Where does corporate responsibility start on the issue of institutionalized racism? Starbucks

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:32 am
@Lash,
And you know those white people didn't buy anything?

This particular Starbucks is in an area of Philly where it is not at all uncommon for blacks to patronize the shop.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:33 am
@Lash,
Can we see evidence of this?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:36 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
They arrived in the store at 4:35, the police were called at 4:37. Thank goodness it was a white woman recording the incident. It would have never been heard of otherwise.

This defies credulity.

It would mean that the minute (literally) two black men entered the shop, the manager was bound and determined to call the cops on them.

It would take more than two minutes for them to enter the shop, find a place to sit down and then ask for the restroom passkey.
PUNKEY

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:40 am
They came in at 4:35, the incident happened, and police were called at 4:37?

Anyone ever been waited on that fast at Starbucks?
Lash

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:44 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Here’s one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.www.complex.com/life/2018/04/video-appears-to-show-black-man-being-denied-access-to-starbucks-bathroom
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:45 am
@PUNKEY,
Absolutely.

It's pure fiction.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:46 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

They came in at 4:35, the incident happened, and police were called at 4:37?

Anyone ever been waited on that fast at Starbucks?

That's insane! The frakking Starbucks couldn't wait 10 to 15 minutes before questioning the two men? Even then wait another 10 to 15 minutes if they really felt the need to call the police.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/starbucks-racism-video-remarkable-just-how-unremarkable-it-black-americans-ncna867461

Quote:
On social media, many white people expressed shock. Who hasn’t ducked into a local Starbucks to take advantage of its bathroom or internet or electrical outlets? But this simply is not the experience of many black people, myself included, who know all too well the pressure to buy something unwanted or unnecessary in order to avoid added scrutiny — a Black Tax, if you will.

Quote:
The uncomfortable truth for white America is, again, that while this incident went viral, it is only remarkable because of how unremarkable it actually is. In the days immediately following the Philadelphia incident another video surfaced of a black man being denied entry into a Starbucks bathroom in southern California while a white man was given access without question.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:49 am
@Lash,
"Appears"

Not proof of anything

Starbucks is hardly recruiting its baristas from the KKK
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:50 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Who hasn’t ducked into a local Starbucks to take advantage of its bathroom?

Me for one
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:52 am
@tsarstepan,
It would be insane if it were true, but there is no way this could have happened in two minutes unless the manager get's on the phone to call the police as soon as she sees blacks enter her shop. It's a ridiculous claim.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:53 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/04/16/black-man-videotapes-starbucks-refusal-let-him-use-restroom/521233002/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:54 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

It would be insane if it were true, but there is no way this could have happened in two minutes unless the manager get's on the phone to call the police as soon as she sees blacks enter her shop. It's a ridiculous claim.

it it ridiculous for sure

it's also reality for many POC in North America
ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
Starbucks is hardly recruiting its baristas from the KKK

that's a bit of a jump eh

from casual racism to the KKK

casual racism is perhaps more harmful in the long run - less obvious to those who aren't paying attention
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Quote:
Who hasn’t ducked into a local Starbucks to take advantage of its bathroom?

Me for one

In NYC? Starbucks (I'd guess 33 to 40%) is a well known place for its public bathrooms. On the other hand? Starbucks in NYC restrooms are pretty nasty. I don't blame corporations for not letting random individuals from using their restrooms without being customers. But all in all, the individual employees/management in question overreacted in a very overkilly way. I believe even you know that but aren't willing to concede even the tiniest millimeter of sensibility.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 10:58 am
@ehBeth,
So now not only are you an authority on coffee shop culture you are as well on POC reality. Rolling Eyes
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:01 am
@ehBeth,
Calling the cops on black patrons within 2 minutes of their entry into the shop can hardly be described as casual racism. That term, btw, is offensive. There is nothing casual about racism. However, it does allow SJW's to bleat about all sorts of things that do not involve racism.
Lash

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:02 am
The woman being interviewed is Melissa Depino. She’s the one who videoed the arrest. She states that there was a woman who’d been sitting there for an hour, drinking Gatorade that she’d brought in, and that the previous day, she herself had been there an hour without making a purchase.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/04/17/philadelphia-starbucks-arrest-video-witness-depino-sot-ctn.cnn/video/playlists/starbucks/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:04 am
@tsarstepan,
Sorry but you don't know my mind and I wish you and others of your tribe would stop trying to suggest you do. It's a very lazy and arrogant rhetorical device.

From everything I've read about this incident, I don't find racism at play.

Just because you are black doesn't mean you can't be an asshole.

Lash

Reply Fri 20 Apr, 2018 11:05 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Casual racism is a thing. It could be called accidental or unintentional racism.

A lot of people are afraid or suspicious of people from certain backgrounds or of certain appearances. It seems very likely that fear or unwarranted suspicion drove these cases.
0 Replies