the wake

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 02:25 pm
Late to the party as usual. I know that is how Cav would have wanted us to celebrate his life.

On Sunday I received an e-mail from a good friend, about the death of another good friend. What to say except that I have a hole in my heart that used to be filled with Cav's words of wisdom, silliness, and good wishs for me.

I will sit you guys - I will bring the tissue for the tears of sadness and happiness as we remember our good friend.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 03:31 pm
I still feel sad days later but a little bit better than I was when I initially found out, because I am happier for having known (online) the wonderful Cav-man and where would you be without the experiences we all share with each other? You guys make me laugh, cry, think and wonder. That thought alone makes me happy to have made his acquaintance - something I can hold onto and be appreciative of.

Mucho grassy-arse Cav wherever you may be!
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2005 05:39 pm
Good to see Will'O here with mezzie and Buttercup. All of you give us some personal sense of cav having lived with people who loved him as much as he loved in return.

I'm loving the mental image of the jazz band marching in N'Orleans in honor of Cav. Oh yes.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 4 Mar, 2005 10:57 am
I've got some minutes ago an email by Rick d'Israeli, who used to post here frequently some time ago, from the Netherlands.

He asked me to post this on his behalf, "so that the members know I'm grieving with them." :

Quote:
This afternoon I heard from Col Man that Paul (Cavfancier) has died. While I'm typing this it still seems so hard to believe. When I was active on A2K, Cavfancier was one of my favorite members. He always made me laugh - he had a great sense of humor -, but was also willing to have a good debate. I didn't know him in real life, but judging from his posts he must have been a great guy! My sympathy goes to his family, his friends and all the A2K-members who now have to miss him. A2K has lost one of its most valuable members.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 7 Mar, 2005 06:47 pm
I miss you, cav.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 12:41 am
I know what you mean, ehBeth. A couple of times lately I've been reading through an old thread and suddenly come upon some post of his, and it gives me such a smile. It's as if he's still here.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 8 Mar, 2005 01:54 am
Yes. Cav is very much missed but very much still here on all those threads!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 10 Mar, 2005 06:12 pm
ok, cav

a joke's a joke, but really!

it snowed the day you left

it snowed when we drove north with you

now, Gautam is on his way to say goodbye - and it's going to snow again

Shocked

<and wait'll you see who's going along to meet Gautam Laughing >
msolga

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 12:05 am
<thinking>

ehBeth

Was cav partial to snow?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:47 am
msOlga

colorbook wrote:
This is one of my favorite poems that he wrote and also one of his last.

Cav Wrote:

Quote:

HOARFROST

Fresh falling snow,
each flake unique.

Those lucky
to cling to branches
join the elite order
of hoarfrost,

laughing at their brethren
below, trampled, shoveled,
driven over,
broken down,
salted
(what are we, caviar?)
until each individual
is crushed
into an unreconizable
brown slush.

An unexpected warm day
proves the equalizer.
0 Replies

Mrs Buttercup Cavfancier

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 07:21 pm
Yes, I noticed that, too. We didn't have very much snow in Toronto this year, until after Cav left. Now it's snowing all the time. Maybe it's because the wee Cav loves to play in the snow, and he loved to watch the wee Cav play... Smile
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 11 Mar, 2005 08:56 pm
<smiles> It's snowing a lot here too and it's beautiful. I do hope he's enjoying it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 06:10 am
OB, are you nuts or do you need a dandruff treatment?. It Never snows in Palm Beach and even if it did, the snow would last one nanosecond.

oh wait, youre from the land of cheese

never mind
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 09:02 am
That's right Farmerman. I'm back in Wisconsin about an hour South of Title Town. I now get to play in, and snowblow, from the same storms as the Canucks... and I'm loving it!
0 Replies

hiama

Reply Mon 14 Mar, 2005 05:51 am
Mrs Buttercup-Cavfancier

I have only just heard and so forgive this late response.

Cav was a rare and gifted human being who lifted us all and frequently I left his threads with a smile on my face. I wish I had met him.

I will miss him and send you my heartfelt condolences.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Tue 15 Mar, 2005 08:34 am
Dear Buttercup,

It's been snowing in New York as well, although it is interspersed lately with almost Springlike weather. It's been beautiful while the snow is falling, but the accumulation has been minimal, so it hasn't gotten that dirty snow look as it does when there is a sustained snowfall.

Do you like the snow?

hiama wrote:
Mrs Buttercup-Cavfancier

I have only just heard and so forgive this late response.

Cav was a rare and gifted human being who lifted us all and frequently I left his threads with a smile on my face. I wish I had met him.

I will miss him and send you my heartfelt condolences.

HIAMA, my dear old friend, where have you bean? Please send an answer on the Cafe thread.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 05:53 am
Ever since cav passed away, I have been trying to post my eulogy, but somehow I could not do it - simply because I could not bring myself to believe that our naughty, talented, friendly chef had left us. I never had the pleasure of meeting Cav in real life and the knowledge that he passed away 2 weeks before I was to do that will haunt me, probably for the rest of my life.

This last weekend, I finally saw him - in his final resting place. He welcomed me with snow, and we all marvelled on the fact that he knew I was there. I spoke to him, and left him a token of my love next to him. In some ways this has helped me to come to a closure abt his death, and maybe I will be able to put some words down for him. I will certainly try.

I think it is impossible to describe the impact cav had on the people he met during his short life. Everyone he came in contact with, he had a positive influence on them in some way. I still remember the first time I had met cav - on abuzz, where I refused to believe he was straight. I still remember telling him "whoever has heard of a straight chef?" Smile)

Such was his personality, that he was something different to everyone who knew him. Me, being a bit of a philistine when it comes to poetry and philosphy, never understood it, maybe because I never made an effort. I always thought there would be plenty of time later to do this. Little did I know. But for me, he was a fellow cook, someone to swap cooking tips with, teach each other how to make various dishes (though I could come no where close to his cooking talents, and to "teach" him was just a youthful(!!) fanatsy of mine) and we were allys in bashing up the gay bashers. I always looked up his posts, and always ended up smiling, even when I did not understand them, but simply because they were written by cav. I remember once when he could not sleep and I was online - we exchanged a flurry of PMs talking abt stuff, laughing together on the vagaries of this world.

According to Bhagwad Geeta,

No one is able to destroy the imperishable soul.

For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

As a person puts on new garments, giving up old ones, the soul similarly accepts new material bodies, giving up the old and useless ones.

Cav, my friend, you were too yng to go away, but your soul still live with us.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 06:23 am
I think he would have liked that gautam
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:32 am
I know he would have.

From all of us who could not be there, thank you for visiting him, G. I miss Cav very much.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 08:46 am
http://www.directupload.net/images/050317/zTd4U88K.gif
0 Replies