Foam sealant question for hole in wooden floor

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 06:48 am
I'm thinking about filling a good size hole in my living room floor (under the cast iron steam heater by the wall). Its about an inch or so wide and 5 or 6 inches long. The hole is mostly covered up by the heater but still is somewhat visible.

I'm thinking about filing the hole with some kind of fabric or cheap improvised insulation then spraying two or more foam sealant cans to fill in the remaining hole. After the main hole is sealed relatively tightly then I'll figure where to go from there if I need to fix it up cosmetically.

Does anyone know what fire block rated means? Do you think I need to use that version of the foam instead of non-fire block rated foam because it's under the heater? Will the heater effect the non-fire block rated foam?

Does anyone know if this foam can effect pets (we have one cat) while its drying/setting or after its set?

View best answer, chosen by tsarstepan
jcboy
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 08:27 am
@tsarstepan,
When they were replacing the windows in my house they used this sealant around every window. I had the two cats at the time, was non-toxic. I also had the same thing you have, an old furnish pipe was sticking up through the floor, had it cut off and used the sealant, then used a wood putty, sanded it, stained and re-varnished. Came out nice.

http://www.ruralking.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/0/6/060330037.jpg
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:38 am
@jcboy,
Do you think it'd be safe from melting underneath one of those old fashioned cast iron steam heaters without melting after it has set?
jcboy

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 11:50 am
@tsarstepan,
They also have another one that is heat resistant. One can goes a long way, the foam spreads out and hardens.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31em%2B73zUzL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:13 pm
@tsarstepan,
"I'm thinking about filing the hole with some kind of fabric or cheap improvised insulation"

no fabric.

or improvised insulation...

I would suggest a $20 can of fiberglass reinforced bondo.

dries hard as a rock, can be sanded and painted.

and won't burn...
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:18 pm
@tsarstepan,
are there any valves or pipes below the hole?
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 12:55 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll look (hesitatingly because I noticed a Godzilla sized cock roach use the hole for an entrance/exit into my apartment) and see.
http://images.wikia.com/spongebobandfriendsadventures/images/5/5d/Dr_cockroach.jpg

I doubt it because clearly the hole is from damage to the floor and never was meant as an access point to any pipes or electrical wiring, etc....
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:01 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead is right.
If you don't want to use all Bondo, fill 3/4 of the hole with Water Putty. Very cheap and essentially very good dry mud.

Joe(get mixing)Nation
ehBeth

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
Where is the valve for the radiator?

When one of my rad valves got sick, the repair point was under the rad.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:34 pm
@ehBeth,
I'll tell you when I get home. I do believe that the valve is above floor level. An inch or so above where the floor was.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:59 pm
@Joe Nation,
I'd pack it with steel wool, then add filler, but water putty works, too.

is this stuff gonna drip into the poor schmuck below you's apartment?
Joe Nation

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 03:20 pm
@Rockhead,
ha.

Quote:

<knock knock knock>
Who's there?
Your neighbor from downstairs. Have you go the Ghostbusters in there?
Wha? No. Why?
Because there seems to be ectoplasm coming through my ceiling.

Joe(I'll be right down to have a look)Nation
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 06:13 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:

I'd pack it with steel wool, then add filler, but water putty works, too.

Didn't go with the putty because the hole is much deeper then I could calculate. Ended up using 1 and a half foam sealant containers and without the filler (fabric, etc...) Closed off the hole from the top down. Came out like whipped cream. Strange stuff. It's 'curing' as I type.
0 Replies

TimeTravel

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 05:34 pm
@tsarstepan,
I studied thermodynamics in a previous life when I was trying to be an engineer, and it is my assumption that a steam radiator can never exceed 212 degrees F and that is far below combustion rates for all materials and insulation, and virtually all materials will work okay for you, or at least be unaffected by the steam heating appliances, or baseboard, as long as the radiator or appliance is not leaking or venting in a way that might swell wood based materials. The foam is very messy, but after proper curing, you can trim it easy with a sharp knife. They have foam that is highly expansive, and foam that is mildly expansive. This foam is famous for expanding in window frames and door frames so much they can warp the frame or break the glass even. You did not describe the holes depth or under materials ... depth. I am curious what is under it, in essence, where is it going to expand. In summary, 212 degrees is not going to bother this foam, if you trim it
0 Replies

Luxury Living

Reply Wed 12 Sep, 2012 06:22 am
@tsarstepan,
I would suggest you go in for bondo-glass. It is handy, dries fast enough and it gets hard as rock. It is easy to use and spredas easily. you can also sand it if required.
0 Replies