Building A website

Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 01:53 pm
Can anyone point me in the right direction for someone who wants to build a website but doesn't want to use a template?

User has little to no knowledge in web building. Not looking to put flash or java or anything like that on the site. (in the future perhaps). Just looking for an easy tutorial that will help with the creation of a a website.

p.s. user is me.... so the simpler the better :-D

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:11 pm
@Seed,
It all depends on what kind of website (purpose and intent) are you looking into building/designing/creating for world consumption.

If you building a blog ... I use http://squarespace.com. I'm new to blogging and it's pretty user friendly. Plus you don't have to use their templates if you really don't want to.

Then there is https://www.blogger.com/start and http://wordpress.org/ both reputable blogging services.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
You can get a discount to Square Space if you go through this enter:
Twit in the coupon code.
Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
Not so much about blogging. Just a basic website. But then again, as I don't know much about building one, this might be a bit broader of a question then I realize.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:31 pm
@Seed,
If your looking into webhosting ... Leo Laporte, a tech guru I trust says:
Quote:
What about GoDaddy.com for hosting? Leo says AVOID it. He doesn’t recommend it.

http://techguylabs.com/radio/ShowNotes/Show481
Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
Ok then. for the next apparent question that pops up in my garbled mess of a brain: What is the difference between web hosting and website building?

(I will place my answer to this question here: To build a website from scratch you need an empty domain and thus you need to host a site?)
engineer

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:35 pm
@Seed,
Do an Internet search for "html tutorial" to find many help guides. You can start here: http://www.w3schools.com/html/
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:38 pm
@Seed,
Webhosting is an empty loft/apartment where you bring in your own furniture to furnish.
Website building gives you the loft or condo/apartment and you can use a variety of furniture from the company to design a website that fits your needs.

At least that's how I understand it.
Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan! Im not looking for real estate! gosh!

lol naw thats a good way to put it. Sometimes I guess things are better left to the professionals and friends that know how to do it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:48 pm
Following - thinking about making a website for my photography, with different pages for different photo subjects. Also thinking of not doing that, and using various existing photo sites. Or maybe doing both, depending on the content.

I'll have to review the possible templates that are out there, the pros and cons of using them.

So, listening here.
engineer

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:52 pm
@ossobuco,
There are several web page authoring programs that allow you to quickly create web sites. Front Page is the Microsoft product, but many others are available. I thought the poster wanted to learn the basics, so I posted the HTML tutorial, but those higher level programs are much more efficient.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
A few tips to register a domain-name:
http://cnettv.cnet.com/quick-tips-register-domain-name/9742-1_53-50002170.html?tag=rtcol;relvideos
0 Replies

mm25075

I have used FrontPage (software) to create a few websites and then used a web hosting company to upload it to the web. GoDaddy is my fav web hosting.

FrontPage is ok if you know how to use Microsoft Word as long as you don't go messing around the the HTML code page.
0 Replies

Seed

@ossobuco,
Somewhat, what I was looking to do. I can of want to be able to do my own type of template (wrong word to use I know). And I don't really like templates out there that I have seen.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:54 pm
@engineer,
I might not mind learning html..
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:55 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

There are several web page authoring programs that allow you to quickly create web sites. Front Page is the Microsoft product, but many others are available. I thought the poster wanted to learn the basics, so I posted the HTML tutorial, but those higher level programs are much more efficient.

Sorry I totally missed your post between reading new post and replying. book marking that time now Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:56 pm
@Seed,
I've looked at different art websites over the years, and back when I had a gallery had very strong opinions re font and layout - many sites are too too tacky poo for me.
Seed

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 02:58 pm
@ossobuco,
I have a lot of pictures from Iraq I want to put up. But I want to do it in a certain way that doesn't scream "this is rip off of some local social site"
Wy

Reply Thu 17 Dec, 2009 08:27 pm
@Seed,
Hi Seed,
I've been a fulltime community college student for the past year, studying to get a Certificate in Website Design. Here are some thoughts and resources for you.

A website is a computer file (or, more likely, a group of files). That's all. You can look at your files locally and, while they won't have all the features of a live site, you'll be able to see what the pages look like.

In order to make these pages available to the general public, and allow interaction, you have to have a place to put them that everyone can get to. This place is a domain. Services like Freehostia and DreamHost (and a lot of others) offer space on their computers where you can put your files and an address (URL) to give out so that others can access your files.

Sam's Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML and CSS in One Hour a Day (5th Edition) by Laura Lemay and Rafe Colburn is a great basic reference and instructional book. The Quick Start series of books is consistently good, too. W3C Schools' website has tons of info.

It's pretty easy to make simple pages. Sketch out what you want on paper first, and build your page step-by-step. Make sure one thing works and looks the way you want it to before you add more.

You may find that the best way for you is to start with a template and delete the things you don't want... or find a template for a blank white page and start from there.

Good luck!
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 18 Dec, 2009 06:18 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:
You can get a discount to Square Space....

Whoa, you are paying for that? Blogs are usually free, and paying for them gets you no ads and your own domain. I saw your url on their domain and you'd be better off with a free Wordpress.com blog if you aren't going to run it on your own domain. You'd actually be better off with Wordpress in general because they are open source and in addition to their hosting they have the best blog software available for download. So you could use their hosted blog services (from their .com site) for free on their domain, or use their hosted blog services for money on your domain, or download the software (from their .org site) and run it yourself. Or you could start with them hosting it and move to your own hosted solution one day if the blog gets big. But by using square space without using your own domain you are using a paid service but can't easily take whatever you build with you.
0 Replies