DIY question about restoring glass and metal coffee table

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:53 am
https://i.imgur.com/a5CVkOQ.jpg
This coffee table has been outside a neighbor's house for at least as long as I've been at this new residence (about January).

If I can get permission to take it away, I would like to restore it (or at least get it to the point where it won't further decay).

Thinking about putting a layer of sealant or coating of paint (not sure what kind would be best) over the metal framework. The glass I'll simply clean and take it mostly as is.

Any help?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
Sturgis
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2018 11:33 pm
@tsarstepan,
Start off by smoothing out any bumps or nodes. To do this don a pair of work gloves of the latex/rubber variety. Use sand paper and/or steel wool to smooth everything out nice and even.

Okay, you did that, now you need to brush off the entire surface. (Yeah, you can take a hose to it and rinse, but then you have to quickly dry the table so that new rust won't start up).

Next use a metal paint (that is, a paint specifically made for painting metal). Paint evenly (use a brush, spray paint often leads to random bubble-drops and screws up the appearance). Let it dry. Feeling ambitious and generous? Go for a second coat. This will help protect your table from an occasional bump or hit.

For extra pizzazz you can add an enamel finish or a shiny clear lacquer.

Do all work outside with good ventilation. Your respiratory system will thank you.

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2018 08:02 am
@Sturgis,
I'll start looking into the supplies at Home Depot. ((hugs))
0 Replies