the wake

msolga

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:09 am

I just reread the whole thread. Brilliant, funny, clever ... amazing, that cav! Very Happy That brought back SO many fond memories ....
& now I'm a wee bit weepy.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 07:38 am
I just did the same.

Had forgotten he called me god and gave me the day off! (It was a Sunday, afterall)

What a guy!

Looks like Buttercup has a birthday coming up on the 15th.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:30 am
<making a note>
<thinking>
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 10:23 pm
Very nice CodeBorg. :smile:
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:04 pm
Quote:
The unveiling of a monument
in memory of

PAUL JEFFREY MESBUR

will take place

Sunday, October 30, 1:00 p.m.
Pardes Shalom Cemetery

Dufferin Street north of Major Mackenzie
Community Section

Relatives and friends are invited
to join the family following the ceremony

I will be there.

Did some more research on the little stones <Gautam left one when he was here in March>

Quote:
It is also customary in some communities to place small stones on a gravesite when visiting it. ... The custom is not universal, even among traditional Jews, and there seems to be some doubt as to how it originated. It seems to have superstitious origins. It's a little like leaving a calling card for the dead person, to let them know you were there. Stones, unlike flowers, are permanent and do not get blown away in the wind. Some other sources suggest that it was originally done because we are required to erect a tombstone, and tombstones that actually looked like tombstones tended to get desecrated.

I'll be in New York the week before, so I'm going to pick up a small stone there - to take along - as well as a small stone from the beach here. I'll tell cav his friends miss him, and think of him.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:08 pm
What is the monument? The tombstone?

(Oh, how final. More final, even. You'd think it would have sunk in by now...)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:10 pm
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/lifecycle/Death/Burial_Mourning/TombstoneUnveiling.htm

Unveiling

It is customary for the grave marker to be put in place and for an unveiling ceremony to be held after the Kaddishperiod [11 months for parents and 30 days for other close relatives] is over, but no later than one year after the death. While many families wait until almost the full year has passed to do the unveiling, it may be done sooner; in Israel the stone is usually placed soon after sheloshim [the first 30 days of mourning].

The unveiling ceremony consists of the recitation of Psalms, a very brief eulogy encapsulating the most salient characteristics of the deceased, removing the cloth covering the headstone, the El Maleh Rahamim [God full of compassion--a prayer], and the Mourner's Kaddish[a prayer in praise of God recited by mourners]. Traditionally, Kaddish is not recited aloud if no minyan [quorum of 10]ispresent.

It is customary, before leaving the gravesite, to place a small stone on the marker to indicate that someone has visited the grave. This tradition may also reflect the biblical practice of marking the grave with a pile of stones. Or, it may be the end result of the custom of writing notes to the deceased and pushing them into crevices in the headstone just as notes are pushed into the Western Wall in Jerusalem. When no crevice could be found, the note was weighted down with a stone. In time, the paper disintegrated or blew away leaving only the stone. Thus, some began to think that the leaving of a stone was the custom... and so it became the custom.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:12 pm
Makes sense.

(My dad's Jewish, but resolutely secular, and I don't know a lot of this stuff.)

I like that it allows for the fact that grief doesn't magically end after the funeral.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:17 pm
I studied all of this about mmmmmmm 30 years ago. I liked it then - and it makes a lot of sense in practice as I errrrrrr mature.

I really liked a Bar Mitzvah I went to a coupla years ago. That is, I liked the temple part.

<I just realized that Gautam and I went to say goodbye to Paul at just about the 30 day mark, so Gautam's placing of his stone was more timely than we knew at the time>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:22 pm
Thanks for the notice. Not being nearby I am still in this neverland place of thinking he is off travelling or exceptionally busy.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:25 pm
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:26 pm
still recent enough to bring on a tear.....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 09:27 pm
same here, msolga.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:01 pm
ossobuco wrote:
...I am still in this neverland place of thinking he is off travelling or exceptionally busy.

He may well be travelling or be being busy, Osso. For all we know....

I prefer to think a part of him is still here with us, and will be for as long as we remember him.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:06 pm
<sigh>

Beth, thanks for being our delegate.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2005 10:35 pm
Can I send you a little stone to drop off for me? It seems like a very worthy and touching ritual you've found, Beth. I happen to have a perfect little stone that I picked up yesterday.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:09 am
ehbeth, pls tell buttercup and the cav family that my thoughts are with them. I wish I could be there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:20 am
I still miss cav enormously. Some people are just special & cav was very special indeed. My very best wishes to buttercup at this time. I'm hoping that life is treating you exceptionally well right now. You certainly deserve it! Smile
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 08:24 am
Cav left a hole in my heart when he left us here. Most often I think of him late at night as that is when I got to know him best.

Back in those days when I was in sorry shape indeed he was always there for me. On line and sharing my pain he comforted me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 09:12 am
Oh, I really like Piffka's idea. Would that be OK? It allows a participation that would help a lot.
0 Replies