13

what are the best comeback replies to defend an insult/troll/ bully?

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 04:23 pm
@maxdancona,
Yes

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 06:17 pm
farmerman wrote:

only if you live in the parts of the US where we buy TARS for our cars

I get tars for my car and awl for my engine.

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 07:31 pm
@chai2,
When I lived in Tulsa, I went into Oklahoma Tire and Supply and asked for prices on tires. The guy adjusted his little bow tie and thumbed through his massive catalog (this was circa 1975). I understood the problem, leaned over the counter and said I wanted to buy some TARS. Boy, did he know what to do then.

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:17 pm
@roger,
I’ve been saying insurance with the accent on the first syllable for at
least 2 decades now.

I also learned to say pecan in a way that doesn’t sound like i’m talking about a tin for urine.

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:20 pm
@chai2,
Does your truck sound like a pee cup?

2  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:23 pm
@roger,
Maybe when i’m In Mexico

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:33 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

farmerman wrote:

I had a neighbor kid make fun of me for calling 'aigs' eggs.

3  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 08:38 pm
@roger,
How strange. We have derailed a thread about smacking down trolls and bullies, with a pleasant talk where everyone is joking being nice to each other...

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:11 pm
@maxdancona,
Weird, huh?

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 09:14 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

chai2 wrote:

I woulda smashed a grapefruit in his face.

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:38 pm
@chai2,
You are from Texas.

Razzleg

1  
Reply Thu 26 Apr, 2018 11:41 pm
@natureboi,
natureboi wrote:

So if you get trolled or something in a social gathering or parties, what do you think are the best replies?. Or staying in silence is the best reply? Or should we push the wall on em ??

I don't often give advice, but this is what has worked for me in the past:

If you're in a real life situation, unless you're looking for escalation, i find it easier to to confront the statement head on for what it is and tell the person to stop, ie: "please, stop being an asshole." (Or if you need to be polite for professional reasons, whatever you think the appropriate version of "hey, don't be an asshole" happens to be. But I think that addressing the provocation, rather than the specific wording is important.) If they continue, or anyone eggs them on, then leave that group until they make it clear that the behavior won't be tolerated going forward. (This is obviously advice intended for a casual social event, rather than a "professionally advisable" one. If your career is involved these sorts of situations become more complicated, and you are the best judge of the response.)

If you're really talking about online interactions, i find the best counter-troll is to look up their tl, and to quote something ridiculous they've written recently and say something like, "the guy who just said X to me also said Y". Tag friends and allies in the post, or pm your friends, or forward the exchange to include it on a celebs timeline, or whatever; online trolls target you because they think you're isolated, if your friends show up, or even if just those who are of a similar opinion show up, they buckle like a belt...

Love2Love

1  
Reply Sun 27 May, 2018 09:08 pm
It depends on the insult, but by default the best answer to the fool is silence.

Show them some manners first though. If they persist, then it's established they're a fool.