Haliburton Profit $9 BILLION - So Far!

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:23 pm
http://bellaciao.org/en/article.php3?id_article=5312

Tuesday 15th February 2005 (00h24) :

Whistleblowers Detail Corruption and Fraud at Halliburton during Senate Hearing

Senator Byron Dorgan convened a hearing to shed light on the recent revelations of contractor corruption in Iraq. Democratic Senators were fired up about the blatant fraud and theft from the American taxpayers. And since Bush's new budget cuts education again, it is truly a theft from our children. No Republicans attended the hearing.

Senator Dorgan: "To see this kind of waste and this kind of corporate culture say, 'What the hell, it's just the American taxpayer- stick it to 'em...' Shame on them, shame on them. And shame on those who refuse to investigate... if we're paying $2.60 today for gasoline [in Iraq], it ought to stop this afternoon."

Details of the corruption:

Halliburton has reportedly overcharged us $100 million dollars for fuel. They charged the US taxpayers $2.64 per gallon to import gasoline from Kuwait to Iraq, $1 more than the going rate. (Note- before the war, Iraqis bought gas for about a nickel per gallon.)
Halliburton charged for 42,000 meals per day when it only delivered 14,000 per day. "That's not a snafu, that's cheating," said Dorgan.
Buyers were instructed to purchase from 'preferred suppliers' using purchase orders less than $2,500. (because these were not audited)
Instructed not to use spreadsheets to avoid generating any kind of electronic trail.
KBR managers frequently used phrases like, "don't worry about the price, it's cost plus"
Cost Plus contracts gave no motivation to keep costs down since the higher the price, the more $$ they made.
Halliburton has 'earned' $9 billion in Iraq thus far.

Senator Dorgan was clearly furious at this information, "We want the truth and we want it now. We are determined to shut down this waste and abuse."

One example of waste was a contract for embroidered towels. The original batch of plain towels was returned for the higher priced towels embroidered with KBR's logo- higher price translated to more profit for KBR. If this practice was used for all purchasing in Iraq, Halliburton may be forced to repay billions of dollars.

Senator Lautenberg, "When you have a business that says- the more money you spend, the more you make- there is something unholy about that."

Senator Durbin hit the nail on the head: "Why are we here on Capitol hill, if it's not to serve as an oversight of these activities. Historically Congress has done that." During WWII a Democratic President and a Democratic Congress launched the Truman Committee and uncovered the truth. "And yet we find with a Republican President and a Republican Congress, no Republican is willing to step forward and ask the hard questions. Why? How can we explain this? I don't think there is an explanation."

Sen. Boxer sent a letter to Rumsfeld asking him to begin disbarrment proceedings, "Halliburton should be banned immediately from bidding on any federal contract for a number of years."

Representing Rep. Waxman, William Hartung said that this corruption is also harming our troops. They don't have the supplies they need while money is being wasted through this corruption. Hartung said, "I have never seen this level of corruption and cronyism."

Read the rest at the link provided above.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,112 • Replies: 45
No top replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:28 pm
If all that is 100% correct, it's still just a drop in the ocean compared to the total fraud and corruption that goes on throughout our gov't everyday...who's harping on that? What no agenda for it? Boxer? hmmmmm...

Keep things in perspective.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:41 pm
A democrat wanting to stop waste in government? Wow! Do you think that next they will actually look at some of the other wasteful things his fellow democrats spend money on?

(I am not contesting the accusations, just the hypocrisy of it all)
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:46 pm
I'm trying to think of one giant or small gov't project in history where there weren't cost overruns, palms greased etc.....hmmmmm....can't think of one.

Anyhone...anyone.....anyone?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 01:47 pm
Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:03 pm
I heard the Federal Government provided $150K to the Grammy's!!!! Now, why on earth is the government spending our money to throw a party for a bunch of rich musicians??? I am outraged!

Was that on-topic?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:05 pm
Figures the two of you would show up to defend $9 BILLION dollars in profit to the company formerly run by Cheney.

So, predictable.

And the right claims to have a corner on morals and family values. Where the heck do you think that $9 BILLION came from? Not Iraqi families.

Just keep bending over, fella's. You get what you deserve.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:06 pm
Close enough Tico, close enough. :wink:
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:07 pm
OOOOPS! Three of you show up to defend the raping of the populace. You all are Sooooo cool!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:09 pm
squinney wrote:
Figures the two of you would show up to defend $9 BILLION dollars in profit to the company formerly run by Cheney.

So, predictable.

