Can I attach a propane tank to my lawn mower instead of using gasoline?

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 05:14 am
Is there an adapter kit on the market, or should I just run it through a garden hose and then drag the hose behind me? I think I can get the connections tight, doing it via hose route. Plus, I could run it off a bigger tank. My wife told me I should consult an expert before I do something as risky as this, but I feel I am about to revolutionize the entire do it yourself industry. Please give advice on how to make it work. Thanks in advance.

timur

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 05:34 am
@edgarblythe,
Well, it's quite possible and feasible if you are a good handyman.

Check out these links:

how it works

conversion kits
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 06:58 am
@edgarblythe,
It might be safer if you just put the propane tank from your grill in a back pack. You will look way cooler than this guy.

http://www.fresh-group.com/showpic.php?pic=imagestore/back-pac-vac3.jpg&txt=4
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:36 am
And if you only want to give the lawn a light trim, try mixing a bit of helium in so it semi floats.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2014 07:42 am
Add a couple of these nifty little propane torches to your lawnmower and you can tenderize the grass before you cut it. But make sure your lawn is well watered before using it.

http://image.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/390130/390130,1290344994,1/stock-photo-roofing-felt-installation-with-heating-and-melting-roll-of-bitumen-roll-by-torch-on-flame-65556733.jpg

As an added bonus you can now use your lawnmower to remove the snow from your driveway in winter making it useful year round.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 10:34 am
I was tired of the gas lawnmowers, always breaking down. I went out and bought one of those rechargeable ones at Lowes. I liked it so much I wanted the rechargeable edger/weed whacker to go with it. It was out of stock for over three months at Lowes, I finally found one on Amazon.
coluber2001

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 11:54 am
@jcboy,
Electric lawn mowers are good idea or even the manual ones.

The problem is that neither of these make enough noise to mark your miniature territorial kingdom like howling wolves. You'll be reduced to howling at night and repeatedly urinating in your yard for scent markers.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:03 pm
I don't even remember starting this useful thread.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:07 pm
@edgarblythe,
It was before you attached the propane to the mower.

That's probably why you don't remember it.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 12:08 pm
@coluber2001,
Razz

You're right about that, they are very quiet. Plus the edger give you a good workout, it's heavy because of the weight of the battery.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 02:20 pm
@edgarblythe,
I loved the whole thing. So what suggestion did you finally use?
coluber2001

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:04 pm
I use a manual reel mower. The problem with manual mowers is that you have to cut the grass more often. And they don't cut down the flower stems of weeds, so you end up having to use a sling blade to cut the stuff the mower just pushes down and doesn't cut.

Corded electric mowers would work, but the extension cord gets in the way. Battery powered mowers are good, but the extra batteries are expensive. So I guess I'm stuck with a manual mower.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:16 pm
@Mame,
I use the cheapest gas mower I could get. Yard's too big for electric or battery and I don't have a clue about other stuff. I like the old time push mowers but the new ones don't look like they are worth fooling with.
Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:19 pm
@edgarblythe,
You should have invested in a ride'em mower, edgar : ) I'd pay to see that.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:37 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
I use a manual reel mower. The problem with manual mowers is that you have to cut the grass more often. And they don't cut down
the flower stems of weeds, so you end up having to use a sling blade to cut the stuff the mower just pushes down and doesn't cut.
me too, and i'm OK with having to cut more often -- good exercise...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:38 pm
@Mame,
My yard is big but not suited for a riding mower. My daughter paid a lawn service for me this past summer and even they used a mower you walk behind.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 03:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
I think too much of you and your contributions here to encourage you in this endeavor. However if you can get someone you don't like to try it, let me know. I've got a smoked turkey leg trailer, I want a concession space.
Ragman

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 05:30 pm
@edgarblythe,
You’re in the area where AstroTurf was invented, right? Why not put in Astroturf? It’s green!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:00 pm
Astroturf is something I've never touched, long as I been in the area. Anyway Astroturf would be quickly destroyed by the roots of certain plants and the constant raining down of pine needles. Not sure how I would combat that. Unless I cut down the trees and had the lot graded clean.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2021 06:00 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
No, I want edgar to explore further... maybe a jet-propelled lawn mower where he can just sit in the tractor seat and raise a beer to his hated neighbours as he mows his weeds... and laugh his fool head off.... but I'll take a concession space for that, too. I don't have a smoked turkey leg trailer (whatever that is), but I can bring a Pulled Pork Piggy Pit (even if I have to make it out of cardboard).