Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
wow!

that is a GREAT picture DD!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:07 am
DrewDad wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Hey -- how come I missed this thread for over a year? Bookmarking.

Politeness prevents me from speculating.... Wink

That's very kind of you, thanks. Wink

You say several times in this thread that Ya-ya "signs" words, and from your description it weren't trivial signs such as pointing at things etc. You may have explained it elsewhere, but what's the story behind this? Do you have someone deaf in your family, or were you inspired by Soz's reports of how sign language makes it easier for toddlers to articulate themselves?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:42 am
My wife is a psychologist; she's been interested in how babies communicate since forever.

Babies can utilize sign language long before they can talk.

There are lots of resources for folks interested in using signs with their babies. www.babysigns.com, www.signingtime.com, etc. The signing time videos are shown on public broadcasting in the US.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:45 am
Thomas, it's becoming more and more common here, which I heartily approve of!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
That's extremely cool! In Germany it would be very unusual for hearing parents to teach their toddlers Deutsche Gebärdensprache. From a quick Google search, it seems that a few academic psychologists are advocating the idea here. But in our mainstream press, signing for hearing toddlers is a complete non-issue, and I don't know any parents who tried it out.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:55 am
It both accelerates learning and reduces parental stress.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 09:57 am
DrewDad wrote:
It both accelerates learning and reduces parental stress.

I know. I believe Sozobe and I have been talking about it pretty much since we first met on the Web.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:05 am
Okiedokie, artichoke-ie
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:09 am
The part we hadn't talked about, though, is that the idea is now making inroads into the hearing, mainstream culture. That's what I found so cool when you said you and your wife apply it to Ya-Ya.

(Edit: Isn't Silicon Hills in Austin? If so, let me assure you that no offense was intended when I called you guys `mainstream'.)
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:20 am
lol!

I was just about to comment on the "mainstream" portion, but not in relation to where we live.

Yes, Austin is sometimes known as Silicon Hills. (Not to be confused with "silicone" hills, which are an entirely separate matter....)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
We have a SigningTime video. It's the only one that my little niece will actually sit for. My kids are a bit older, though, and never really got to make the best use of it when they were babies. It's one of those "if I had it to do over" things.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:42 am
Ah, having a psychologist mother.

After Yaya wrote on something that should not be written upon, T told her, "that makes me angry!"

"Good job telling your feelings, mama!"
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:24 am
OK, I'm trying to jog some braincells into relenquishing their memories. If you don't write this stuff down when it happens, it can be gone forever.

The other day I took Yaya with me to run some errands. While in the car, she proceded to tell me a story about how we are a family of nice monsters that don't scare people. Very detailed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 07:27 am
While waiting for dinner the other night, Yaya drew some portraits. Here's the picture she drew of me:

http://doodlebug.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/portrait_of_daddy_1.jpg

Here's a link to all four pictures.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 08:35 am
DrewDad wrote:
If you don't write this stuff down when it happens, it can be gone forever.

Tell me about it!

(Reminds me I have one for sozlet stories.)

Lovely drawing!!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:28 am
DrewDad wrote:
While waiting for dinner the other night, Yaya drew some portraits. Here's the picture she drew of me:

... the friendly-monster-in-chief. It's clear from Ya-ya's drawing that your hairdo must be impressing her. Razz I love it!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 10:31 am
She was quite studious about it. Looking from her paper to me and back again several times.

I think I may also want to cut down on the caffeine....
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 12:39 pm
DrewDad wrote:
I think I may also want to cut down on the caffeine....

Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 5 Apr, 2006 03:07 pm
Monsters...do monsters have to be perfectly toilet trained?
0 Replies