And the right claims to have a corner on morals and family values. Where the heck do you think that $9 BILLION came from? Not Iraqi families.

No one is defending it. And it makes no difference who formerly ran the company. The only point anyone has made is that this is not news, it is the same old thing that always goes on. A great reason why I want government in control of as little of my money as possible, whether they are democrats or republicans or lilliputians makes no difference to me.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:10 pm
squinney wrote:
OOOOPS! Three of you show up to defend the raping of the populace. You all are Sooooo cool!

Hold on...I'm not defending and would never defend the kind of foolishness that goes on.

Just wondering why Haliburton gets picked to death when there is so much more that goes on.....and if it weren't Haliburton doing the work in Iraq it'd be some other overcharging contracter. That's just the nature of the beast.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:16 pm
Exactly Brand. If any of this is provable against Halliburton, then I hope the company pays for it in whatever way our government can legally go after them. But I cannot help but wonder if those good democrats would be bringing this up if Halliburton had formerly been run by Sen. Byrd of WV. Hmmm.....???
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:20 pm
Interesting.

Same fella used to be involved at H., who's now involved with U.S. government at the time of greatest increase in spending/greatest increase in size of government. Is anyone startled? Shouldn't be.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:29 pm
I grew up near where the Tennessee Valley Authority was building a few nuclear plants, knew people who worked for TVA and for companies they contracted....oh the many ways the gov't got screwed. No checks and balances in place, and no one cared.... it wasn't their money....or so they thought.

The gov't paid like $50 for your ordinary everyday claw hammer etc., and we're talking 1970's dollars mind you, it got more ridiculous from there.

So when I hear all the Haliburton slamming, I don't like what they're doing, but I think back to TVA and it's all so familiar.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:39 pm
well, I agree that this is pretty much business as usual re gov't contracts especially the 'cost plus contracts' and to many citizens the name of Cheney is not one of noted trust involving $. I am thinking this would be a good time to review the entire process of pentagon contracts (difficult to do because the pentagon hides behind and obscures $ for "security needs". on the other hand I don't imagine many on the hill really want anyone looking too closely at just where the money goes because they would look like the shitheads they are. In this arena the Dems and the Repubs are pretty much on an even keel.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:43 pm
squinney wrote:

So, predictable.

squinney wrote:

lol. Not sure if my post counts as "defending the raping of the populace, but whatever floats your boat.

BTW, for future reference, BPB would have ended his post by saying something along the lines of, "Now lets see the conservatives come out of the woodwork to defend this one," or something along those lines. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 02:45 pm
Absolutely Dys. Of course, maybe we can find that fairytale land where everyone is honest and companies would never, ever think about overcharging the government.

Kinda like cheating on taxes. A lot of people do it, so who do you blame. The government for not catching them at it or the people who are doing the cheating?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:07 pm
CR- And, maybe while you're looking you can find that fairytale land where a guy getting a blowjob is no big deal... since it isn't. How much was wasted on THAT charade?

Government as usual? That's a wimpy argument. We should all be outraged. Lack of outrage from the people footing the bill is exactly what they count on.

The thing is, conservatives / Republicans are supposed to be the proponents of smaller government and less waste. The travesty here is that while Bush is cutting funds to education and other programs that benefit Americans (and America) and is claiming to get rid of waste and downsize the government, $9 BILLION dollars is being put in the pocket of one company!

That's a hell of a lot of education!
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:18 pm
Squinney, I've spent the last 30 years of my life being outraged at the stuff our government spends money on. They have wasted enough money just in my life time to probably run the government tax free for a year. But your post seems to be treating this as though it has never ever happened before. And to top it off, you somehow point a finger and say it is happening because of the current admin. You're wrong and I won't sit here and debate the point.

And why bring Clinton and his blowjob (on our time-not his and in his work place-not his home or a hotel) into this? Of course, you see nothing wrong with his blow-job. Neither do I if done on his time and in his home. Are you saying it was perfectly ok? If so, and you work somewhere, why not go into your workplace tomorrow and have hubby come in on company time and give him a blow-job. Bet your employer would not be too happy. So personally, I think the money spent investigating his perjury, which led to the blowjob revelations, money well spent. Unless you would rather not spend money to investigate crimes.

Good thing I didn't bring up Clinton or you would be complaining about repubs constantly having to bring his name up. Guess it is ok when you do it though.

Ah well, have a good day.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 16 Feb, 2005 03:27 pm
squinney, I'll gladly pay you tuesday for a hamburger today.
0 Replies