, threats of Hell and Hopes of Paradise!
One thing at least is certain--This Life flies;
One thing is certain and the rest is Lies;
The Flower that once has blown for ever dies.

Goodbye Cav.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Feb, 2005 08:45 am

Thanks, ehBeth!
0 Replies